Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550024 times)

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #405 on: November 08, 2011, 12:28:26 pm »

To be honest, the game is rather fun. I won't spoil anything, but they managed to simplify it, yet make it better some how. I personally disliked Oblivion, but loved Morrowind, and this just feels like Morrowind to me.

As me and my nephew have been saying for an entire week. "DRAAAAAGON BOOOORN!"

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 08, 2011, 12:36:07 pm »

To be honest, the game is rather fun. I won't spoil anything, but they managed to simplify it, yet make it better some how. I personally disliked Oblivion, but loved Morrowind, and this just feels like Morrowind to me.

As me and my nephew have been saying for an entire week. "DRAAAAAGON BOOOORN!"

wait, how come you got it so early?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 08, 2011, 12:39:50 pm »

It's possible he lives in the Netherlands, there are places Skyrim has already been released there.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #408 on: November 08, 2011, 12:43:56 pm »

It's possible he lives in the Netherlands, there are places Skyrim has already been released there.
maybe he went to gamescon...
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 08, 2011, 01:37:41 pm »

They sell it, but it still requires activation on Steam. And Steam won't let you play it until the release date.
There are only two ways you can play it already: If you have a review copy... or if you have the review copy that got leaked and is all over the pirate sites.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 08, 2011, 01:41:50 pm »

They sell it, but it still requires activation on Steam. And Steam won't let you play it until the release date.
There are only two ways you can play it already: If you have a review copy... or if you have the review copy that got leaked and is all over the pirate sites.

Well if he has the console version he might have just swiped it early. I know my store tends to get games a delivered a few days in advance (after all no store wants to be the one with a release day game still in the warehouse), and if his place has lax enough security...

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 08, 2011, 01:45:01 pm »

Well if he has the console version he might have just swiped it early. I know my store tends to get games a delivered a few days in advance (after all no store wants to be the one with a release day game still in the warehouse), and if his place has lax enough security...

It's... 'available'... if you have a modded 360 console.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 08, 2011, 08:12:58 pm »

I've been watching streams for the past few days, and while they initially made the game look good as time went on I became more and more worried about the game's flaws.

This is the first time I've ever though that combat in a TES game looks satisfying.

The problem is that combat was never the reason that people played TES.  The reason that Morrowind is still touted as a pinnacle of fantasy game design is the level of thought and depth that went into the world design, and certain things that I've seen in streams have me worried that Skyrim is going down the Oblivion route instead.
In Morrowind, every dungeon had a reason to exist.  Dwemer ruins were functional structures with main halls, bedrooms, studies, workshops, and dynamos.  The lore even supported why they had survived for 4000 years.  Ancestral tombs were filled with monsters and treasure because raising the bones of one's ancestors to act as tomb guards is an ancient Dunmer religious practice.  Smugglers also had a reason for their existence: Imperial bans on the sale of Dwemer artifacts and ebony and tariffs on liquor, along with the prevalence of slavery on the island gave them an economic motivation hide out in the waterfront caves.
In Oblivion, dungeons were linear corridors filled with monsters.  I have no greater understanding of the Ayleids, apart from that they may have lost the slave revolt due to having giant, inexplicable spike pits in the middle of their living rooms.  In watching the streams, I have yet to see a dungeon that isn't just a linear path from an entrance to an exit.
Furthermore, Vvardenfell was a setting where the characters were steeped in the cultural and political landscape of the island.  It has possibly the most intelligent portrayal of necromancy in fantasy, showing how the Mage's Guild and Telvanni view necromancy as just another branch of magic whereas the Temple's ancestor worship causes them to practice a tradition of sacred necromancy while persecuting all other users.
On the other hand, Traven's idiotic jihad against necromancy in Oblivion could only be justified by turning all necromancers into evil black robe wearing goons who try to attack any passerby, no matter how heavily armed.  I had hoped that with the Mage's Guild dissolved we could forget that Oblivion ever happened, but I've seen streamers attacked by random black robed necromancers that seem to have been copy-pasted from Oblivion.

I keep getting this horrible feeling that Todd Howard is trying to overturn the renaissance that the Pocket Guide brought and return TES to the dark ages of generic Euromedieval fantasy.  I keep seeing little things, like how Dwemer and Ayleid artifacts are referred to in the menu as “Dwarven” and “Elven”.

Unfortunately, my experience with the game is limited to what I see in the streams.  If what I've seen in the streams is not indicative of the setting, Skyrim could be a great TES game with just a small number of mods.  Are the dungeons still “dungeons for the sake of dungeons”?  Are necromancers still inexplicable always chaotic evil random encounters?  Is there more conflict to the game beyond “Imperials vs. Stormcloaks”?  While any conflict at all is a step up from Oblivion's bizarrely peaceful power vacuum, I'd really like to see something more on the scale of Vvardenfell, where the island was a web of political intrigue being played by four great houses, three foreign guilds, the Imperial Legion, the Blades, the Temple, the Cult, Daedra worshipers, the Ashlanders, the Cammona Tong, the Morag Tong, and slaveholders and abolitionists, especially given that any given great house had more internal conflict than the entire province of Cyrodiil.

Also, is there any perceptible reason that Jeff Baker wasn't contacted for voice work?  Why would they assembled a team of over 70 VAs, including expensive celebrities but not include a VA who's worked for them in every recent game and whose previous work has been met with high approval?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 08, 2011, 08:21:24 pm »

I agree with everything except this:

I keep seeing little things, like how Dwemer and Ayleid artifacts are referred to in the menu as “Dwarven” and “Elven”.

The dwemer are the Elder Scrolls' version of dwarves. Always have been. Even Morrowind mentions that in the other provinces they're known as such.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 08, 2011, 08:44:26 pm »

Pre-loading on Steam has started.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 08, 2011, 08:51:09 pm »

Goddammit, $40 looks real appealing for a game like this. But that's like, 2/3 of my weekly paycheck.

Huuurrrggg growing up and being responsible is hard.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 08, 2011, 09:16:51 pm »

Pre-loading on Steam has started.
Not on mine.... Wait... *restarts steam*
AH, AHAHAHA, AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAAAAA
erhrm
Yes, I can confirm that, indeed, the pre-load has begun.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 08, 2011, 09:56:28 pm »

Damn you, Bethsoft! Damn you, Steam! LET ME BUY YOUR GODDAMNED GAME! D:<

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 08, 2011, 10:05:40 pm »

I'm so up in the air about this game...and it comes with Steam. >.<  I think I'm going to buy a used copy after the holidays are over.

EDIT: Just to say that I wish this was on GOG. I would pay $60 if it was on GOG. I won't pay $60 for the 'privilege' of installing spyware on my computer.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 08, 2011, 10:11:05 pm »

I'm so up in the air about this game...and it comes with Steam. >.<  I think I'm going to buy a used copy after the holidays are over.

EDIT: Just to say that I wish this was on GOG. I would pay $60 if it was on GOG. I won't pay $60 for the 'privilege' of installing spyware on my computer.

No DRM cracks?
I mean we live in world where cracks get pumped 1 week after the game is released.
You could buy the game legitimately and then crack it. The same thing happened with battlefield and origin didn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 896