Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558304 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #2865 on: November 27, 2011, 11:58:55 pm »

The reason there is no combat underwater:

You could cast lightning, cold or fire spells underwater, which would be weird.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: November 27, 2011, 11:59:41 pm »

Disable spellcasting underwater then.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2867 on: November 28, 2011, 12:11:35 am »

Disable spellcasting underwater then.
So basically fuck mages.

You wanted to be a mage? Fuck you: Slaughterfish eat mages. Leveled slaughterfish laugh at your feeble dagger skills.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: November 28, 2011, 12:12:50 am »

So in the game with dragons and orcs and daedric gods, underwater combat is canned because underwater magic would be "weird?"
Shoes...

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: November 28, 2011, 12:18:55 am »

I think it has more to do with "hurr durr let's shoot electricity into the water while swimming in it OH GOD I'M ELECTROCUTING TO DEATH".
Or "hurr durr let's shoot fire underwater oh wait water puts out fire"
Or "hurr durr let's shoot ice underwater oh wait the water would melt the ice".
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2870 on: November 28, 2011, 12:23:41 am »

So in the game with dragons and orcs and daedric gods, underwater combat is canned because underwater magic would be "weird?"
More probably because underwater magic would be hard, and the easiest dev decision is to remove it rather than deal with it.

Unrelated: I want to shoot lightning at puddles and kill the people standing in the water.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2871 on: November 28, 2011, 12:25:41 am »

I think it has more to do with "hurr durr let's shoot electricity into the water while swimming in it OH GOD I'M ELECTROCUTING TO DEATH".
Or "hurr durr let's shoot fire underwater oh wait water puts out fire"
Or "hurr durr let's shoot ice underwater oh wait the water would melt the ice".

The electricity and ice ones make sense, but i'dve thought the fireball would be magically sustained until it hits something a little more solid, like, Lydia. It might also be so damned hot it turns the water it's passing through into steam.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: November 28, 2011, 12:30:08 am »

Everyone knows casting a spell is actually transferring your consciousness to an alternate universe where the desired effect is about to take place.  Is it so hard to believe that said alternate universe allows fire underwater?

If you wanted to get creative you could probably mod the game so fire attacks turn into steam.  Ice should be fine, and electricity could be disabled or modified.
Shoes...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: November 28, 2011, 12:32:06 am »

Consitering that I can kill a slaughterfish with a punch I would think even a mage with a dagger would be able to kill one.  But eh.

I also agree that the removing underwater combat seems a bit arbitrary.  I do suppose there would be the combat model issue but I have a hard time believing a team of professional 3D animators couldn't throw together some better than nothing garbage in a workday day or two.   It really seems to limit the possibilities of what they could have done in the water.

Just imagine swimming out to a wreck with your trusty waterbreathing helmet (or trusty argonian gills) beating off slaughterfish and a shark, getting to the ship and killing some big squid that took up residence in the wreck and collecting the loot.  But then you got turned around and accidentally headed farther out to sea on your way back.  And just as you realize your mistake the massive maw of a whale emerges from the murk.  You throw Ice spikes at it while swimming backwards desperate to get to shore, but you are too slow and too far out.  It's first hit knocks you to critical, and before you can open the menu it's second strike causes it's finisher, one lunge forward and a snap of it's jaws and the foolish lost dovakin is never seen again.

P.S. Yes that ending exists just to give Bdthemag nightmares.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:42:49 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: November 28, 2011, 12:46:39 am »

I recently went into a small dungeon with water everywhere, and I was extremely dissapointed that I couldn't use the shock spell to electrocute all of the necromancers running around.

I kind of wish there was more interaction between the environment and the spells you cast.

There is one for fire only.

In some dungeons you can find oil on the ground... you can light them on fire by using a fire spell, fire breath or smashing some lamps.

Here's me BBQ'ing a bunch of skeleton archers with a single fire breath...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: November 28, 2011, 12:50:53 am »

I killed a higher-level draugr with one arrow by shooting one of those lamps above its head yesterday (and shitty archery skill).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: November 28, 2011, 01:19:03 am »

If you can add your own skill trees I want a monk skill tree.

I'm thinking the tree would be hand-shaped, an out-facing palm.  Maybe a fist, maybe, or two crossed fists.  Assuming the palm, 1 being the first available perk, letters representing branches:

1.  Iron Hand - Increases unarmed attack damage, with five ranks.  Just like every other attack tree.  The wrist.
2.  Dragon's Rage - A power/spell (Depending on how it balances in playtesting) that temporarily imbues unarmed attacks with fire damage.  Between pinky and ring finger.
3.  North Wind's Gust - A power/spell that temporarily imbues unarmed attacks with frost damage.  Between ring and middle finger.
4.  Storm Cloud's Strike - A power/spell that temporarily imbues unarmed attacks with shock damage.  Between middle and index finger.
5.  The Reed Endures the Gale - Grants passive damage reduction when wearing only clothing.  Base of the thumb
2a.  Inferno Punch - Attacks during Dragon's Rage have a chance to deal greatly increased fire damage.
3a.  Glacier Grasp - Attacks during North Wind's Gust have a chance to paralyze for one second.  Would have to be a small chance, seeing as paralysis is normally a Master level talent.
4a.  Thunder Clap - Attacks during Storm Cloud's Strike have a chance to stagger the opponent.  Probably a high chance, 30% or so.
5a.  Joyous Warrior - Attacks restore a small amount of health.  The tip of the thumb.
6.  Black Lotus Soul Snatch (Or some equally ridiculous name) - Unarmed power attacks have a chance to instantly kill regardless of health.  If you can make your own animations the animation for this perk's proc should be the 5-point exploding heart technique or maybe some kind of crazy karate chop decapitation, but that's a little gratuitous and doesn't have the dim mak feel this move should have.

The thumb perks are there for defense, obviously.  Since a monk has to get stuck in like a warrior but doesn't get any armor he needs survivability perks.  The hand perks are to make up for the lack of enchanted weapons.  The ultimate perk is there because you have to have some kind of dim mak move.  It's required.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 01:25:52 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: November 28, 2011, 01:24:48 am »

I don't have a problem with the linearity of it, most of the quest lines are pretty linear.

And that is probably my biggest issue with Skyrim. It's supposed to be a non-linear, open world game, yet almost none of the writing seem to be done with that concept in mind. Questwise, it's just walled-in railroads to run down. For example, not only can't I tell the old man what they are doing - I can't even keep doing small jobs for them as the game forces that quest on you.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: November 28, 2011, 01:27:14 am »

I don't have a problem with the linearity of it, most of the quest lines are pretty linear.

And that is probably my biggest issue with Skyrim. It's supposed to be a non-linear, open world game, yet almost none of the writing seem to be done with that concept in mind. Questwise, it's just walled-in railroads to run down. For example, not only can't I tell the old man what they are doing - I can't even keep doing small jobs for them as the game forces that quest on you.

That is because that would take more time.

As I said the game was obviously rushed especially in a few areas (especially when the game "hints" at certain questlines and sections that don't exist).

It is honestly one of the best arguements against the sandbox style of games is that ultimately linear games can be more multidimensional as they can focus strongly in a select few scenarios.

While a REALLY open sandbox has to sacrifice either its focused or its general content.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #2879 on: November 28, 2011, 01:34:03 am »

In some lines thats true, but I cant agree 100% there. Some quest lines have a few options, sometimes they are interesting.

For example,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 896