Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXV - Game over, webadict wins.  (Read 61544 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXV - Day 1: IN UR BASE...
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2011, 02:05:38 pm »

Though out of curiosity, kilakan, what's so wrong with someone else answering an IC/mod question? If they know the answer.
The problem is that they can potentially give you bad/not-as-good-as advice then an IC or mod could.  Mainly as opposed to a mod or IC they don't have to answer truthfully and could potentially sabotage your game by giving you purposely bad advice.
Nom nom nom

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2011, 02:09:25 pm »

Oh, and Meanmelter, why would you ask how I plan to protect myself specifically? Why do you care?
Why do you care how I plan to protect others? Maybe I plan on just protecting myself. Why are you refusing to answer my questions? Itching to use that knife?
You know that's not a very town thing to say that you plan on just protecting yourself, largely due to the fact that town still win even if they are dead if the whole team wins.
Though you do have a point, but just because you answered his question doesn't mean he has to answer yours.
Frankly though he did answer your question:
Meanmelter, how do you plan to protect the rest of us?
By not backstabbing you. How do YOU plan to protect the rest of us, including yourself?

By narrowing down my lynch choice to the absolute most scummy person I can find. Like just now.
Nom nom nom

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2011, 02:14:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I said Maybe. I never said I was going to. If I said something like 'I plan on just protecting myself' that would have been in the wrong.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2011, 02:25:09 pm »

Firstly, everyone should read my typical opening post for a bunch of good advice on how to play. I'm not an IC in this game, but I'll be damned if I don't stop you from screwing up.

Yes. It's a double edged sword -- if he's not the role I'm taking a wild guess at, I get at least a look at his playstyle. Maybe even spot a scumtell.

Asking hypothetical questions is fine for the RVS, like what he would do if he were the doctor, but asking straight up is a big no no.

Everyone except freeformschooler, what's your favorite class and why?

Don't ask completely irrelevant questions in the RVS.

They're completely irrelevant. You shouldn't be asking them.

If Darvi's here, what do I do if the guy I voted for doesn't show up to answer a few questions?

Be more demanding to get him here.

The game just started today, so you're nowhere near the point where you have to start demanding answers out of him.

What is with you answering questions directed to the mod and the IC's fucking stop or get out.

Calm down, it's fine.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2011, 02:30:54 pm »

Your advice is welcome, but you know you're not getting paid for it this time right?

:P

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2011, 02:37:35 pm »

What kilikan said, Meanmelter -- I did, in fact, answer your question, so I'm not sure why you're asking why I refused to. In fact, I consider lynching only the person I find most scummy to be a perfect strategy to protect both myself and others.

Thanks for all that, Jim. Big help. I'm not used to being demanding :P

Meanmelter: It appears I'm at a standoff with so why don't I just ask more questions. Like, for instance, why you have not voted yet? Still reading the rest of the topic?

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2011, 02:45:12 pm »

Also just because it doesn't point towards your class, someone saying spy or soldier colors them as possibly having those classes, which muddies the water for scum hunters.
No. It colors them as liking those classes.

Ok so you unvote after asking a SINGLE question to your initial RVS, and then (even though plenty of posting has occurred) you throw another random RVS out there with a question that would only result in a WIFOM answer?  Knowing someones strategy if they were scum is a pointless thing. 
Unless of course you have played with said person many many times and would already know how they act as scum.  I assume you haven't played with Flintus enough to know him that well?
I have never played with Flintus. As for the "pointless question", like I said before: you never know.

Seriously you don't know what 'winging it' means?  Or are you being a smart ass again.
Either way here's a definition for winging it from Berretta English.com
SO now answer the fucking question, are you winging it or have you actually bothered to read over any of the scum hunting guides?
Yes, I was "winging it", and yes I have read scumhunting guides before my first game.

So you want him to vote for you.  Sounds like a pretty scummy move to me, trying to goad people into voting you to show that you don't fear being lynched.  Of course I actually am voting you.
Nope, I wanted to know why freeformschooler pointed out that "others would vote you" and didn't do it him/herself.

anzki4, wouldn't it be more beneficial for you if you were a town (it would certainly cast less doubts) to still say, for example, "I'm not scum" rather than "I know that I am not a scum" because the latter seems like a marginally more scummy thing to say.
Because I know that I am not a scum, but no else does not.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2011, 02:48:21 pm »

Meanmelter: It appears I'm at a standoff with so why don't I just ask more questions. Like, for instance, why you have not voted yet? Still reading the rest of the topic?
Because I am not sure who is scum yet. When I do have an hunch I'll vote.
Now, if you were a doctor, who would you defend and why?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2011, 02:50:39 pm »

I would call you out on role-fishing, but I feel I can provide an answer to this. The answer is I've decided who I can't trust based on the current data, but I'm still not sure who I'm sure I CAN trust. I think that would require a different, private investigation, but then again, I might just end up sure about it anyway by the end of the day.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2011, 02:52:57 pm »

Though I will warn that is pretty blatant role-fishing. I'm going to just say you probably don't want to do that I again because even just the way you presented it sounded really scummy. I mean, even if I was or wasn't a doctor, who I would protect is exactly the kind of thing that can help a scum.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2011, 02:56:31 pm »

It's not actually role-fishing there, it's a what if type question that can be used to determine the personality of the person it is directed towards.  Asking slightly more generalized questions like 'what is your favorite type of character?' is closer to role fishing but usually you want to watch for ones that are "What is your strategy as a Doctor?"  Something that implies you are one and by answering it you confirm that it is true.
Nom nom nom

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2011, 02:57:05 pm »

Again, I said if you were. No matter what your answer was, it wouldn't have given me any hint of what role you were.
Making you seem pretty Scummy yourself. I wasn't going to even going to assume you'd be scum. But just be aware, I have my eye on you.
Story of my life.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2011, 03:00:56 pm »

Because I am not sure who is scum yet. When I do have an hunch I'll vote.

Were you not listening to me when I said that RVS is for fucking voting?

SO VOTE.  Don't piss me off like this.

I'll be back in a while with reads and questions or whatever, but right now it's time for Vector to eat rice and read vampire fanfic.  So I'll return when it's prudent.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2011, 03:03:52 pm »

Deadmeat1471 Care to explain who you'd accuse of being total scum at this point?
Story of my life.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2011, 03:04:22 pm »

I would call you out on role-fishing, but I feel I can provide an answer to this. The answer is I've decided who I can't trust based on the current data, but I'm still not sure who I'm sure I CAN trust. I think that would require a different, private investigation, but then again, I might just end up sure about it anyway by the end of the day.
Though I will warn that is pretty blatant role-fishing. I'm going to just say you probably don't want to do that I again because even just the way you presented it sounded really scummy. I mean, even if I was or wasn't a doctor, who I would protect is exactly the kind of thing that can help a scum.

No, that's not rolefishing.

It's a hypothetical question designed to give insight into how a player thinks.

Not. Rolefishing.

Were you not listening to me when I said that RVS is for fucking voting?

SO VOTE.  Don't piss me off like this.

Wuh oh, here she is.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30