Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448651 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

No, they are there.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I'm liking this version. It's running better than before, and hey, free substantial updates after the 1.0 is almost unheard of.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, took a look at it since I wasn't aware it had actually updated or not(there was nothing in my download history). It did. Is it just me, or do textures look a little... shiny? Possibly less detailed?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Hmm, took a look at it since I wasn't aware it had actually updated or not(there was nothing in my download history). It did. Is it just me, or do textures look a little... shiny? Possibly less detailed?
I think they moved to Physically Based Rendering. Which is basically a bunch of rendering techniques for making materials based on realistic settings. As a result, you can get metals that look like metals, complete with the shininess. As for the different look, a lot of it probably comes from that changeover. Though it looks like they're keeping most of the art style the same with it.

Also, the default graphics settings appear to have textures at half-rez, so you could try turning those up.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

psa: previous safe chute open altitude of 350mt is now unsafe, mk16 takes about 650mt to deploy and slow down the capsule to acceptable levels

some kerbals were sacrificed to bring you this information ::)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't played in a while, but it seems like straight up-and-down trajectories are very deadly now.

I used to test parts by packing just enough fuel to launch them straight up to their test altitudes.  For sub-orbital 100km+ trajectories, this can be very painful.

A pod might survive the heat on its own, and a heat shield will protect any science components you are bringing back... but there just isnt enough atmosphere to slow you down to a speed where a drogue chute wont shear off before you slam into the ground.

I brought Val back from a 250km trajectory, and used a retro-rocket to slow to an acceptable speed such that I could open the drogues at 3km and got the main chute open just under 1km.

Probably the preferred method would be to re-enter at an angle, but that means hauling more fuel, more cost, landing further away from KSP and less recovery value...

Or maybe it wont be an issue once I have larger rockets with greater surface area... or airbrakes...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Doesn't re-entering at an angle use less fuel than going straight down, assuming a circular starting orbit?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doesn't re-entering at an angle use less fuel than going straight down, assuming a circular starting orbit?

right, yes.  I was talking about part-test launches, which are often up-and-down.  no orbit involved.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Ah, right, the reference to Val made me think of a rescue contract, my bad.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently I haven't played in far too long (not since before they added in re-entry heat and breaking 'cutes) - I'm trying to get 4 VIPs up to 70k (not difficult) and back down in one piece (not working so well.) I can't seem to lose enough speed to deploy the parachutes before the ship is so close to the ground that the parachutes are unable to actually slow me down. I've been trying to fly a more angled ascent, but I can't say it's been terribly helpful.

Current thought is to take up a small booster so I can execute a retrograde burn, but I'd love to hear other advice.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A spare retrobooster/saving some fuel for braking burn is about the best idea I can think of. Maybe try a high-altitude plane if possible. Use normal airjets to get up as high as you can before firing off LF/O or SF boosters to hit the target altitude at a pretty forward angle. The transition between the two should be where it's hardest to control.

Also remember that you don't have to take every VIP at once... though doing so is generally far more cost-effective.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

psa: previous safe chute open altitude of 350mt is now unsafe, mk16 takes about 650mt to deploy and slow down the capsule to acceptable levels

some kerbals were sacrificed to bring you this information ::)

Deploying has gotten worse? I used to come screaming in straight down Kerbin polar out of Minmus and have about 50m to breathe heavily before touchdown at 5m/s. The 400m before that was ohmygodohmygodohmygod.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it bad that I lost interest in the new version and quit to read a book before I had even launched a rocket? I put two on the launchpad, unlocked two techs from reports etc at ground level, and then remembered the shape of things to come* and quit.

* = With regard to the science grind around KSC especially, but also remembering that there was nothing to look forward to in trying to travel to other planets save frustration.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile

Is it bad that I lost interest in the new version and quit to read a book before I had even launched a rocket? I put two on the launchpad, unlocked two techs from reports etc at ground level, and then remembered the shape of things to come* and quit.

* = With regard to the science grind around KSC especially, but also remembering that there was nothing to look forward to in trying to travel to other planets save frustration.

After doing the same thing at least 3 times over to various degree since Career came out, I'm on the same boat here. In fact I've already spent 1.0-1.05 building nothing but replica gliders and fighters except for maybe a single spaceplane that looked awfully like a MiG...Heresy, I know, but things are feeling a bit spent there.

Maybe I should go find a few good mods again, when they catch up.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Sounds like you need to get rid of the grind by starting straight in sandbox or with loads of money and starting science, grab some good kids and start colonising other planets.
I stopped playing after making my second rocket, I'm sure it used to be harder to get into orbit than just putting a bunch of the smallest tanks onto the first liquid engine. I guess I need a tech tree reorganisation or maybe I'll just nerf power values to add some difficulty. Also the world first bonuses gave me too much starting cash. I wonder if Kerbal Construction Time is updated for 1.1 yet.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 848