Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558586 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #1515 on: November 17, 2011, 05:26:43 pm »

Enchanting in Morrowind was soo broken though.
Especially because you had 2 gloves, a skirt, a shirt, a cuirass, 2 pauldrons, trousers, greaves, a helmet, 2 rings and a necklace.

Combine that with being able to add several enchantments to an item, and you could easily beat Dagoth Ur's invinciblity.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1516 on: November 17, 2011, 05:27:18 pm »

Or you could enchant all of them with chameleon and smack people in the face while invisible forever

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: November 17, 2011, 05:28:30 pm »

Or you could make a chameleon spell, add soultrap, point at the ground and get eternal spell effect.

I suddenly want to play Morrowind.
*Hugs*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: November 17, 2011, 05:30:47 pm »

To me that's the point of TES games though; breaking the system. I agree it was broken in that you had too many items, too many effects to manage, and 4 ways to do the same thing. But their heart was in the right place. Skyrim's enchanting is only really interesting I think because it inherits so many memories and good will from Morrowind and Oblivion enchanting. If you took it alone by itself.....it stacks up to what games do today, but not much else.

Personally I just miss making lunactic enchantments, like +100% run speed for 20 seconds, +acrobatics, aoe frenzy.....so many ways to have fun in the world that you cooked up.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:32:23 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: November 17, 2011, 05:32:56 pm »

I never said it being broken was a bad thing :P

Anyway, getting Skyrim this weekend, then I can go back and open all those delicious spoilers.
*Hugs*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: November 17, 2011, 06:03:37 pm »

Just found this mod:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=88

For those of you who want your re-bound keys to actually work! It will also reassign a lot of hard-coded wasd stuff to the arrow keys, make the mouse functional for entering/exiting, and makes common sense shit like hitting the favorites key again to close the favorites menu work!
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: November 17, 2011, 06:13:09 pm »

Heheheh, this...is pretty bad. I'm way over my head...I have 7 1/2 hours on my newest character, and he's level 22. I just went around, buying up leather strips and iron ingots, and then making Iron Daggers. Problem is however, I'm still a Warrior/Rogue/Mage, so I'm slightly underclassed by enemies. I can waste enough with dual castin' friebolts, then I whip out my 39 damage Skysteel axe and hack 'em, but there's just too many. The companions questline? On expert, it's f**king hard. Had to bump it down to Adept just to kill that one Mini-Boss guy.

Maybe I should have specialized, but I aint making another character. I absofreakinglutely HATE re-doing anything in a game. Sucks to be me, I guess.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: November 17, 2011, 06:29:52 pm »

Yea, this game kinda requires some kind of specialization I've noticed.. otherwise its alot harder.  At the least, you need to think about one type of defensive skill and one of kind of offensive skill. 

My Orc Warrior focuses on heavy armor, one handed weapons, and blocking for his combat skills.  His highest non-combat skill is smithing, although at level 17, he's using full superior steel armor (unechanted), a dwarven shield, and a self-enchanted skyforge steel sword.  The enchantment is rather weak, dealing 10 shock damage a hit with about 16 charges or so.  Also has a necklace with 10% bonus to block, but no other enchanted items yet.

I have very few problems with any enemies, even on Expert.  Sept casters, they annoy me.  I need magic resistance..

On the flipside, my old orc warrior, aka my first char made, was ~14 or so and kept getting his ass handed to him left and right.  Why? I think because I leveled up smithing far too quickly without raising heavy armor or one handed weapons enough.  I didn't go for blocking at all at first either, as I wanted to dual wield.  He was also on Expert, and funnily enough, he was using dwarven/orcish armor.  Still got his ass handed to him.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: November 17, 2011, 06:56:45 pm »

Master Destruction spells are

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: November 17, 2011, 06:59:48 pm »

The charge up times are a big reason why I stopped bothering with magic except as an opener. When your switching spells, switching weapons....you have to time starting up the charge right...otherwise you start charging before the animation has stopped and you're just holding keys and wasting time. When something is barreling at you to melee, it can get you killed.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: November 17, 2011, 07:01:58 pm »

Personally I just miss making lunactic enchantments, like +100% run speed for 20 seconds, +acrobatics, aoe frenzy.....

Enchant everything with on-use 1sec Jump -> make 100pt jump spell -> activate everything at once. (Or just uncap the spell creator with MCP and make a 400pt Jump spell)

I think enemy spellcasters need a nerf. With a mage character, your damage output is pretty average and the additional effects don't seem to faze enemies much. Some random necromancer with a frost beam? Good luck killing him without taking massive damage if you're melee-focussed. Probably just lowering their magicka mult in the CS would work, assuming such a thing still exists (and possibly giving them more varied spells to make up for it).

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: November 17, 2011, 07:09:57 pm »

Play master erry day

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: November 17, 2011, 07:11:39 pm »

Getting Skyrim soon, hopefully. On the note of absurd enchantments and exploits: I honestly prefer to have them included, as it gives me something to do when I get bored. Beat the game five times with radically different characters? Make a cheaty character and have fun tooling around with absurd effects. I vaguely remember having a fire spell in Morrowind that was the visual equivalent of a tacnuke; I'd cast it in a town, the game would start lagging, a massive ball of fire would erupt, and everyone would be on fire and pissed off because the actual damage was near zero.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: November 17, 2011, 07:19:16 pm »

Just upgraded from that full suit of superior steel armor to a full suit of flawless Orcish armor.  Everything's still unenchanted, though.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: November 17, 2011, 07:25:29 pm »

Am i the only one to hate npc followers ? After having to follow this imperial guy during the tutorial, i pretty much became allergic to the idea of having "help" from NPCs (ie babysitting them), so i never have any, unless... a quest puts one in my charge. God, i hate them.

There was this mage chick in one dungeon, she kept killing enemies just when i was about to hit them, and i had to stay away from her line of fire, cuz i know for a fact that enemy mages hit each other all the time.
And right now there's this quest for the Companions, where they put me under the supervision of some two-handed warrior. Except he feel more like a dead weight to me. Gotta be careful not to hit him in combat, and he's useless because i'm too high level for the quest.

And now i'll need to reload my save and do the whole dungeon with him all over again (yay), because i discovered that the zombie on which i had stored half the loot for convenience, had disappeared. I guess the body count inside the dungeon got too high and the game cleaned up a bit...  :(
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 896