Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558292 times)

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #1770 on: November 19, 2011, 12:17:45 pm »

To be blunt your views just arent valid as you just said you haven't played the game. How can you hate something you havent tried, you then bitch at the graphics to then say you dont care about graphics.

Why dont you remove the nostalgia goggles from morrowind a second, skyrim is worth a try.

The reason people are annoyed is due to the fact is that you've came here and said you've hated the game and you haven't played it. Go play it for a good ten hours and then come back, if you still hate it then fair enough.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:32:41 pm by Kivish Zokun »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: November 19, 2011, 12:34:44 pm »

I don't do this very often, because I usually think these 'pick-apart-the-argument' posts are overly pedantic. However, I just couldn't resist in this case- Leatra's post was just so ridiculous, I had to say something.

Quote from: Leatra
In the official forums, people said there wasn't many choices about quests. Someone said at one point you have to turn into a werewolf whether you want to be or not.
Just like Morrowind, where you are forced to contract Corpus as part of the main quest.

Also, game is kinda pushing you to play a Nord/Warrior because of the narrowness of the plot.
Just like Morrowind, where it makes more sense for you to be Dunmer considering the Neverarine Prophecies etc.
Besides which: it categorically does not do what you claim. I play an Argonian and have no problems. The lore does not state "the Dragonborn must be a Nord". All races are represented in the game realistically- non-Nords are shunned by certain factions, but they most certainly do not represent the entire game world. (Edited: Got my factions a bit messed up here. The Imperials aren't the ones who keep yelling "Skyrim is for the Nords!")

Game also promised excellent graphics but textures are really bad. Clothings looks horrible.
I could show you some screenshots but I don't really care much about graphics because I value gameplay rather than graphics.
These two sentences back-to-back... just lol. Thank you for the giggle. :)

I know everybody is going to hate me for saying I don't like Skyrim.
This isn't the reason.

I didn't play it yet
THIS is the reason. :)

I have very many complaints about the game myself, but I own the game, I've played it for many hours, and overall it is a very worthy entry into the TES series in my opinion. The good far outweighs the bad, and what shortcomings it has will be patched and modded out in due time.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:40:34 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1772 on: November 19, 2011, 12:38:43 pm »

I'd call it an "Open World First Person Hack & Slash" imho...Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas don't match what I consider to be a real "RPG", they're closer to Mass Effect than Knights of the Old Republic if you get my meaning.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:40:16 pm by MorleyDev »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: November 19, 2011, 12:39:53 pm »

I'd call it an "Open World First Person Hack & Slash" imho...

Much like morrowind in that regard.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: November 19, 2011, 12:40:31 pm »

Nah, in Morrowind you needed to roll dice in order to actually hit your enemy when you swung your weapon/
*Hugs*

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: November 19, 2011, 12:41:36 pm »

Less D&D doesn't equal less RPG.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1776 on: November 19, 2011, 12:43:55 pm »

I'd call it an "Open World First Person Hack & Slash" imho...

Much like morrowind in that regard.

But Morrowind is a lot closer to "RPG" along the spectrum if you ask me. Your success in everything is fundamentally tied to a digital die roll, whilst in Oblivion and Skyrim you can still hit and kill buggers with the lowest "one handed" skill around. For me that's what makes it a Oblivion a Hack and Slash vs Morrowind as an RPG. Or at least what I consider an RPG, namely in an RPG gameplay is intrinsically and fundamentally linked with your stats, instead of simply being "nudged" by them.

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: November 19, 2011, 12:44:31 pm »

Less D&D doesn't equal less RPG.

This, also lets be honest the melee combat in morrowind was crap, it was also crap in Oblivion, Skyrim is the first TES game where I've had any fun playing as a warrior type character.

But Morrowind is a lot closer to "RPG" along the spectrum if you ask me. Your success in everything is fundamentally tied to a digital die roll, whilst in Oblivion and Skyrim you can still hit and kill buggers with the lowest "one handed" skill around. For me that's what makes it a Oblivion a Hack and Slash vs Morrowind as an RPG. Or at least what I consider an RPG, namely in an RPG gameplay is intrinsically and fundamentally linked with your stats, instead of simply being "nudged" by them.

The stats make a massive impact in skyrim, for example my sword using warrior does 68 damage with a legendary glass sword, with a legendary glass warhammer he does maybe 30 damage.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:47:19 pm by Kivish Zokun »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: November 19, 2011, 12:46:57 pm »

If I could change the world of gaming in one way, I'd remove the term "RPG" from the lexicon.  Everyone you ask has a different answer for what does and does not constitute an RPG, to the point where it feels meaningless and I think we'd be better off using different rubrics to describe games.  When people start multi-page arguments over whether or not a game falls into a category for which no one can agree on a definition, there's a problem.

