Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558538 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #1095 on: November 14, 2011, 10:28:50 pm »

[/otherpeople'srant]

I have it! At last! :D
The shop was open, I went in there, handed over the cash and my EBGames card, and BAM! I have it! :D
Played it pretty much non-stop til well after 1AM, and wow, I love it. Also, it's great that I received a free upgrade to the special edition when I pre-ordered, so I get all the extra goodies like the special case and the book.
(What the hell are the cards for, though? ??? Those confuse me.)
Infact, the book inspired me to actually write a journal from my character's viewpoint, which is pretty good for getting into character as it were.
I've actually made three characters so far, an imperial swordsman, (My main guy) a really lame-looking woodelf I'm highly unlikely to load up again, and a fistfightin' orc. :) Going to go play it some more now.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: November 14, 2011, 10:38:37 pm »

I'm not sure how easily the game will be moddable. General value tweaking is easy. But all the integrated menu shit they've put into it looks even more unwieldy than Oblivion. There were a few mods to expand what information could be displayed, but you didn't see people doing stuff like putting in custom icons, adding new menu tabs, new skills or any of that stuff. Going on what was possible in FO3 and FO:NV....and the general trend that newer engines are harder to mod for....I expect Skyrim is going to have the same problems.

That will probably still leave a lot of room for custom items, custom scripts, survival type stuff and all the graphical modding....but since Morrowind it seems like the core of Beth games has gotten progressively harder to screw with.

Still, I'm pretty stoked to see what modders come up with.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 14, 2011, 10:41:08 pm »

A few of questions for those who have been playing a lot:

Do arrow headshots do more damage?
When dual-wielding, is it more practical to have two swords, or is there a point to having a dagger in one hand?
Are guild chests safe to use? I.E. will you find your stuff missing if you use them?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: November 14, 2011, 10:43:43 pm »

I use two swords pretty exclusively.

They are so good.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: November 14, 2011, 10:45:03 pm »

I always use two maces for some reason, probably because all of the good weapons I seem to be looting are just maces.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: November 14, 2011, 10:46:43 pm »

I do sword dagger. I think you get a quicker 2-hit set of swings. Plus if you have the backstab and assassin perk, you've got your stabby weapon and your all out combat weapon, both good to go.

I put stuff in the Thief Guild Chest and left for, I dunno, 10 minutes including some fast-traveling and came back, it was still there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: November 14, 2011, 10:51:27 pm »

also, how long till I get better blades than the ones made from giant earwigs?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1102 on: November 14, 2011, 11:05:31 pm »

also, how long till I get better blades than the ones made from giant earwigs?
Er.. pretty much immediately if you make them. You can make some sweet elven or dwarven weapons, and the skysteel sword I got for free and enhanced to flawless is far and away better than the falmer (sp?) weapons, if that is what you're referring to. In fact I have been using it since LEVEL 8 and it is still better than everything I have found up to the Ebony Sword I just got, which will be better once I improve it at a crafting area and enchant it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 14, 2011, 11:06:42 pm »

A few of questions for those who have been playing a lot:

Do arrow headshots do more damage?

A tentative yes from me. A headshot to an elk while sneaking downs them in one shot, while anyplace else they tend to survive with a little hp and run.

However there are a ton of variables in there, random rolls, possibility of mobs having variable HP, possibility of distance changing damage, archery skill, ect.  So I wouldn't call it a sure thing.   But if you have an easy shot at the head, why not?  It looks badass when you come up to collect an elk corpse and see the arrow embedded right in the throat or between the eyes.

That and if your target lives it's amusing watching them run around like they are wearing a gag arrow.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 14, 2011, 11:06:57 pm »

eh, I'm a pretty sucky blacksmith, tbh.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 14, 2011, 11:47:25 pm »

This. Game. Friggin'. RULES.

Orcs ftw!
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 14, 2011, 11:55:03 pm »

There were a few mods to expand what information could be displayed, but you didn't see people doing stuff like putting in custom icons, adding new menu tabs, new skills or any of that stuff.

Ever see this? Oblivion's entire UI was in XML; you could just drop a load of textures/icons into the appropriate folder, play around with a few lines of text and go. The only thing people needed the CS for was for looking up the syntax. But yeah, I don't hold out hope for Skyrim to be as moddable, but there's always hacks if the CS doesn't go far enough. Providing, of course, the game lives long enough for that to be relevant.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 15, 2011, 12:12:54 am »

Wow, something really lame just happened. My badass Sword/dagger dual-wielding warrior-mage who's also an archer just got one hitted...By a bandit. The dude was on a freakin' bridge, and I could barely see him. I was staring at him, and then I saw a small streak coming closer and closer, then BAM!

Deeaaad.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: November 15, 2011, 12:30:57 am »

Warrior-mage-archer don't sound that badass to me. You can't really specialize in any of those classes until you are like level 45 or something. Probly that's why you got one-hitted. Then again my assassin got one hitted by a merc once.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 15, 2011, 12:50:31 am »

I'm going straight warrior, focusing on two-handed weapons.

Spoiler: Scumbag Ralof (click to show/hide)
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 896