Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550057 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2835 on: November 27, 2011, 04:23:55 pm »

I recently went into a small dungeon with water everywhere, and I was extremely dissapointed that I couldn't use the shock spell to electrocute all of the necromancers running around.

I kind of wish there was more interaction between the environment and the spells you cast.

Hey is there a water dungeon? so far the water breathing is extremely useless. Even Oblivion had a few (very few) underwater sections but Skyrim seems to have none.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: November 27, 2011, 04:28:38 pm »

There's a few dungeons where it might have been useful...

But any good TES player is quick with the F5 and it basically removes the need for them. On that note, where's the slaughterfish? I find their remains and stuff everywhere, but I've gone the whole game without seeing them and there's a few places where their inclusion would have been both awesome and appropriate.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: November 27, 2011, 04:30:25 pm »

But any good TES player is quick with the F5 and it basically removes the need for them. On that note, where's the slaughterfish? I find their remains and stuff everywhere, but I've gone the whole game without seeing them and there's a few places where their inclusion would have been both awesome and appropriate.

The way the game is set up makes it impossible for there to be Slaughterfish.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: November 27, 2011, 04:40:15 pm »

That's an awfully generic reason. I've noticed there's no swimming creatures except for fish you can collect....I'm assuming it has something to do with that? (Even though the avatar can swim....)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: November 27, 2011, 04:41:17 pm »

That's an awfully generic reason. I've noticed there's no swimming creatures except for fish you can collect....I'm assuming it has something to do with that? (Even though the avatar can swim....)

It is because nothing can attack while submerged.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: November 27, 2011, 04:41:22 pm »

Big lakes and rivers have a handful of them.  They aren't actually threatening though.  Though they do consistently cause your followers to become completely focused on them wasting countless arrows trying to shoot them and causing them to fall behind when you don't care about killing it.

So basically they are an annoyance more because of the AI than because they are an actual threat.  As much as I like slaughterfish being something to make water not entirely safe, they are very bad in this game.  Once you get out of the water you should be able to ignore them.  But you can't without ditching your follower, and I think it would be much better if they just didn't exist in skyrim.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: November 27, 2011, 04:41:43 pm »

I met some outside the first place you encounter the Dark Brotherhood, little bastards stopped me from fast traveling.
*Hugs*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: November 27, 2011, 04:42:12 pm »

Big lakes and rivers have a handful of them.  They aren't actually threatening though.  Though they do consistently cause your followers to become completely focused on them wasting countless arrows trying to shoot them and causing them to fall behind when you don't care about killing it.

So basically they are an annoyance more because of the AI than because they are an actual threat.  As much as I like slaughterfish being something to make water not entirely safe, they are very bad in this game.  Once you get out of the water you should be able to ignore them.  But you can't without ditching your follower, and I think it would be much better if they just didn't exist in skyrim.

I am mistaken then.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: November 27, 2011, 04:46:49 pm »

You are kinda right though. Underwater combat is pretty much non-existent. I remember you couldn't get into any medium size pond in Oblivion without worrying about Slaughterfish going after your dangly bits.

And it just doesn't seem right that in Skyrim, which is like the Texas of Tamriel, that the Slaughterfish are more of an annoyance, rather than monstrous predators "what that ate Gnorrgi Icebeard when he went down to the river to pee."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: November 27, 2011, 05:01:25 pm »

I'm surprised there's no mod out yet that allows combat underwater.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: November 27, 2011, 05:02:19 pm »

My solution is I NEVER have companions come with.

Mostly because I don't want them to die.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: November 27, 2011, 05:03:25 pm »

I like having companions, even if it's just to carry a torch, although ever since I found out that you can set people on fire with them, that's been devalued
*Hugs*

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: November 27, 2011, 05:08:06 pm »

They probably had good reasons to not include underwater combat. "We don't like the players" is most likely not one of them. ;)
There's animations, combat/magic/stealth to balance, aquatic enemies to design, dungeons to design, ... Time, money and other resources were probably better spent elsewhere, and we don't know how many resources they had to begin with.

A shame, of course. I personally love underwater adventures and locations.  Hopefully there will be mods to add some aquatic content, even without combat people could add some creative things down there.

Actual mods will have to wait for the Construction Kit to be released. (Not sure if it's released yet or not, but if it has it hasn't been for long)  Adding actual underwater combat is likely not something that could be added easily even with the CS.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: November 27, 2011, 05:18:20 pm »

Nope, no Construction Kit yet and there's no release date in sight. Although there was a rumor of a new patch coming out a week after thanksgiving, so I suspect that's when they'll release the Construction Kit.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: November 27, 2011, 05:22:23 pm »

There's animations, combat/magic/stealth to balance, aquatic enemies to design, dungeons to design, ... Time, money and other resources were probably better spent elsewhere, and we don't know how many resources they had to begin with.

In other words, work? Sorry, but that's just so apologetic I couldn't let it pass. Somehow I don't think it would have taken a miracle to put more fish in Skyrim and let us hit the swing weapon button underwater, forget fancy underwatered theme'd dungeons. (Of which Oblivion had at least two, not so fancy ones.)

It was just considered expendable. Which seems like a dumb decision, considering I can't open a cabinet or a barrel without finding slaughter fish scales, slaughter fish eggs, grilled slaughterfish, fried slaughterfish, slaughterfish tempura or slaughterfish ala mode.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:24:08 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 896