Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926806 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1845 on: February 18, 2013, 04:19:30 pm »

A fallout-style RPG set on a depopulated asteroid colony where you can be human, cyborg, or android, and it has a decompression mechanic for indoor areas if something punches a hole.

With or without Dwarf Fortress levels of contact area?

The pin has punctured Space Station 22's hull!
Everything in the room is ground into meat paste!

Decompression, even in space, is rarely that exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yG2h1aDB6k (Mythbusters, using an airplane)

I was thinking more like you blow out a window with a grenade, all the humans/cyborgs not wearing the right gear start asphyxiating, small objects get sucked outside, flamethrowers stop working, etc.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: February 18, 2013, 04:30:31 pm »

A flamethrower made for use in space would include it's own oxygen, windows should be stronger, and androids need to breath to(Processor cooling is important*).

*Liquid cooling doesn't help, as they still need to dump the heat someway, and vacuum makes a pretty good isolator.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: February 18, 2013, 04:32:14 pm »

A flamethrower made for use in space would include it's own oxygen, windows should be stronger, and androids need to breath to(Processor cooling is important*).

*Liquid cooling doesn't help, as they still need to dump the heat someway, and vacuum makes a pretty good isolator.
Couldn't an emergency system using the cold of space to dump heat work?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: February 18, 2013, 04:36:32 pm »

Liquid cooling can still work, they'd just need high surface area radiators so they could use radiant heat in vacuum conditions.

Space is not cold. Space is empty, but the handful of particles that do roam it are extremely hot compared to what we'd ever be used to on Earth. They're just way too small to transfer much heat.
Nothing important here, move along.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: February 18, 2013, 04:40:46 pm »

They only working cooling is radiation (Ie, giant radiators*) or evaporation(dumping liquids that then evaporate cooling the droid).

Oh, and actually space particles are generally very cold. Like 4 degrees Kelvin. Problem is there aren't any around.

*Ie, Wings in space

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: February 18, 2013, 04:43:37 pm »

Oh, yeah, they're fast, not hot.

Even so, for heating or cooling they're practically useless. Which is why you use high surface area, so there's plenty of area for radiant heat to radiate with radiation.
Nothing important here, move along.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: February 18, 2013, 04:45:40 pm »

If someone makes a Warhammer 40K themed Planetside 2, along with the business model and everything, I don't think I'd play anything else for... well, for quite a long time.

Makes me kinda sad Games' Workshop is actively opposed to making money out of their IP.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: February 18, 2013, 04:47:30 pm »

What if the ship itself had a radiation based cooling system that could be used to dump heat into.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: February 18, 2013, 05:27:16 pm »

It's a depopulated astroid/lunar colony, the only people/droids would be scavengers/fugitives, so they'd be the ones making ad-hoc flamethrowers. Flamethrowers wouldn't be designed to work in space anyway, since some more advanced energy weapon would be better. It's a freaking grenade, not being able to withstand a grenade (designed to blow things to dust) does not a poorly designed pane of glass make, even if it's a foot thick to protect from micrometeorites. We have space robots and computers in real life already, don't need a constant air cooling supply. They just radiate thermal energy into space.

Even if the androids just overheat without air coolant, they still would last for far longer than a human when the air gets sucked out. Humans get maybe 40 seconds in near-vaccum before they're incapacitated/dead from embolism, robot has to process for a while before the overheating becomes crippling (and not taking into account the obvious future setting, with more energy efficient computers. Or, hell, androids in the first place.)

I'm thinking how cool a survival RPG would be here, though, having to look out for places to replenish/purify your air supply, as well as recharging your gadgets, refueling whatever uses combustibles, getting food and water, and finding a safe place to sleep. And you'd have to think strategically about using explosives and whether or not to rush into a firefight, since you've got to be careful about the integrity of your space suit or whatever building you're in. Robots might not have to worry as much about about air and food, but they'd still have to find energy to power themselves and would still have to shelter from cosmic radiation.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: February 18, 2013, 06:33:55 pm »

If someone makes a Warhammer 40K themed Planetside 2, along with the business model and everything, I don't think I'd play anything else for... well, for quite a long time.

Makes me kinda sad Games' Workshop is actively opposed to making money out of their IP.
I've thought this more than once.  Although I do wonder if such a game might have issues when it comes to factions - maybe too many of them to ensure an even spread of population (and the inevitable dismay if they limit it and don't include your favourite(s)).

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: February 18, 2013, 08:10:39 pm »

An FTL-like with expanded objectives: a world map, expanded systems such as cargo bays and free-world roaming. You could play as a cargo hauler, selling wares from star to star, fighting off pirates and making money, as a pirate, attacking commercial ships and living off of others, or even a mercenary.

Cargo bays to carry supplies, giant prototype weapons, even mecha combat- yes, you can have space mecha battles if you have the bay for it- all rendered with pixels! So that anyone with a processor can play it.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1856 on: February 18, 2013, 10:21:16 pm »

And you'd have to think strategically about using explosives and whether or not to rush into a firefight, since you've got to be careful about the integrity of your space suit or whatever building you're in.
Yeah. I can imagine sweating pretty hard in a standoff wherein you and your opponent are both well-armed, but neither one of you wishes to damage the shelter you're disagreeing over. Whoever walks away is going to die, but if one of you shoots and misses, then its game over for all involved.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:57 pm »

all rendered with pixels!

But I want a game compatible with my new holographic projector  :(
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: February 18, 2013, 11:02:52 pm »

And you'd have to think strategically about using explosives and whether or not to rush into a firefight, since you've got to be careful about the integrity of your space suit or whatever building you're in.
Yeah. I can imagine sweating pretty hard in a standoff wherein you and your opponent are both well-armed, but neither one of you wishes to damage the shelter you're disagreeing over. Whoever walks away is going to die, but if one of you shoots and misses, then its game over for all involved.

Well, that's where small arms as opposed to explosives would come in. Or stealth, melee fighting, etc. But if someone has a high-powered rifle or a grenade, environmental destruction time XD
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:09:58 am by HugoLuman »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: February 18, 2013, 11:51:45 pm »

Liquid cooling can still work, they'd just need high surface area radiators so they could use radiant heat in vacuum conditions.

Space is not cold. Space is empty, but the handful of particles that do roam it are extremely hot compared to what we'd ever be used to on Earth. They're just way too small to transfer much heat.

The only heat you'd be venting into space is black-body radiation.  If the rate of radiated heat in the form of light (albeit at very low wavelengths) exceeds the rate at which the android is creating it (this will likely vary based on temperature as well: hotter the outer skin, the faster the heat will bleed off as light) and the point at which this occurs is colder than the critical heat level of the android's components, then it would function "just fine" in a vacuum.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 577