Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558794 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #1125 on: November 15, 2011, 04:30:17 am »

I still don't understand what you guys see in this game, to be honest. The lack of soul and sameness to Oblivion killed it for me, far before the UI made me delete the entire clusterfuck from my system. (not to mention the absolutely horrible optimization on PC. Ugh. Why would a rather plain candle with unimpressive lighting effects drop my FPS ten points on sight?)

Maybe they'll put some effort into TES6. Nah, their lowest-common-demoninator games seem to be doing just swell. Sigh.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:32:24 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: November 15, 2011, 04:34:16 am »

Mhmm. Right.
The UI made you delete the entire game, I see.
Besides the ridiculousness of that statement, how many other decent fantasy action games are around, anyhow? Actually, don't answer that; last thread got locked for these arguments. :P

Now, on-topic: Been having heaps of fun, despite not even really starting on the main quest yet! So much to do...
But one strange thing I've noticed: A couple of the characters I've made have suffered really badly from annoying graphical glitches, where almost all the textures around start flashing bright blue. It actually gave me a headache, even. For some reason it seems to only happen to two-handed weapon users. ???
Anyone else experienced that, or anything similiar?
Still loving the game though, of course. The combat is very fun. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 15, 2011, 04:35:06 am »

Some thoughts mirroring mine on the Skyrim UI and why it sucks.

Spoiler: Big Image Ahead (click to show/hide)

Can't stay and discuss it, too busy playing.

Honestly I find the points listed in that picture to be petty, nitpicky, and quite misleading. The fact it's comparing Morrowind to Skyrim is one thing. Not only is there MORE content to factor into the UI, the way the content is handled must also be factored in. The way that Skyrim handles this isn't as bad as some would have you believe. Navigating my way to a spell, a sword, or a skill is extremely easy. Sure, I may have to scroll down to find the item I want, but from what I've seen so far it's all alphabetical. It takes mere seconds to find what I need. Oh gods, they used a larger fraction of the screen to display the item's image than was necessary. It MUST be inferior to Morrowind's UI.

Is there some kind of "Morrowind is better than every TES game" niche that I'm only partially aware of? Yeesh. Get over your hangups.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:36:48 am by debvon »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: November 15, 2011, 04:38:35 am »

Mhmm. Right.
The UI made you delete the entire game, I see.
Besides the ridiculousness of that statement, how many other decent fantasy action games are around, anyhow?

Yes, it did, actually. After the hack-hack-hack gameplay and the dumbed down magic system failed to impress me, the final blow was the horrible to deal with UI. If you can't wrap your head around the fact that someone has some gaming standards, then maybe you're the ridiculous one my friend.

& I'm ignoring your other question, as it is irrelevant. Lack of "Fantasy Action Games" =/= Skyrim is a good one.

Actually, don't answer that; last thread got locked for these arguments. :P

Keep your snippy side-comments to yourself and you won't get a response.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:40:49 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 15, 2011, 04:39:20 am »

Personally, I agree with some of the points in that image, but I actually quite like the way you can see what's going on in the background.
The main thing that really bothers me, is how pressing circle instantly dumps you out of the menus- something that's gotten my poor characters killed a few times now, as the were grabbing for that vital health  potion in the middle of a fierce battle!

@Mictlantecuhtli: Well, if your 'gaming standards' describe Skyrim as having 'hack-hack-hack' gameplay and end up causing you to delete it, they must be pretty hard to please!
But oh well.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:41:37 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 15, 2011, 04:51:13 am »

the world feels actually a lot deeper than oblivion

and it's a lot more polished and complete than oblivion, making it way more immersive: someone compared it to a heavily modded oblivion installation; while this doesn't make it exceptional, one can't say that the game totally sucks.

combat (except dragons) is very brutal. while that doesn't make it difficult, makes it more enjoyable: one/two shotting an enemy with arrows gives you way more feedback on your character than oblivion mid level bandits which required one thousand sword hits before getting killed without actually posing any danger and being just annoying.

dragon are a mixed bag: combat is cinematic and engaging and somewhat satisfying, but it lacks any lore justification on why they are so lame that you can be engulfed in flames multiple times while an orse bite is enough to kill you.
they could have got by with some bullshit, like them being weak from the time passed or some other bs. but they chose not.

In the end, this is what makes this game shallow. It's just a run and gun, with lot of content but no background. Also, too much killing and too few scheming. All the diplomacy, theft, intrigue from morrowind and even that still that was in oblivion are lost in skyrim.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 15, 2011, 04:53:12 am »

@Mictlantecuhtli: Well, if your 'gaming standards' describe Skyrim as having 'hack-hack-hack' gameplay and end up causing you to delete it, they must be pretty hard to please!
But oh well.

