Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 450756 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile

Where do turkeys and other similar birds get all the energy and nutrition to produce the large clutches of eggs they lay without actually needing to eat anything?

A: Reincarnation, of a sort. When animals die, their souls float about in some astral realm. Turkeys and other egg layers (abominations that they are) can tap into this realm, consuming the poor things, before plopping them out as eggs, ready for consumption/fertilization. Souls not consumed in this way eventually disperse into spores to be used in live births.

Q: How come all creatures can see 360 degrees without turning round?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic

Byakugan...

How elven caravan can carry elephants? Or was it already answered?..

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Byakugan...

How elven caravan can carry elephants? Or was it already answered?..

The elven caravan doesn't carry elephants. As we all know, cages are just portals to an infinite, empty, time-locked universe unique to each cage. The elves are just carrying a cage regardless of what's inside it. Granted, the mass of the cage = the mass of the universe + mass of cage material, so the cage is heavy, but they can just kinda roll it along on the ground.

Is the cutebold secretly a kobold survival mechanism? I find myself letting the little buggers go much more often, the more I see cutebold pics.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

The cutebold is as much a survival mechanism as it is propaganda. The kobolds are trying to increase their chances of getting away with shiny things.

How can a dwarf that hasn't had contact with others in a century, namely a vampire sequestered away half a mile form the rest of the fort, be considered well-known to the dwarves when a dwarf that hasn't been seen in only a week be considered missing?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile

How can a dwarf that hasn't had contact with others in a century, namely a vampire sequestered away half a mile form the rest of the fort, be considered well-known to the dwarves when a dwarf that hasn't been seen in only a week be considered missing?

The dwarven hivemind and the dwarven stupidity.

You know, because of hivemind, all dwarves have contact with each other. They can hate or love each other, but they all have metaphysical bond between them, non-understandable for human brains. They know that the vampire of your example is there, because they can feel it through their hivemind. They also remember that the vampire was a famous, so he's well-known for everyone, even if nobody hasn't actually seen him for a decades.

And what comes to being misisng, it is an illusion created by slow dwarven brain mechanisms. While those locked vampires still produce signals to the hivemind everyone can hear, missing dwarves don't (since they are dead). However, their existance echoes in the hivemind - dwarven brain works so slowly, that they understand things only about week after it has happened. So the signals of someone's hivemind coexistance will echo for the dwarves for about week until the dwarves get the updated information.

What is the light blue thing in brooks and streams, and why does brook/stream contain just as much water as does river?

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile

The light blue atop brooks and streams is a strange type of 'hard water' that dwarves admire for being able to hold up an entire wagonload of goods. They contain the same amount of water as a river because it takes a lot of water to support 'hard water'.

Why is it dwarves refuse to run inside if I allow the courtyard burrow, but when I forbid it they rush right in like they should do?
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile

Because Dwarves are socially rebellious.

Why do Elves give wood to People, even if they worship trees?
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because they're hypocrites.

Why does water have pressure and magma doesn't?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Armok couldn't give dwarves too much power or his own reign would be in jeopardy.

Why don't dwarves get infectious diseases?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Forgotten beasts serve that function.

Why won't this thread die?

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile

Because they think that your fortress is the beacon of a new hope for their family's future...
The poor fools.

If one human grew a great beard, would he be able to assimilate to the Dwarven people, eventually taking them over?
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

LoneChipmunk

• Bay Watcher
  • Chip Chip
    • View Profile

No. The Dwarves would know that his Beard if the False Beard and would reject his claim to power. This, of course, only applies if he manages to survive drinking enough alcohol to prove himself a Dwarf and doesn't die due to alcohol poisoning.

Why do Dwarves never succumb to alcohol poisoning?
ZombieChicken on #dwarffortress on irc.freenode.net

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Triple-sized livers. (Seriously, it's in the raws!)

Why do humans never succumb to alcohol poisoning?

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because my Urists always buy the whole stock of wine before they can even taste it, let alone get drunk.

Why children dwaves refuse to work, when we know they perfectly can ? (a snatcher just "freed" a legendary bone carver child, and I'm not even mad)
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because Dwarf Children are all playing a game called "Nobility"

This may not be the place, but I got the DF bug again after a few months of not playing, and came to the forums.

Decided I wanted to read an AAR, and picked Spearbreakers. Fine, it's a sequel to Syrupleaf which is a sequel to Headshoots. Gotta read those first.

Just got done with Headshoots.

....the FUCK was that?

That was.....weirder than Boatmurdered.

I need more.

That was awesome.

:D

wasn't sure where to post this, but the wtf thread seemed like a decent place as any.

What's the most insane way you've ever lost a fortress?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:21:02 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 301