Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926796 times)

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1125 on: June 27, 2012, 12:17:24 pm »

A MUD, using the code that HellMOO used, that is set during a zombie apocalypse. Set on a large continent, the player would have to survive in a world filled with zombies, wild animals, and other players.  A Day Z MUD, pretty much. You would also be able to create buildings, as well as other objects. This way it would be possible to group up and create your own settlement, if you so desired.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

X-03

• Bay Watcher
  • Resistances must be silenced, the world purged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 28, 2012, 01:59:47 am »

Well I've been lurking on /v/ lately...
and saw this :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A part of myself kinda' died knowing that a game like that doesn't exist. Except SS13 ey.

Sorry if this has already been posted, I'm just in a rush to present this!

I FOUND IT! Although it's still in progress, and hasn't been updated since 2009, we can hopefully work on it!
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Pressure_PC/index.php?
Are you LOST?

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 28, 2012, 12:14:49 pm »

I just thought of this, but what about a Source mod set on Space Station 13?
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

moogmg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 28, 2012, 12:21:25 pm »

Crusader kings 2 :Chronicles of Amber mod

Or a Chronicles of Amber grand strategy game.
Does anyone want to trade something for Terraria on steam? Will consider most non-indie bundle (except Bastion) game offers.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 28, 2012, 05:41:48 pm »

I just had a vision of the Gordon Frohman HL2 comic crossed with SS13 and about died laughing.

KG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 28, 2012, 06:06:39 pm »

I would love to see more stuff based on Chronicles of Amber, though it does go directly against Zelazny's wishes.  He didn't want anyone else tampering with that setting, even after he died.

And I don't think anything very open-ended would work very well.  Shadow travel would have to be a major component, and I just can't imagine how that would work without being pre-determined.  Procedurally generated content has come a long way, but not quite that far...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

moogmg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 28, 2012, 06:23:18 pm »

I would love to see more stuff based on Chronicles of Amber, though it does go directly against Zelazny's wishes.  He didn't want anyone else tampering with that setting, even after he died.

And I don't think anything very open-ended would work very well.  Shadow travel would have to be a major component, and I just can't imagine how that would work without being pre-determined.  Procedurally generated content has come a long way, but not quite that far...

I know, but could you picture if we had the tech and skill to make it work. A grand strategy game where the field of conquest takes place in  several different universes as you try to destroy one of your sibling s
Does anyone want to trade something for Terraria on steam? Will consider most non-indie bundle (except Bastion) game offers.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 28, 2012, 06:25:15 pm »

I know, but could you picture if we had the tech and skill to make it work. A grand strategy game where the field of conquest takes place in  several different universes as you try to destroy one of your sibling s

I think a siblings rivalry would work better as an action/adventure game.  A war between Amber and Chaos would make for a better strategy game.  Capture the Logrus/Pattern!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 28, 2012, 08:22:39 pm »

That'd be awesome.

Really complex though.  I don't think the source engine would like allowing players to tear down any wall.
(Due to the way visleafs work)

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 28, 2012, 08:26:53 pm »

Server seems to have messed up the post, It was a long one. :'(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:33:27 pm by Jiokuy »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1135 on: July 05, 2012, 02:19:02 pm »

Several players start out as leaders of a few small colonies on an isolated alien planet. The beginning of the game is largely economic; collecting resources, building and shaping the new civilization.
This is done through both the direct orders of the players and by appointing governers and other leaders to command areas. Importantly, each governor is a complex NPC with goals and personality. Players must build relations with these governors for the coming conflicts. The players will also make alliances between themselves.
Soon enough, some part of the colony will attempt to break away, or there will be rogue colonists attacking, or some other similar trigger. This will trigger the second stage of the game- the political war. Players will call in these aliances and fight one annother. Perhaps it is each man for himself, or perhaps most of the players will cooperate with each other... initially.

In some ways, it will be a city sim, a TBS/RTS, and a rarely-seen diplomatic strategy game.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 05, 2012, 02:33:26 pm »

I wish there was an apocalypse rebuilding game, somewhat like RTS mod for Fallout 3 and New Vegas. It would be randomly generated.

