Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1549957 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #3210 on: December 04, 2011, 12:45:31 am »

So I was rotating some stuff around on the loading screen and I realized, you know what would be a great feature? If you could read your lore books during loading screens. It'd probably best be configurable, because it would up the load times and not everyone cares about Tiber Septim, but it would be really neat during the longer ones.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: December 04, 2011, 01:09:23 am »

Is it sad that I've read a good portion of the Skyrim books, and have been fervently searching in hope for a copy of the Lusty Argonian Maid, Vol II? I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SPEAR

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: December 04, 2011, 01:16:21 am »

I've found volume two. Sadly, it does not say what happened to the spear.

Now I search for volume III.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: December 04, 2011, 01:20:25 am »

Come, pats- I mean lydia, TO HONNINGBREW MEADERY WE TRAVEL THIS NIGHT ON THE QUEST FOR THE HOLY BOOK
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:22:27 am by zehive »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: December 04, 2011, 02:34:22 am »

Funny enough, the Flavour text about the "Common Books" in the Skyrim Official Guide Book reads... 'The Lusty Argonian Maid,v2, one of only three copies of this scandalous work.'
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: December 04, 2011, 02:53:27 am »

I imagine that volume III is the rarest book in the game, guarded by a cult of dragons and worth 180,000 gold.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: December 04, 2011, 02:56:06 am »

I was starting to get bored, so I switched from all-round dual ebony sword wielding mage-warrior-archer to a straight up heroic warrior nord. And let me say this: Dual-wielded weapons > Twohanded weapons. Oh so very much.

Also: How many companions can i have at once? Cos' I have an awesome idea that will require a metric fuckton of dragon armor and every companion in the game. Namely: Taking an army to kill Alduin.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: December 04, 2011, 03:32:07 am »

I was starting to get bored, so I switched from all-round dual ebony sword wielding mage-warrior-archer to a straight up heroic warrior nord. And let me say this: Dual-wielded weapons > Twohanded weapons. Oh so very much.

Also: How many companions can i have at once? Cos' I have an awesome idea that will require a metric fuckton of dragon armor and every companion in the game. Namely: Taking an army to kill Alduin.
Only you alone can travel to kill Alduin. If you haven't beat the game, I won't spoil the ending but dw you won't be alone.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: December 04, 2011, 03:35:24 am »

Only you alone can travel to kill Alduin. If you haven't beat the game, I won't spoil the ending but dw you won't be alone.

Awwww. BTW, being a werewolf is awesome.  :D

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: December 04, 2011, 03:51:10 am »

I think I'm going to miss persistent dragon corpses, they were annoying sometimes, but also rather funny. One time, I went to a village where I had happened to kill a dragon, leaving a corpse. When I arrived, I started walking towards the center of the village, when suddenly a dragon skull started writhing from underneath the ground, previously "buried". The dragon skeleton seemed to tunnel out of the ground, making me realize how awesome some sort of tunneling enemy would be, but then I realized it was just a glitch and laughed  :D

If you're on a pc you can disable them, by pressing tilde (~), selecting the corpse and writing disable (duh?), then pressing enter. Ta-da!

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: December 04, 2011, 05:33:52 am »

Well, I have put a lot of time into Skyrim and am about ready to give it up.

I first called my friend to ask about level scaling. He told me that there was none. What game was he playing?

This game is as egregious as Oblivion, which I quit playing because everything seemed the same. Everything is level scaled in Skyrim. I killed a dragon at level 2. They are just as difficult now that I am at level 38. I raided dungeons at the beginning of the game. Every dungeons difficulty is the exact same relative to my level. True, they threw in a few creatures that don't level. Apparently that tricked some. To get around level scaling, they just changed the name of the creatures. I don't get regularly bandits any more; now I get bandit plunderers. What happened to all of the regular bandits in the world.

I agree with others on the dragons. They should be rare and awesome. Instead they are common and annoying.

It seems like whatever I do really has no impact on the game world. Great, the Stormcloaks win. Nothing changes except now you just have different looking rulers. It's like they went mmorpg on us. Nothing impacts anything although they pretend that the littlest things impact everything.

Why am I serving these creeps? I would become a better king than any of the people around. I did all of their fighting. Why don't I just rule?

