Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926918 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #495 on: November 01, 2011, 08:22:24 am »

There's plenty of documentation for it, I'd say give it a go before you decide it's too hard. And character animation isn't too hard if you follow the base animation frames they already have.

As for gameplay, the basic formula is wander around and click on things until a thing happens, anything on top of that is a bonus.
*Hugs*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 01, 2011, 08:27:24 am »

There's plenty of documentation for it, I'd say give it a go before you decide it's too hard. And character animation isn't too hard if you follow the base animation frames they already have.

As for gameplay, the basic formula is wander around and click on things until a thing happens, anything on top of that is a bonus.

I guess I'll go for something more basic for my first time out... AND I'll make the story in such a way that community help is possible.

I don't really want to make a Dwarf Fortress based point and click but beggers can't be chosers. Just need a design set out.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:35:05 am by Neonivek »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 01, 2011, 08:34:27 am »

If you're gonna go for community help, I suggest something totally nonsensical and stupid. Because 99% of the suggestions you get are going to just that.

And be sure to check the tutorial that comes with AGS, it covers most of the stuff you need to know.

Also, I just realized I must sound like I get money for every download of it or something :P
*Hugs*

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 01, 2011, 08:38:11 am »

Hmm.
*Googlepedia*
So how much freedom does it give you when it says point and click? We talking 'Return to Zork' or full on 'machinarium'? Could one replicate the puzzles from myst? Does it allow for simple turn based combat?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 01, 2011, 08:40:02 am »

Hmm.
*Googlepedia*
So how much freedom does it give you when it says point and click? We talking 'Return to Zork' or full on 'machinarium'? Could one replicate the puzzles from myst? Does it allow for simple turn based combat?

Point and click with strategic combat?

Wait a minute... Quest For Glory? I love that series!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 01, 2011, 08:43:49 am »

The QFG2 VGA remake was made in AGS as far as I know.
*Hugs*

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 01, 2011, 09:19:53 am »

Hmm.
*Googlepedia*

The Myst puzzles have been replicated in Minecraft so doing it in JS would be trivial.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 01, 2011, 09:20:23 am »

Magic Carpet 3. Without too much tweaks or additions to the gameplay, just updated graphics. Real-time terrain deformation MUST remain.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 01, 2011, 09:36:45 am »

I feel both old and disconnected.  If MC3 is the double-sequel to the original Magic Carpet I remember playing, I can perceive both the passage of time and the fact that I've somehow missed two further generations of that game...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 01, 2011, 11:40:31 am »

Magic Carpet II came out in 1995. Was good...had a number of underground/cave levels where you had to use terrain deformation to open up new sections of the level.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 01, 2011, 12:25:02 pm »

Magic Carpet II came out in 1995. Was good...had a number of underground/cave levels where you had to use terrain deformation to open up new sections of the level.
I remember '95[1].  Must have been lost in the rest of the stuff of that year.  (When did Battlezone[2] come out?  Carmageddon[2]?  Hmm, a couple of years later.  Not sure what was trying to attracted my attention at that point, in lieu MC2, but it had obviously succeeded.)

[1]
Spoiler: Nostalgia (click to show/hide)

[2] Incidentally, two prototypical games which (in their own ways) I wouldn't seeing been updated or otherwise improved for modern machines.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 01, 2011, 12:54:08 pm »

[1]
Spoiler: Nostalgia (click to show/hide)

What's that sonny?  A P133?  Ha.  I've got a 486 in the basement.  Used one of its RAM sticks as a keychain fob for several years before the chips fell off.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 01, 2011, 01:01:11 pm »

We had a 486 for a while, I was a wee one then though, so I'm not as old as you two old farts.

(Kids these days, no respect for their elders, amiright?)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 01, 2011, 01:31:14 pm »

We had a 486 for a while, I was a wee one then though, so I'm not as old as you two old farts.

(Kids these days, no respect for their elders, amiright?)
(Elders these days, no respect for their kids, amiright?) I wish a combination of men of war and dwarf fortress existed
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 01, 2011, 02:01:08 pm »

Not my first computer[1], nor (intentionally) meant as a oneupmanship shot.  Merely a mental milestone that somehow escaped onto the keyboard.

Back on subject, perhaps something from that age that I'd bring back is something like the Maze program (BBC Model B, randomly generated maze, run through by player in 3D[3], you having to navigate through against the machinations of patrol bots[4], a find some keys to the elevator to the next level on).  Because, now I think of it, I can suddenly feel once more the far reaches of my old addiction drawing on me. :)

[3] Very basic 3D, in that your views were purely orthogonal (except for a "rotating left/right" transition effect) and so all it had to do was represent a limited number of "vanishing point" vectors and vertical/horizontal lines between them.

[4] Pasted into the above scene, probably.  A scalable filled-vector representation with a small amount of windowing when emerging from/disappearing behind various walls.  Actually, I'm going to write this for myself, when I have a bit of spare time.  I can even remember what I had worked out about the maze-generation algorithm.

{5} But I happen to know there are people with better credentials than me, on this forum, so this is not my intention.  Just me rambling, as per usual.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 577