A DF game could easily be "rewritten" to follow apocalypse. Instead of worlds being created out of magic and being in the process of colonization/populization, each civ's capital is the vault or sheltered valley from which they survived the apocalypse. Doesn't necessarily need to be Fallout-style nuclear annihilation, but you'd probably want some kind of McGuffin to explain the extremely dangerous and hostile enemies (the ones that aren't just other competing civs, anyway).

Gameplay-wise you probably don't want to go explicitly with DF's 2D "literally carve out a small colony from the mountain", although extensive underground structures should still be possible.

There's a good argument that the standard D&D setting is post-apocalyptic. All those dungeons and ruins full of monsters and treasure? Those are remnants of great civilizations that fell precipitously. All those magical artifacts that nobody knows how to make anymore? All you gotta do is search for that forgotten knowledge in those ruins! Everything is mysterious because it's a dark age coming after a golden age.

The Earthdawn setting is explicitly post-apocalyptic and firmly pre-tech fantasy.

The DF world is a little different since everything is kind of set out in the generated history. Need more cataclysms I guess, and loss of knowledge if culture gets disrupted. 

Quote from: greatorder
anyways, I, too would like a post-apocalypse game that is an RTS, but it actually feels like you are saving humanity, not just playing something on a screen that can easily be turned off.

An RTS with player-servers allowing various worldgen parameters, hidden secrets, etc. and dozens or even hundreds of players would be excellent. The game continues as long as the server is up, and if it has to restart it's just a pause. If you log out and leave your little dudes they'll do their best based on your past leadership style but you may come back to find they've been raided by an NPC biker gang or recruited by another player!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 05, 2012, 02:46:02 pm »

The Earthdawn setting is explicitly post-apocalyptic and firmly pre-tech fantasy.

Actually, it takes place during the apocalypse.  I mean, come on, the horrors* are still active.

*Things man was not meant to see.  Eldrich abominations.  Creatures from beyond the veil.  Ancient Ones.  Elder gods.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 05, 2012, 02:48:57 pm »

OK does anyone know of a game like I described above? I'm hoping for the following elements:

You control a character who has stats, equipment, etc.

There are NPCs. You can buy, sell, talk etc. with them. You can convince some to join you and lead them, commanding them to do things. They will do stuff for you in your absence. NPCs have needs and will trade with each other and interact independently of you also.

There are natural resources. You and your men can harvest, craft, research.

You can design and build structures, but it takes man-hours and resources and tools and possibly research. Structures can be equipped with furniture that helps the structure (mounted guns for defenders to employ, a forge for melting, a furnace for glassmaking).

There are plenty of other mobs (NPCs, monsters) that will interact with you and your men and your structures and idle items lying around.

There are reasons to stay put and settle (build a trade route, harvest immense resource deposits, farming, build a city) and also to move around (limited renewable resources like water, grass for grazing, seasonal flooding or storms, migration of resource mobs, seasonal rampaging hordes of mobs).

There are NPC settlements that you can trade with and get information from, and otherwise interact with (for example, if you make maps that lead from an overcrowded area to a desirable destination, and distribute them, people will want to try to travel there and will spend money at your waystations you built along the trail. If you find a huge gold deposit and let people know about it they will want to go to that area and look for gold themselves or maybe even work for you).

NPCs band together by faction, factions merge and conflict and trade with each other, so there's a background of cool stuff going on all the time.

I'm imagining a western, but you could do a post-apoc, or planetary colonization sci-fi, lots of different things.

So do you know of anything like that? It could be single-player or multi-player, but it's intensely important - crucial even - that the NPCs are robust enough that the impact of the NPCs is more than the players (although players will probably be pulling the NPCs' strings and influencing them).
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 05, 2012, 02:50:58 pm »

Actually, it takes place during the apocalypse.  I mean, come on, the horrors* are still active.

*Things man was not meant to see.  Eldrich abominations.  Creatures from beyond the veil.  Ancient Ones.  Elder gods.

Maybe active, but certainly reduced in number and influence. During the apoc, even people in a vault-equivalent weren't 100% safe! When play begins you can actually go outside with your donkey and there are people living aboveground.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 577