Obviously. I know I sound like a negative nancy, but it's true. After being spoiled with an internet connection and the ability to immerse myself in well-made RPG after RPG of the action strain (Gothic, Arx Fatalis, amongst others) Bethesda's recent attempts to "change" things have left me more disillusioned then before. I don't know. Maybe I expect too much from a game touting it's revolutionary gameplay in the year 2011. I know for a fact it can be better then this menagerie.

Ranwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 15, 2011, 05:07:20 am »

In the end, this is what makes this game shallow. It's just a run and gun, with lot of content but no background. Also, too much killing and too few scheming. All the diplomacy, theft, intrigue from morrowind and even that still that was in oblivion are lost in skyrim.

Have you actually played through most of the game yet? As in, finished the main storyline? So far I've found this game to be anything but shallow.

I don't think you people are ALLOWING yourselves to enjoy and appreciate this game. You're constantly trying to compare every little thing to games past, and memories of playing your favorite game are always sweeter. You're coming up with any little thing to label it a disappointment.

I still don't understand what you guys see in this game, to be honest. The lack of soul and sameness to Oblivion killed it for me, far before the UI made me delete the entire clusterfuck from my system. (not to mention the absolutely horrible optimization on PC. Ugh. Why would a rather plain candle with unimpressive lighting effects drop my FPS ten points on sight?)

Maybe they'll put some effort into TES6. Nah, their lowest-common-demoninator games seem to be doing just swell. Sigh.

If you genuinely can't bring yourself to enjoy the game for what it is, fine. But really.. uninstalling for something as petty and nonsensical as the UI? Please. I think you're being too critical of something due to expectations of perfection and overly-jaded opinions. Put aside your little issues and give it a chance. Oh, and would it kill one to play on a lower graphic setting to accommodate their system? I have NO fps issues, not even with lighting, and I'm playing on medium with a 5 year-old PC rig.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1133 on: November 15, 2011, 05:10:47 am »

guys guys calm down all of you, will you?
really, calm down and realize that your thoughts are subjective to your personal playing.
i have friend who gives a 10 to every single zelda game and a 2 to every cod game.
and viceversa another one who gives 10 to cod and 2 to zelda.
really, he uninstalled for the ui? it's his choice. let him speak about it, acknowledge that he doesn't like the ui and get going saying how you, instead, loved the ui or how even though the ui is crap you didn't uninstall it, but don't pick on him for having uninstalled for that.
viceversa if somebody likes a series of game made by a company, don't go and insult that company or their way of making games, but after stating your opinion clearly and without bias, simply acknowledge that there are people who like that sort of game.
really, it's not difficult to do.

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 15, 2011, 05:17:16 am »

The truth to me is that this game isn't the one that it can be criticised for not being (does that even make sense?). It is not a missed opportunity, as inferred, because Bethesda will never make a 'true' RPG - they can't risk poor sales.

And it is essentially a hack-hack-hack content over intrigue game, but it's visceral, beautiful, broad, generally well balanced and versatile, and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

The UI is designed for control pads to the point where mice are barely considered (I'm almost surprised the cursor is there) and in my opinion can not be adequately defended.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: November 15, 2011, 05:50:28 am »

Alright, it has been a few days. I think I will ask again! :D

Those of you playing on the console versions, how does your game run? What are the issues you are having that are specific to your version of the game? I would really adore it if someone has played both the PS3 and 360 versions extensively; how do they stack up? I've heard both have issues, but any first hand experience is welcome!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 15, 2011, 05:56:15 am »

Restart the game completly and abandon 37 hour char because the scaling makes my thief unplayable in combat (1 hitted by default randrom creatures on easy difficulty, even thou I'm wearing full ebony armor and have 200 health) or slug onwards, hoping that the enemies eventually max there bullshit out?

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: November 15, 2011, 06:03:48 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: November 15, 2011, 06:33:02 am »

@ThtblovesDF: I gotta say, that does suck. I always hated the idea of level scaling, and it really should've been taken out... This is just a case-in-point.
Not really sure what you should do, as I haven't been playing that long, yet.

@Rex_Nex: Well, I'm playing PS3, and I haven't had all that many issues. The only noticable one has been on two characters, both of whom used two-handed weapons... For some reason, a large amount of the textures on-screen suddenly start flashing bright blue, usually in a dungeon or cave area. :-\ It's strange because it's only affected two-handed weapon users, not either of my other characters.
Other than that (kinda large) issue, I haven't had any bugs or problems I'm aware of. :) Gonna go play some more now.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: November 15, 2011, 06:43:19 am »

This. Game. Friggin'. RULES.

Orcs ftw!

Agreed.

But Nords look better, and are better in every way~

/thorred
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 896