Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926813 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #510 on: November 01, 2011, 02:27:15 pm »

Not my first computer[1], nor (intentionally) meant as a oneupmanship shot.  Merely a mental milestone that somehow escaped onto the keyboard.

That 486 was the first computer I used and when it was finally rendered unusable it had Windows 98 on it.

I have no idea why we still have it.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 01, 2011, 05:45:52 pm »

That 486 was the first computer I used and when it was finally rendered unusable it had Windows 98 on it.

...Win98??  On a 486?? Why??  D:

Continuing the derail, I've still got a 486 at home running MS-DOS.  Still runs a lot of the old Sid Meier games just fine.

KG

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 01, 2011, 07:23:55 pm »

I want Dwarf Fortress mixed with Cortex Command. IN 3D!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 01, 2011, 07:25:25 pm »

I'd just like Cortex Command in 3D. Underground bases would certainly be a hell of a lot more interesting.
Nothing important here, move along.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 01, 2011, 10:04:08 pm »

I just want Cortex Command 1.0 really.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 01, 2011, 10:12:29 pm »

...Win98??  On a 486?? Why??  D:

Because my dad kept upgrading the machine instead of getting a new one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 03, 2011, 12:08:26 am »

I wonder where I should ask people what a Dwarf Fortress Point and click would be like...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 03, 2011, 06:19:31 am »

[1]
Spoiler: Nostalgia (click to show/hide)

What's that sonny?  A P133?  Ha.  I've got a 486 in the basement.  Used one of its RAM sticks as a keychain fob for several years before the chips fell off.
My Commodore 128 laughs at your 486. At least, it will in 5 minutes or so when it loads the digitized sound file necessary to laugh. Yeah, I'm one of the five people on the planet who actually went for the 128 instead of just the C64. Even though 90% of everything I ever ran was on the 64 processor. Since almost nobody wrote games that took advantage of the 128 chip, except for my own homebrew stuff. And even after reading the manual, I couldn't make head or tails of CP/M.

First game I ever owned on it was Raid Over Moscow. Not a game that particularly needs to be remade. I would love to see them redo Airborne Ranger, but sadly they'd just make it another FPS.

Mail Order Monsters. Now there's a game that REALLY needs a sequel (that's not Pokemon).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 06, 2011, 02:37:47 am »

Sorry to derail your derail, but...

A Harvest Moon-style game as directed by Hideo Kojima.  That's honestly the thing I think I'd most enjoy playing.

If there's not at least one opportunity to sneak into someone else's hen coop at night and steal the ever-loving bejeezus out of their (potentially robotic) livestock, it's just not good enough :I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 06, 2011, 02:39:39 am »

Sorry to derail your derail, but...

A Harvest Moon-style game as directed by Hideo Kojima.  That's honestly the thing I think I'd most enjoy playing.

If there's not at least one opportunity to sneak into someone else's hen coop at night and steal the ever-loving bejeezus out of their (potentially robotic) livestock, it's just not good enough :I

Having seen Hideo Kojima's other games... I don't QUITE think that is how he would make a Harvest Moon style game.

It think what you want is a Metal Gear Solid type Harvest Moon game.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 06, 2011, 02:45:08 am »

Hmm... I think what I mean is that I really want a game with a sweet, stupid, stereotypical surface that ends up slowly revealing its other, far darker side as you go on.  But done in such a way where it seems absurd and almost dadaistic.  Not like the usual Zelda games or anything, where somehow it all makes sense with itself.  Something a bit grotesque and bizarre.  I often felt that the Metal Gear games had this sort of feel.  The sneaking mission was meant as a joke, a way to plunge between the levels.

Hell, I'll program it in a few years, if that's what it takes.  I think it could be a lot of fun.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 06, 2011, 03:45:40 am »

Back in middle school, I shared a little RPG I programmed for the graphing calculator with my friends. I called it "Arena Battle"; the game had a grinding-style combat system with 4 classes, used ASCII art for images, and had simple numbered lists for menus and dialogue options. When you had played the game for too long, a battle was triggered with the program itself; if you killed it, the game deleted itself from the calculator. If you lost, the save file was intentionally corrupted, and rendered unplayable.

After that, I got to thinking about postmodernism in game design. Metal Gear Solid provides a good example; there are a few parts of the game that are written to call attention to the fact that it is, indeed, a game... and it plays around with the player's expectations a bit. I wish there was a game that was built entirely around that sort of postmodern, self-aware design theory.

For a while after I made the calculator game, I thought about designing a similar game in QBasic or C++ that further explored that theme. It might have pitched itself as an RPG like that, built around simple turn-based Arena Combat. All the in-game menus, dialogue, and any readmes or manuals would never imply that there was anything more than the Arena. Due to what is made to appear as a glitch at some point, the character is able to walk through the solid exterior wall of the map, and suddenly emerges into something much bigger... maybe a field of garbled graphics, or something that looks like a half-completed aspect of the game that was cut at production, and progressing on to something stranger. From that point forward, it might reveal itself to be some sort of puzzle game built as a composite of several unrelated games connected by this glitch-space. The real game would revolve around exploiting intentionally-programed glitches, and the mechanics of the games themselves. It could involve manipulation of the game's files as well, requiring the user to change file names and extensions, make copies, and so on. Even in-game save menus and such could be wrapped into the designs of puzzles.

In the end, I'd want it to be something that blurs the line between the game and the medium on which it was played. I still don't know how best to go about designing something like this, but for a long time it's been something I could see through a glass, darkly.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 06, 2011, 05:41:38 am »

Hmm... I think what I mean is that I really want a game with a sweet, stupid, stereotypical surface that ends up slowly revealing its other, far darker side as you go on.  But done in such a way where it seems absurd and almost dadaistic. 
http://zarat.us/tra/offline-games/eversion.html
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 06, 2011, 01:35:27 pm »

Hmm... I think what I mean is that I really want a game with a sweet, stupid, stereotypical surface that ends up slowly revealing its other, far darker side as you go on.  But done in such a way where it seems absurd and almost dadaistic. 
http://zarat.us/tra/offline-games/eversion.html

Even more dadaistic and strange than that.  Already finished Eversion with both endings :D

Oddly enough, the more I think about it, the more I really want to embark on this project.  Just need to finish learning Russian first and knitting that big scarf, before I can start thinking about some sort of planning phase.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 06, 2011, 01:48:40 pm »

I'd just like Cortex Command in 3D. Underground bases would certainly be a hell of a lot more interesting.
Funnily enough, I remember reading a post on Data's site about a 3D atom/voxel engine in production(by someone else), and it said that if it ever was completed, a 3D Cortex Command wasn't an impossibility.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 577