It's a beautiful game. It's fun for a while. But it seems like what I do really doesn't matter. I really feel limited in this game. It's like they keep taking steps backwards. I guess I need to rebuy Morrowind (can't find my copy) and enjoy it again.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: December 04, 2011, 05:48:16 am »

Well, I have put a lot of time into Skyrim and am about ready to give it up.

I first called my friend to ask about level scaling. He told me that there was none. What game was he playing?

This game is as egregious as Oblivion, which I quit playing because everything seemed the same. Everything is level scaled in Skyrim. I killed a dragon at level 2. They are just as difficult now that I am at level 38. I raided dungeons at the beginning of the game. Every dungeons difficulty is the exact same relative to my level. True, they threw in a few creatures that don't level. Apparently that tricked some. To get around level scaling, they just changed the name of the creatures. I don't get regularly bandits any more; now I get bandit plunderers. What happened to all of the regular bandits in the world.

I agree with others on the dragons. They should be rare and awesome. Instead they are common and annoying.

Why am I serving these creeps? I would become a better king than any of the people around. I did all of their fighting. Why don't I just rule?

It's a beautiful game. It's fun for a while. But it seems like what I do really doesn't matter. I really feel limited in this game. It's like they keep taking steps backwards. I guess I need to rebuy Morrowind (can't find my copy) and enjoy it again.

I don't know what are you talking about. Sure, it has it's problems, but I am 42nd level and I am able to kill everything with ease, every bloody dragon. And dragons change. The named ones, for instance, have a set power, and the first one is IIRC weaker than the generic dragon, after whom you'll get blood dragons (again stronger), then elder and at last ancient dragons. They're not the same dragons, therefore they are not leveled. Stuff doesn't level with you, you just start getting stronger enemies. The bandits stay that way, you get a few more draugr scourges and deathlords (who at 42nd level are weak ayeways) etc. It's fine most of the time.

What I don't like is that daedric and glass stuff are makeable (or easy to come by) instead of being rare as f**k. Also I sometimes with there was some uber boss to kill at every end of the dungeon, because, come on, death lords? Two power attacks or one sneak attack.

It seems like whatever I do really has no impact on the game world. Great, the Stormcloaks win. Nothing changes except now you just have different looking rulers. It's like they went mmorpg on us. Nothing impacts anything although they pretend that the littlest things impact everything.

It is because the civil war hasn't ended yet. They've retaken Skyrim, but the Empire might retaliate, and that's why there are no major changes - they are preparing for war. Now tell me if much changed when you completed any of the questlines in Morrowind?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:51:26 am by Domenique »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: December 04, 2011, 05:53:05 am »

...Ehr, Dom, putting a "cave" before the "monkey" does not make it any less levelled when the instance is drawn from a levelled list and painted upon a template, and which one you get depends on what level you are.
Love, scriver~

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: December 04, 2011, 05:58:30 am »

It is because the civil war hasn't ended yet. They've retaken Skyrim, but the Empire might retaliate, and that's why there are no major changes - they are preparing for war. Now tell me if much changed when you completed any of the questlines in Morrowind?

You're right. Way to convince to not get back into Morrowind.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: December 04, 2011, 06:03:16 am »

I don't know what are you talking about. Sure, it has it's problems, but I am 42nd level and I am able to kill everything with ease, every bloody dragon. And dragons change. The named ones, for instance, have a set power, and the first one is IIRC weaker than the generic dragon, after whom you'll get blood dragons (again stronger), then elder and at last ancient dragons. They're not the same dragons, therefore they are not leveled. Stuff doesn't level with you, you just start getting stronger enemies. The bandits stay that way, you get a few more draugr scourges and deathlords (who at 42nd level are weak ayeways) etc. It's fine most of the time.

So if the characters you can't encounter at a lower level are the same as those characters except with different names, then it is not leveling? That is just leveling with a disguise. It wouldn't be leveling if those characters were around and could kick your butt at the lower levels. Getting stronger enemies as you level rather than having them level with you is the exact same thing as leveling. Just because they changed the name and the sprite doesn't mean that it's not a leveled bandit, dragon, dragur, etc.

And it's not fine any of the time. It ruined the immersion for me.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 896