Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929475 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #570 on: December 04, 2011, 02:35:43 pm »

Dwarf Fortress in space! With spaceships you build yourself, TILE BY TILE, and they move around in realtime, and you have a sector and build a huge floating space station and interact with other entities. Or maybe you build a huge swarm of organic ships around a big mothership and go on a slow cruise through the galaxy, feeding off asteroids and civilization fragments.

Oh, how I used to dream of this. I even downloaded PDCurses ASCII and set myself up to program it...

It probably never will happen. :(

I haven't looked into it, but maybe Blockade Runner? It's not ASCII though, I think it's voxels.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 06, 2011, 01:55:23 am »

Dwarf Fortress in space!
I've got a little something up my sleeve that will doubtless not get anywhere near the Real World, which I've been trying to consciously make[1] not DF-IN-SPAAAAACCEEE!  But in its current form it's resource management, within an asteroid already on its way through interstellar-space[2], whose body is mined to provide materials (and internal space)[3] to be able to develop the travellers' capabilities for when they can involve themselves in the process of exploring each star (or defending against locals who may not be quite as peaceful in their version of Rendezvous With Rama).  Or, indeed, deal with such interstellar issues/opportunities as might occur to break the tranquillity of the journey.

Oh, and it's not strictly tile/voxel-based, but more a 3D mesh-like thing.  (Given that I've already got a visualisation/simulation engine already in development[4].)

But I won't say "Watch this space!".  Partly because that's its working title, and it would be confusing. :)

[1] In its conceptual form, that is.

[2] Time dilation and/or a hibernation mechanism (e.g. when further away from a star than convenient, at least for the "manager mind", i.e. you, the player) will make effective game time, and of course playing-time, pass by far quicker.  Later on... FTL?

[3] But it still sounds far too DF-like.  Actually, writing as I just have, it sounds extremely DF-like.  I need to revisit some of these concepts.  It's a long-standing idea, from before I was aware of DF, but I am reluctant to be seen to reinvent somebody else's wheel that I've spent a lot of time rolling around for fun.  I'd have been happier to come up with a virtual DF-clone if I could have honestly said I never knew the game.  Same goes for loads of other things (Elite/Oolite, the whole XCOM and derived works genre, etc, even Descent) that I've been exposed to.

[4] As an off-shoot from an old project to do "Cartoonland" physics, it has loads of weird effects that could be put to good use, including TARDIS-like effects volumetric effects (when allowed by suitable technologies), fractional rotational symmetries in rooms and scale-adjusting corridors.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 06, 2011, 02:21:07 am »

A decent MLP RPG. there's probably a crummy one or two made in RPGmaker, but I want quality! Cthulhu Saves the World quality!
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 07, 2011, 03:40:34 pm »

Hmm i kind of want to do Anatomical Griefing: The Game in blender, would be quite easy, seeing that physics and 3d would be done for me already.

But a game i wanted to make was based around a novel universe i constructed, Udo, its basically set on a far out planet that "hunts" intelligent life with wormholes, time goes alot faster on the planet too, the game is set in a scenario where the player has to handle his failing spacecraft and do an emergency landing on an Udo spawn(little planets Udo creates by manipulating gravity) called Leng, known as the last site for Lengs plateu to exist, a weird rocky planet wich has theese puddles of highly active organic compounds everywhere, every morning the game would generate new creatures to haunt you, wich come writhing, flying or simply just crawling out of the pools of horror. It would basically be an First Person evolutionary sandbox. I would make it as dynamic as possible ever.

Have the design doc; im not gonna use it anyway:

Short and Quick description:
You are a private space pilot, your ship is malfunctioning and is caught in a suborbital trajectory,
repair neccesary systems and try to manage to do a proper entry. The planet's terrain is rough and neigh impossible to land on, so no matter what
you will either crash, or crash land. Good news is that it looks awesome and is physics simulated. Try not to get yourself killed.

The creatures:
The planet is spotted with shoggoth pools wich generates creatures when exposed to starlight, theese creatures are procedurally generated, the generator determines:

Organ positions - for each limb generated, place 1 - 4 organs in its organ list/W/E
Movement Behavior - Paramters for joint movement, timing etc. from 0-360
Instincts - Flee when attacked, Strike Back or ignore, only applicable if a mind is placed somewhere
Growth and mobility - Growth

Each creature starts out with a single limb, but its growth parameters makes it grow into something.
The shoggoth pools are very nourishing, but mutates anything not native to them on contact.
Creatures that float in it would either emerge from the pool themselves, get pushed out by others, or just be digested by the pools and despawned.

Types of limbs and their similarities to earthly creatures:

Hull: Torso, Trunk etc. Its just a rigid object
Tendon: Tendon. Bonds the limbs together, can also be used by itself to "weld" objects together
Appendage: Claws, Eyes, Ears, Antennae, Mouth, Leaves and stuff like that.

Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

zekiel321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 14, 2011, 12:20:12 pm »

A Mass Effect MMORPG. Sorta like WoW. It has promise. Imagine you have humans, turians, krogans, etc. A lot of races with a lot of race specific skills and stats. All it needs is a deeper story and this is something a game developer should consider. I would pay monthly fee's if such a game existed.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish were released
« Reply #575 on: December 14, 2011, 02:59:46 pm »

Crusader Kings 2.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 15, 2011, 09:37:52 pm »

I had to drop by and leave this idea, it's been swimming in my head for a while and I had the urge to share it:

I wish there were a game that simulated the Norse settlement of North America (Vinland, Markland, Helluland, Greenland). It would be set in the late 900's-early 1000's, you would assume the role of a Viking lord/merchant/ship captain/raider and make your way from Iceland to the new world with supplies and a small troop of settlers. You'd land in either the harsh, barren lands of Greenland or Helluland (Baffin Island), the great forests of Markland (Labrador Canada), or the relatively warm pasture lands of Vinland.

