Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929396 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1710 on: February 04, 2013, 03:02:14 pm »

Oh okay.
Well, in that case, I disagree with that opinion. It would make the controls too light and less like actual muscle movements.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: February 04, 2013, 03:28:02 pm »

Oh okay.
Well, in that case, I disagree with that opinion. It would make the controls too light and less like actual muscle movements.

The problem is that it makes the controls obtuse and difficult to use.  There aren't many solutions that end with "my hand on your chest" for instance, yet I have to solve that equation manually, and in 0.5 second steps.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: February 04, 2013, 03:32:18 pm »

Oh okay.

The problem is that it makes the controls obtuse and difficult to use.  There aren't many solutions that end with "my hand on your chest" for instance, yet I have to solve that equation manually, and in 0.5 second steps.
Nah, they're pretty easy. Each joint can be relaxed, held, extended or contracted. That's the entirety of the controls; that's the entirety of the controls. If you made it the way you suggest then it would also limit the ability to do a lot of the fancier things; because of the degree of control that it removes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 04, 2013, 03:36:41 pm »

Nah, they're pretty easy. Each joint can be relaxed, held, extended or contracted.

Quick: which joints do you need to extended or contract in order to grab your own foot?

Quick: which joints you do need to extend/contract in what order and when, in order to walk?

(Hardcore mode: stand up and perform FK motions to perform each of these tasks, bending one joint at a time)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:38:19 pm by Draco18s »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: February 04, 2013, 05:22:10 pm »

Toribash isn't limited to one joint at a time; and you have a long time to arrange the movements.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: February 04, 2013, 05:28:59 pm »

Toribash isn't limited to one joint at a time; and you have a long time to arrange the movements.

My point is that you have to modify each joint to find the result you want, rather than say "calculate this result."

(which is equivalent to trying to walk while performing each motion one joint at a time)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: February 04, 2013, 05:34:24 pm »

But not really because the joint changes happen all at the same time, in game terms. Time stops during the joint modification phase.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: February 04, 2013, 05:37:48 pm »

But not really because the joint changes happen all at the same time, in game terms. Time stops during the joint modification phase.

I meant from a "how the fuck do I do X?" perspective.  How many times do I have to say that?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: February 04, 2013, 05:44:34 pm »

I meant from a "how the fuck do I do X?" perspective.  How many times do I have to say that?
That time there.
So you don't understand the joint controls? Well; which direction happens when you contract a joint and which when you extend it can be a little hard to predict when you start, but there's not so many, so it's not hard to remember.
Besides that, the controls are rather simple to learn. I'm not seeing your problem.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: February 04, 2013, 05:49:39 pm »

That time there.

Also this time here:

There aren't many solutions that end with "my hand on your chest" for instance, yet I have to solve that equation manually, and in 0.5 second steps.

And here:

My point is that you have to modify each joint to find the result you want, rather than say "calculate this result."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: February 04, 2013, 06:05:46 pm »

Oh, so you just want to remove the challenge from the game. You could have just gone out and said that instead of talking about things that are only related.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1721 on: February 04, 2013, 07:54:09 pm »

If you removed the (relative) tedium of manipulating each joint one at a time, then what do you have? A beat em' up where your limbs fall off real easy. Where's the fun in that?

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: February 04, 2013, 07:55:15 pm »

Not necessarily the chalange, but a part of it.
Part of the chalenge is the muscle controlls. This could be considered fake difficulty.
The other part is the strategy, metagame, etc. How you fight instead of how well you can implement the fighting plan.

Ninjad

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: February 04, 2013, 08:12:15 pm »

I would say that learning how to master the movements of the character are genuine difficulty. If I didn't think it would take all of the silly fun out of the game; I'd say that Toribash is an art game about how we take for granted how easily we can control the movements of our own bodies without even considering the huge amount of processes that take place for it to happen.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: February 04, 2013, 11:02:17 pm »

I'd say that Toribash is an art game about how we take for granted how easily we can control the movements of our own bodies without even considering the huge amount of processes that take place for it to happen.

I'm cool with that.  But I knew that before Toribash came out.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 577