Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448253 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Regarding the problems with coming straight down from suborbital flight, I found the only way to deal with it, besides going sideways, is to do a burn to slow yourself down enough to use the chutes.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like you need to get rid of the grind by starting straight in sandbox or with loads of money and starting science, grab some good kids and start colonising other planets.
I stopped playing after making my second rocket, I'm sure it used to be harder to get into orbit than just putting a bunch of the smallest tanks onto the first liquid engine. I guess I need a tech tree reorganisation or maybe I'll just nerf power values to add some difficulty. Also the world first bonuses gave me too much starting cash. I wonder if Kerbal Construction Time is updated for 1.1 yet.

Yeah, I did Career once a few versions ago, and I'm not so inclined to go through the same progression again. So my solution for that was to start in Career mode and then edit my savegame so to give myself plenty of science points. That way I can build whatever I want, only paying attention to funds and contracts, which provide a nice bit of structure.

Pure sandbox is somewhat less interesting, and being limited by science is one restriction too many, from my point of view: the current implementation of the scientific aspect isn't particularly fun.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont mind when I can send micro-landers to minmus and finish out 95% of the tech tree, or get a couple thousand by sending a ship to tour the jool system.

It is grinding those first couple thousand points on and near Kerbin that is the painful chore, to make those intermediary missions possible.

Fortunately, career mode is fairly customizeable and you can start with a huge ammount of science out of the gate.  Or change the rate of return on science points...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I have a ship design question.

The way I design my very early ships is the basic 1-kerbal pod and a Science Jr right underneath it, usually with a heat shield on the bottom.

The problem is, the Science Jr isn't heavy enough to keep the ship pointed in the right direction. Center of mass is too high, so the heat shield ends up completely useless... and my ship ends up burning away in reentry.

How do I mess with the center of mass to make sure my ship goes in shield down?
Nothing important here, move along.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Doesn't SAS help?
Black lives matter.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Add another Science Jr.?

Because "moar thrusters SCIENCE" is a perfectly valid answer, right?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

How do I mess with the center of mass to make sure my ship goes in shield down?
I suggest putting the heat shield on top instead of on the bottom. You have to be careful during reentry though, since the Science Jr burns up very easily if you don't have the ship pointing exactly straight forward, more so if you have multiple Jrs.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Make sure you remove all the monoprop they ship with the capsule. You could also try balancing the science jr. on top of the capsule and the parachute on top of that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I didn't think monopropellant could weigh so much.

That should help a little, though I've found another, slightly more crude solution in double-stacking heat shields.

As for using SAS, I probably should put one on there when I've got my scientist going up, but I don't think I've researched it yet.
Nothing important here, move along.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, the capsule SAS. IIRC capsules have their own, if comparatively useless and shitty, inertia roller-things.
Black lives matter.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, the capsule SAS. IIRC capsules have their own, if comparatively useless and shitty, inertia roller-things.

They only work when operated by a qualified pilot unless you've got a probe core on there.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know. Is there a reason the pilot wouldn't be in the pod during reentry...?
Black lives matter.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know. Is there a reason the pilot wouldn't be in the pod during reentry...?

If he's a scientist or engineer, he's more of a payload than a pilot. He's just barely qualified to steer, let alone turn on and off the SAS.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I think it's more that there's no automated SAS in the pod. It's jeb doing the corrections manually unless you get the sas module installed.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried to carry out some test flights on a brand-new sandbox game, with a handful of mods presumably 1.1-ready, and got four crashes in half an hour.

I gotta give the modders more time. Can't live without stuff like Texture Replacer nor Environmental Enhancements. Other mods I'm using are Kerbal Engineer, Joint Reinforcement, Docking Port Alignment Indicator and Raster Prop Monitor. One of those might be causing the crashes instead, but I thought the first two were more likely culprits, for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 848