Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 373

Author Topic: DFHack 0.34.11 r3  (Read 1411834 times)

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
Re: DFHack 0.34.10 r1
« Reply #1725 on: June 05, 2012, 03:14:34 pm »

My take on it is that with each release of DF we see a comedy of errors as a double dozen people all post wrong offsets to the DT forum thread, leading to much confusion and confustulation as people all fall over themselves and each other trying to make sense of all the nonsense.  I'd rather very much like not to have the same idiocy with respect to DFHack, please.  And having people post "suggestions" on how to get a completely broken symbols.xml file is not consistent with that.

If you want to live dangerously, feel free to download the development versions from the appropriate github repositories and roll your own; it's not hard.  I just completed a test build that seems to be working fine, but that doesn't mean it's ready for general release.  The repos also have instructions on how to build the software and also advice on how to find the offsets yourself if you want.  But odds are by the time you figure out what you're doing, one of the regular developers will have the job done already.  And if you do want to help, at least take the time to educate yourself as to what's involved in the process before you try to "contribute".

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: June 05, 2012, 03:23:02 pm »

I think that until there is a relatively long time between updates, it will be difficult to get a working build out for whatever the most current version is. It might be best just to wait and be patient for the game updates to not be so frequent.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1727 on: June 05, 2012, 03:28:02 pm »

Well excuse me for contributing information, starting at the beginning.  Jerks.

Edit: If you really want to demonstrate how superior you are, post a working copy.  I've posted a working ini for one version of DT.  I didn't go around saying anyone else was doing worse than nothing for trying to work it out for themselves.
The people you just called jerks are the people who are working right now on producing a working product.  And what they had to say is accurate: your suggestion will not yield a working DFHack, it'll just make it not crash immediately.  You're free, of course, to make DFHack useless for people, but don't act like that by offering instructions to make it useless, you're providing some sort of useful service.

DFHack needs a lot more information discovered from each version of DF than DwarfTherapist does, so it takes longer.  And DFHack is less tolerant of incorrect offset information than DT is.  So you'll pardon us for taking a bit longer to do the job right.

In any case, an updated symbols.xml has been available for at least the past seven hours now.  All courtesy of the very people you are being so jackassed towards.

Excuse me, but where did I say that changing the checksum would make a working copy of DFHack?  And never did I complain that you were taking too long to update.

My take on it is that with each release of DF we see a comedy of errors as a double dozen people all post wrong offsets to the DT forum thread, leading to much confusion and confustulation as people all fall over themselves and each other trying to make sense of all the nonsense.  I'd rather very much like not to have the same idiocy with respect to DFHack, please.  And having people post "suggestions" on how to get a completely broken symbols.xml file is not consistent with that.

If you want to live dangerously, feel free to download the development versions from the appropriate github repositories and roll your own; it's not hard.  I just completed a test build that seems to be working fine, but that doesn't mean it's ready for general release.  The repos also have instructions on how to build the software and also advice on how to find the offsets yourself if you want.  But odds are by the time you figure out what you're doing, one of the regular developers will have the job done already.  And if you do want to help, at least take the time to educate yourself as to what's involved in the process before you try to "contribute".

Yes, I do post properly working ini files in the DT thread.  Isn't that a hilarious comedy of jackassed effort?  But by all means, I will leave this thread to the super-important hangers-on who live in it.  Personally, I prefer to wait and get my updates from peterix, but if necessary, I could re-install a C compiler and "roll my own", as you coyly put it.  I'm truly not that impatient, but of course you'll never believe that.  It's too much fun to rant at someone without having seen what they actually posted to start this argument.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: June 05, 2012, 03:42:20 pm »

I could re-install a C compiler and "roll my own", as you coyly put it. ed to start this argument.

You won´t get far with a C compiler. Your ignorance is showing and you better stop whining.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: June 05, 2012, 04:04:50 pm »

Wow, hostility.
I personally think that a C-compiler would be useful, but not for what I understand is the goal. You would be better off with cheat engine than a C-compiler, unless you wanted to write your own DF memory editing program.
Either way, that is one route to a solution, but not to your problem. A C-compiler could not help you update the memory list, making it virtually useless for the moment, but in the future, where instead of using DFHack, you learned how to write code in order to produce a sentient DFhack memory set assembler, which then proceeded to take over the world, making it detrimental.
Either way, it really doesn't matter right now.
I'd go for a disassembler, then I'd look through the data-section to find the correct addresses, but even then, I would not be helping, I would simply have done ten hours worth of work when someone else knows how to do it better than I do, and did it in four.
Where was I going again?
Oh yes, hostility.
Why are you being so hostile? Ignorance is hardly a good excuse to insult someone... well... not when he is going down a route that won't help or hurt anyone else.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1730 on: June 05, 2012, 04:11:55 pm »

A C-compiler could not help you update the memory list, making it virtually useless for the moment, but in the future, where instead of using DFHack, you learned how to write code in order to produce a sentient DFhack memory set assembler, which then proceeded to take over the world, making it detrimental.
I know how to write C code.  I know how to read and edit the memory space of a different program.  But that aside, you did make me laugh at the suggestion of weaponizing DFHack for world domination.  That a properly Dwarfy goal.  Thank you for that.   ;D

slaytanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my DFFD pack
« Reply #1731 on: June 05, 2012, 04:17:01 pm »

Hate to be a jackass but the updated symbols.xml isn't working for me. I'm getting

DFHACK ERROR!
error while reading symbols.xml
attribute is either missing or invalid : OS type
So let me get this straight....We are talking monkeys living on a dirt ball that circles a fireball ? WTF ?

