Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926730 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #270 on: August 23, 2011, 04:59:21 am »

The great thing about this thread is that DF 1.0 will answer nearly everyone's prayers.

By Toady's version numbering scheme, the version 1.0.0 is nothing really special...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 23, 2011, 06:27:41 am »

The great thing about this thread is that DF 1.0 will answer nearly everyone's prayers.

By Toady's version numbering scheme, the version 1.0.0 is nothing really special...
But 1.0.0 is the release version, which means Toady will believe it is "finished", insofar as this kind of game can actually be finished
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 23, 2011, 06:33:09 am »

But 1.0.0 is the release version, which means Toady will believe it is "finished", insofar as this kind of game can actually be finished

Where did you hear this? While it is true that 1.0.0 is the release version for MOST games and programs, as far as I know Toady's versioning scheme doesn't place any additional value on it. He uses a system x.y.z where

x: How many hundreds of core features have been completed (currently 0)
y: How many core features have been completed (currently 31)
z: Minor release (currently 25)

Meaning that 1.0.0 is only special if you, for some reason, consider the 100th core component to be somehow more epic than the others.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 23, 2011, 07:07:37 am »

What makes version 1.0 special is that it's the completion of everything on the devlog, as well as the game being "complete." That second reason is purely symbolic, but it's still exciting. I think the sort of tangential features Toady would add post version 1.0 would be the most interesting.

A game I wish existed is the Spore from 2005. I've been replaying the actual game, and although pretty fun, there's just no depth or options in the first 4 stages, with only space and the Galactic Adventures expansion having any real staying power. Sigh, I guess DF version 1.0 will make me just as happy...
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 23, 2011, 07:16:51 am »

Meaning that 1.0.0 is only special if you, for some reason, consider the 100th core component to be somehow more epic than the others.
And, without being disparaging, I'd probably hold back and wait for 1.0.1, which will be out less than a day later after some early-adopter comments about how the liquid helium no longer climbs out of buckets, or somesuch, after the convective heat transfer update included with the 100th core component interfered with the originally hard-coded atomic-level interactions at low energies, blah-de-blah...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 23, 2011, 07:21:34 am »

I think Dwarf Fortress will be more complex than all of today's hit FPS games put together when it is finished.

With every RTS and RPG on top of that.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 23, 2011, 07:35:06 am »

What makes version 1.0 special is that it's the completion of everything on the devlog, as well as the game being "complete." That second reason is purely symbolic, but it's still exciting. I think the sort of tangential features Toady would add post version 1.0 would be the most interesting.

Toady uses a scheme where the 1.0.x will mean nothing special in itself apart from 100 of the core features being complete. I haven't counted the items in development log but I'm fairly sure it's something else than 100... unless Toady was "aiming" for 100 for whatever reason.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 23, 2011, 08:34:49 am »

Toady uses a scheme where the 1.0.x will mean nothing special in itself apart from 100 of the core features being complete. I haven't counted the items in development log but I'm fairly sure it's something else than 100... unless Toady was "aiming" for 100 for whatever reason.

There's 100 CORE items now.  A year ago there weren't that many and he and ThreeToe sat down and worked out what the 100 items should be.

There's other stuff above and beyond that (REQs and BLOAT)

"DY"
Draco18's Yiff?

Good guess, but no.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 23, 2011, 08:36:55 am »

Well you had the names of 2 Furaffinity artists in it :P
*Hugs*

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 23, 2011, 08:37:49 am »

Yes, yes I did. :)
I'm not ashamed of the smut I like.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:21 am »

Yes, yes I did. :)
I'm not ashamed of the smut I like.
An excellent attitude to take.
*Hugs*

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 23, 2011, 09:04:26 am »

A bird sim using Kinect or wii controlers.  Flap your arms to fly;  tilt your body/wings to bank, dive, etc.  Get to play different birds...hawk, pidgeon, wood pecker, hummingbird. etc.

A turnbased space war game based on Space Rangers system..but with a Z axis.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 23, 2011, 09:38:11 am »

There's 100 CORE items now.  A year ago there weren't that many and he and ThreeToe sat down and worked out what the 100 items should be.

There's other stuff above and beyond that (REQs and BLOAT)

Well, that might explain it... I personally dislike stuff being "promoted" just to get neat numbers though, but that's Toady's choice.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 23, 2011, 10:13:36 am »

A very involved simulation of being a vampire or werewolf. A fully living city, you have to find a place to rest and avoid hunters. The prey you take are taster if you hunt after rich people, but are more guarded. A lot of choices. You can be a nice vampire who tries to help people as much as they can or be the worst vampire that wipes out the entire city, with loads of things inbetween. You can be a werewolf who wishes to control their condition and views it as a disease or be the wild uncontrollable monster. There should be a lot of tension between vampires and werewolves, with your own opinions mattering. You can either take the subway, parkour across the city or just drive, each with it's own benefits.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #284 on: August 23, 2011, 10:15:16 am »

Anyone think up concepts you REALLY wanted to play, but unfortunately don't exist?
Just to day, I thought of a game like this:
In most games, when you fail a mission, you get a "GAME OVER" screen and must start again. However, in a game like this, if you lost the plot would adapt accordingly. For example, this mission would be "The attack was successful but they're launching a counterattack, survive until reinforcements arrive and keep at least five troops alive". If you failed to defend the troops, the base would be destroyed and you'd have to flee and assemble a makeshift squad and base as a last resort.

The wing commander games had similar paths. If you lost enough missions, or lost the wrong missions, you would eventually be pushed into an almost (or actually in the case of WC3) impossible defensive battle.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 577