Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559258 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #1860 on: November 20, 2011, 12:37:29 am »

Sorry for not reading the pages and pages of spoilers, but when is a patch going to fix the interface problems that I hear plague the PC version because of console port?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: November 20, 2011, 12:40:33 am »

Sorry for not reading the pages and pages of spoilers, but when is a patch going to fix the interface problems that I hear plague the PC version because of console port?
Interface problems??? I must be oblivious to them...
Check the website I linked moments ago, someone might have made a mod that fixes it already...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: November 20, 2011, 12:43:09 am »

They're modding it as we speak.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: November 20, 2011, 12:44:49 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ye-haw

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: November 20, 2011, 12:45:00 am »

The only real problem I have with the interface is that it was done in flash. It takes some getting used to otherwise, as it is really meant for consoles.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/11/pc-skyrim-is-a-frustrating-messand-will-soon-be-the-best-version.ars

This sums it up pretty well.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: November 20, 2011, 12:53:45 am »

I am an Imperial. I came to Skyrim to join the Empire's army to reinforce our strength in that frost bitten land. But on arriving across the boarer I stumbled into what appeared to be an Ambush by the Empire's Army against someone. I took shelther, attempting to stay out of harms way, it wasn't my fight yet. The fighting began to slow down and the last screams of death finished their echos amoungst the trees. I peeked my head out from behind the rock I had taken shelther behind only to find multiple steel arrow heads inches away from my nose. My hands were lashed and I was thrown into a Cart with three others before I could even speak a word of my innocence and my reason for being there. None the less. I can tell this is not a good start to my future life...

Even though I too were Imperial, I was treated like those I had been captured along side. Clearly not even wanting to join the army could keep me safe from the Headsman...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: November 20, 2011, 12:56:21 am »

The wealth of hidden items was amazing, Daedric, ebony, glass those words MEANT SOMETHING. There were only two full suits of daedric, That was it, The guild quests took DAYS to complete. There were consequences! When you became a death dealing juggernaut you actually EARNED it.
Compared to the atrocities possible with enchanting and alchemy (and the general focus on skills and stats), I'm not sure getting the very tip-top base armor type really mattered all that much.

It was harder to find out about, you actually had to look for ways to break it. I know I never would have found out that if I made potions to boost my intelligence I could break alchemy, I found that on the internet... this was of course long after I had complete the game numerous times so it didn't effect me. I did farm daedric weapons from dremora though... that was pretty easy to figure out...
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: November 20, 2011, 12:56:59 am »

Ye-haw
FUCK. YES.

+1 interweb interconnected network of messengers and other communication methods to you.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: November 20, 2011, 01:01:18 am »

Anyone ever notice the archer being plucked off the wall and thrown into the air by the dragon at the start of the game, just before you enter the Keep...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: November 20, 2011, 01:08:31 am »

The only real problem I have with the interface is that it was done in flash. It takes some getting used to otherwise, as it is really meant for consoles.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/11/pc-skyrim-is-a-frustrating-messand-will-soon-be-the-best-version.ars

They really took their "I make IPOD!" design goal to heart.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: November 20, 2011, 01:13:45 am »

Does anyone know what these runes/symbols are? I've seen more of them but I only screenshotted these ones.

Yeah I've seen them too, what gives?

That's proprietary Thieves Guild knowledge. Union regulations, hope you understand.

So I just got down the Calcermo portion of the TG quest. I have to retract a few earlier statements about the questline.

Good times, it's probably the most extensive stealth mission I've played in a TES game. Not a lot to it, in the end, but compared to what the game has asked of a thief so far, this was by far the most challenging and requires actual effort to not get seen. About the only thing that spoils it is the somewhat unbelievable stealth handling of the game, where a guy 30 feet away from you in a lit room can't see you. Not great by Thief standards, but pretty decent by TES ones.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: November 20, 2011, 01:21:30 am »

Skyrim is a fun game, but it holds your hand all the way, you don't have to think at all to solve any quest. In morrowind there were no waypoints, no arrows to help you. You had a map, and a general direction.
You can unselect the quest to get rid of arrows. Most people don't find searching through vast swaths of wilderness for one specific cave very fun for very long, but you can just not check your map very often for a very lite version of that.
I've heard people say the same thing about Oblivion, and it just isn't true.  The game is designed around using quest markers, as no one gives any kind of directions.  Furthermore, very little quest information is recorded in the game's WoW-styled "journal" (read: quest list).  I wouldn't mind some markers (i.e. a location or NPC you've already encountered), but when the game marks the location of an ancient artifact that's been lost for generations or the next person you need to question in a mystery it becomes incredibly intrusive and highlights the fact that the game doesn't require you to think, it just points you in a direction and tells you who to kill.

The wealth of hidden items was amazing, Daedric, ebony, glass those words MEANT SOMETHING. There were only two full suits of daedric, That was it, The guild quests took DAYS to complete. There were consequences! When you became a death dealing juggernaut you actually EARNED it.
Compared to the atrocities possible with enchanting and alchemy (and the general focus on skills and stats), I'm not sure getting the very tip-top base armor type really mattered all that much.
Most people don't figure out how to break alchemy, enchanting, and spellmaking on their first playthrough.

They really took their "I make IPOD!" design goal to heart.
When I saw the interface preview and heard Todd comparing it to Apple, my first thought was <http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-introduces-revolutionary-new-laptop-with-no,14299/> except serious.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: November 20, 2011, 01:25:11 am »

Ye-haw

I'm with you on this.

Spoiler: So cool. (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: November 20, 2011, 01:28:41 am »

When I saw the interface preview and heard Todd comparing it to Apple, my first thought was <http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-introduces-revolutionary-new-laptop-with-no,14299/> except serious.

The fact they're apeing Apple's streamlined design just makes the makes the UI problems that more embarrassing. You can forgive a UI that's doing too much for having problems and/or missing basic functionality. For a UI with literally nothing to it, it has issues everywhere.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: November 20, 2011, 02:36:43 am »

Spoiler: Azura quest spoilers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: in reply (click to show/hide)

(Comparatively, when I ran into some overpowered bandits tonight, who were taking away half my health with a single arrow, on the normal difficulty level, I just Shouted most of them and their fully-armored-in-steel-plate captain off the mountain, and then killed the last one in melee. The ones inside their fort were much less deadly, especially after I leveled up and boosted light armor another 20%. I'm not sure if I ran into these guys because I hit level 30, or because I made some rather high-quality glass armor and weapons, or because it was just a high-level area. Hmm.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 896