If you define it loosely enough, nearly every game is a roleplaying game.  Gears of War 3 is an RPG that puts you in the role of 400 pounds of misshapen bone and muscle.  That's still a role that you're playing.

EDIT:  As usual, the Daedric Prince quests are all awesome.  Molag Bal's quest especially is great.

EDIT EDIT:  Overall, I like Skyrim more than Morrowind.  The only thing Morrowind has going for it is quest lines that don't kill everyone in the world so the player can be more important (A trend started in Oblivion and continued to a thankfully lesser degree in Skyrim.  If they thought they could get away with it I bet they would've made you the Emperor in Oblivion), and a better atmosphere.  Morrowind's setting and atmosphere are incredibly, probably because it's untread ground.  Nobody had ever done it before, the pseudo-Mesopotamian style, the Tribunal and Saints, it's all unique.  The confrontation with Vivec near the end of the main quest is probably the closest I've seen a game come to portraying talking to a deity.  You come in there with all kinds of accusations and then they just die on your lips because even as a pretender god who fucked everything up he's obviously beyond you in every single way.  You can't stay mad at him.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:57:42 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1779 on: November 19, 2011, 12:53:24 pm »

Well it's rather ill-defined. For me it comes down to whether the game is about the player or character.

For example, in Halo I'm very much going "BOYA I JUST SHOT DA CONVENANT ELITE DUD3S!!11!". But in Knights of the Old Republic, I was thinking "Revan must pick the lock", in Morrowind I'm thinking "Nerevaraine is a skilled assassin whose amazing lock picking skills opened the door", in Oblivion I'm thinking "Well, time for me to go through that damned lock picking mini-game".

Morrowind, RPG. I'm playing the character in the game.
Oblivion, Hack & Slash. I'm playing the game.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:57:48 pm by MorleyDev »

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: November 19, 2011, 12:57:54 pm »

I,for one, having played Morrowind, its expansions, Oblivion(alas), find the lack of stats in Skyrim a boon. Morrowind and Oblivion system made me want to min/max where Skyrim just lets me enjoy the stories and get immersed in the world without having to worry if I had leveled skill X enough time to max my stats.
I know you didn't have to min/max but the simple fact that it was possible made me want to do it each time. Skyrim is just more immersive imo.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: November 19, 2011, 01:01:26 pm »

I,for one, having played Morrowind, its expansions, Oblivion(alas), find the lack of stats in Skyrim a boon. Morrowind and Oblivion system made me want to min/max where Skyrim just lets me enjoy the stories and get immersed in the world without having to worry if I had leveled skill X enough time to max my stats.
I know you didn't have to min/max but the simple fact that it was possible made me want to do it each time. Skyrim is just more immersive imo.

Very well said. Morrowind was much more about numbers and less about being immersed as a character. One way or another, you'd always eventually become a beast who 1-hits everything, even Vivec himself, and could leap 2000ft into the air in a single bound.

Skyrim still has plenty of stats and numbers for those who like that sort of thing, but not so much that it detracts from the flow of gameplay, or makes me feel like I'm playing a MMORPG where my "build" is all that really matters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: November 19, 2011, 01:11:00 pm »

The Morrowind/Oblivion system also had some counterintuitive side-effects.  Starting out with high skills was worse for you in the long run, making it harder to level up once you'd maxed them out.

EDIT:  At least I remember that being true.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: November 19, 2011, 01:35:15 pm »

I'd agree with you for about 50% of the game. However, when Level 30 rears its head, you start missing all the "min/maxing" because the game left itself and you nowhere to go. Mages in particular, what do they have to look forward to? The only thing honestly keeping me playing right now is the fact I haven't maxed out smithing and enchanting. I could easily put Skyrim down now and say I've had my 40 hours of fun and not be bitter....but the absence of any true long-term considerations does make me sad. Morrowind was great at letting you set your own goals and decide when you were done playing. Oblivion less so, but you could still set obscene spell crafting and enchanting goals. Neither of those are really possible in Skyrim anymore. Once you hit 100 enchanting, you're at the top of the mountain, enjoy mixing and matching two effects until you realize you've made everything useful and interesting that you possibly can.

I'm a fan of Skyrim, but somewhere along the line they stopped trying to be clever. They went with exceptionally low-hanging fruit and I can't say I'm not disappointed about that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1784 on: November 19, 2011, 01:45:14 pm »

So I'm the only one who anti-min/maxes? I tend to go for the most fun broken build I can think of. Hell, my current fighting tactic in Skyrim at the moment is to pelt the enemies with Frenzy spells and turn the entire room into one massive free-for-all :D Is it the most efficient way of clearing a room? Probably not. Is it fun? Very.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 896