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: June 05, 2012, 04:29:38 pm »

Just wait with upgrading to new version if there isn't a dfhack version yet if you really want it. There's no reason to tantrum. Thanks.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: June 05, 2012, 04:32:28 pm »

Wow, hostility.
I personally think that a C-compiler would be useful, but not for what I understand is the goal. You would be better off with cheat engine than a C-compiler, unless you wanted to write your own DF memory editing program.
Either way, that is one route to a solution, but not to your problem. A C-compiler could not help you update the memory list, making it virtually useless for the moment, but in the future, where instead of using DFHack, you learned how to write code in order to produce a sentient DFhack memory set assembler, which then proceeded to take over the world, making it detrimental.
Either way, it really doesn't matter right now.
I'd go for a disassembler, then I'd look through the data-section to find the correct addresses, but even then, I would not be helping, I would simply have done ten hours worth of work when someone else knows how to do it better than I do, and did it in four.
Where was I going again?
Oh yes, hostility.
Why are you being so hostile? Ignorance is hardly a good excuse to insult someone... well... not when he is going down a route that won't help or hurt anyone else.

They are being hostile due to slink calling Japa and Quietust jerks and then saying that if they are so superior they should release a working version.

Not really a start at all. All that does it lets DFhack know that this is, indeed, some version of DF.

It doesn't actually tell it where anything is that it needs, which will result in it poking around the wrong places and breaking things.
No, it's even worse - it tells DFHack that things are located at addresses where they aren't, which is what will cause it to break things.

Just adding "<symbol-table name='v0.34.11 SDL' os-type='windows'> <binary-timestamp value='0x4fcc9488'/> </symbol-table>" would have accomplished this "fix" much more cleanly - it'd make it stop complaining about unknown versions, and the absence of any defined addresses would have just caused all plugins to fail to do anything (or crash as a result of trying to access null pointers).
Well excuse me for contributing information, starting at the beginning.  Jerks.

Edit: If you really want to demonstrate how superior you are, post a working copy.  I've posted a working ini for one version of DT.  I didn't go around saying anyone else was doing worse than nothing for trying to work it out for themselves.

Perhaps slink doesn't know who Japa and Quietust are...
But it wasn't like they were being rude, they were just urgently calling attention to a fix that could cause more problems than it fixes.
So naturally the hornets aren't going to take kindly the insults directed at two of the people responsible for maintaining parts of the dfhack project.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

slaytanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my DFFD pack
« Reply #1734 on: June 05, 2012, 04:36:10 pm »

Hate to be a jackass but the updated symbols.xml isn't working for me. I'm getting

DFHACK ERROR!
error while reading symbols.xml
attribute is either missing or invalid : OS type
it also says to check the stderr   which says:
FirstCall()
Initized HOOKS!
Identifying DF version.
Loading hack\symbols.xml ... OK
Dummy symbol table entry: timed_events
So let me get this straight....We are talking monkeys living on a dirt ball that circles a fireball ? WTF ?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #1735 on: June 05, 2012, 04:46:15 pm »

slaytanic - try this:

Just everybody quit doing pointless things, grab this file, erase all os-type='darwin' symbol tables at the end, and be happy:

https://raw.github.com/angavrilov/df-structures/master/symbols.xml

[edit] Also, slink, we were yelling at 46852, not you - any 'rudeness' directed at you would have been from suggesting that 46852's advice was "a start" (when it was actually downright harmful).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:53:31 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #1736 on: June 05, 2012, 04:56:28 pm »

slaytanic - try this:

Just everybody quit doing pointless things, grab this file, erase all os-type='darwin' symbol tables at the end, and be happy:

[edit] Also, slink, we were yelling at 46852, not you - any 'rudeness' directed at you would have been from suggesting that 46852's advice was "a start" (when they were absolutely nothing of the sort).
I actually had not even seen that post when I made mine.  I read the post about changing the name of the XML section, went to the files, and came back to post without seeing what had been posted in the meantime.  I meant it literally, that the checksum was the start, not that it was the finish.  I can see now why you jumped on me when you were angry at 46852, and I think you can understand why I was angry when you did that.

slaytanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my DFFD pack
« Reply #1737 on: June 05, 2012, 05:02:54 pm »

slaytanic - try this:

[edit] Also, slink, we were yelling at 46852, not you - any 'rudeness' directed at you would have been from suggesting that 46852's advice was "a start" (when it was actually downright harmful).
THANX Quietust that worked !

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: June 05, 2012, 08:00:13 pm »

So, is there anything I can do to find that memory pointer for the announcements settings? I'm presently limited to hacking around with the DT-memory scanner. Which really got me 'nowhere, fast'. Send me a link to something I can read if need be - I don't want to bug a volunteer for features, when they've already got hands full with other tasks.

My fortress is highly dependent on workflows right now, so I'll be waiting on y'all for updates, this time, I think...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #1739 on: June 05, 2012, 08:14:10 pm »

Which "announcements settings" pointer are you looking for, and why do you need it?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 373