Your main character would act as the lord of your outpost/village/estate and would order construction, manage trade, diplomacy with the natives (called skraeling by the norse), etc. Your people would assume professions typical of dark age norsemen and you'd hack out an existence in the unforgiving lands of the new world, forging for whatever resources you can find, fending off inuits, and trading away precious goods (from lumber to narwhal tusks). The game would keep track of all the citizens' ancestry and their looks (something like DF, with genetics) and could last for decades until the settlement is abandoned or destroyed. I think it would be interesting to have genetics play a role, say your settlement is overtaken by natives who intermix with your population only to be discovered years later by future explorers or reclaim parties. Religion would also play a role, from feuds between family members to all out civil war over Paganism vs. Christianity.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want a totally realistic/historically accurate Viking DF :P
I would code it myself or even mod DF, save for my lack of skills. Maybe some day....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:45:55 pm by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish were released
« Reply #577 on: December 15, 2011, 10:26:10 pm »

Crusader Kings 2.
But that does exist. It's just not released until February.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 15, 2011, 11:06:43 pm »

A game where you managed a revolution first-person. Kind of like Liberal Crime Squad mixed with GTA. Preferably the Russian Revolution of 1917 but any would be awesome.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #579 on: December 15, 2011, 11:18:53 pm »

Space station 13 + no lag + not BYOND and a stand-alone game instead.

Don't really care if the graphics are any better, but 3D graphics would be a plus.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 15, 2011, 11:31:36 pm »

An idea for combining RTS and FPS together:
IDEA 1: An FPS/RTS where a team of many players (around 16-32 maybe?) battle each other to destroy the enemy base. The catch is that one player is the "commander" or "overlord" of the battle. He will see the battle like a traditional RTS, while the rest of his team will see it like a traditional FPS game. The commander would be able to see everything that the guys on the ground could, so he would basically get to see all the players on his team. He would have information like health, ammunition and location on every player in his team. Likewise, if a player on his team spotted an enemy, he would see it. This means the commander will know where the majority of enemies are, and be able to plan accordingly. He will be able to select players like a traditional RTS and right click on the map to set a waypoint for them. It would then be the players job on the ground to follow the orders like a good soldier and do whatever it is the commander wants him to do. For example, if the commander selected soldier 1 and right clicked on the ground, soldier 1 will get a waypoint labelled "move." If the commander selected soldier 2 and 3 and right clicked on an enemy, both those soldiers would get a waypoint labelled "attack" (the waypoint will continue to update itself on the enemy location for as long as a player has sight on the enemy).

You may be thinking, "what will give the soldiers on the ground the will to do what the commander sets him?" Good question. If a soldier successfully completes a task set by the commander, he will gain rank points. Because this is a team game at heart, all players involved in the action that successfully complete the task will gain the same amount of points, but they will not be split. For example, say completing an order to kill an enemy gives 50 points. If one player is ordered to do it and does it, he will gain 50 rank points. If 5 are ordered to do it and 3 actually go and help in completing the task, then those 3 will get 50 points, while the other 2 will get none. This encourages teamwork, while preventing point farming (obviously some orders like moving will not give any as that can be exploited) Other orders, like repairing something on the field, will give points based on the health repaired, and not on the order itself, to prevent point farming. Players will be able to spend points on weapons, vehicles and other things to give them the advantage.

To prevent balance issues, everything will have a disadvantage to it. So for example, a jet fighter will have high mobility and good weapons, but the jet will be hard to fly and be prey to anti air. Again, things like this will encourage commanders to get the players to scout properly so they know what is going to hit them (perhaps players can gain points for gaining intel from the enemy, like finding an air base). So to buy a jet will require an airfield, which can be destroyed by the enemy players or countered by making anti air.

The game will also have territories to capture, which will give the commander points. The commander uses points to build buildings, and purchase weapons so friendly units may purchase them (the reason players on the ground have to purchase them again is to prevent commanders from buying a weapon that is advantageous in the current situation and having all players use it at once. Weapons will be salvageable from dead players so they can be used again, but only come with so much ammo, so protecting weapons could be a viable tactic as it saves points). Commanders will also be able to invest in tech, giving the team more flexibility and power, as well as enabling typical RTS tactics like rushing.

Games will last around 30 minutes to an hour. Players will also be able to make teams and play against other teams, giving the game a competitive scene. Finally, the game will feature a voting system to see who gets commander, so organised teams can give the commander to the best person, or a new team can decide on who they want to be a commander.

Yes, it is a massive game idea, but how awesome would this be? What do you guys think?
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 16, 2011, 12:05:33 am »

snip
This sounds a lot like the game Savage 2. Not to the letter, mind you, but damn close.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 16, 2011, 12:27:25 am »

Yeah, that idea sounds like Savage (2) except in a modern setting.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 16, 2011, 12:45:41 am »

snip
This sounds a lot like the game Savage 2. Not to the letter, mind you, but damn close.
That is very damn close, although I don't know how many people play it, so I don't think I will download it until I get more knowledge of it. Thanks for the heads up though!
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 16, 2011, 01:27:55 am »

Space station 13 + no lag + not BYOND and a stand-alone game instead.

Don't really care if the graphics are any better, but 3D graphics would be a plus.

Congratulations, this is already in the works! http://spacestation13.com/
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 577