Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550172 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #5040 on: February 10, 2012, 04:20:08 pm »

That is one thing I like about Bethesda games: If I don't like something about the balance, then I can change it around to my liking. Or someone else (See: 30 people) have done mods that do so.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: February 10, 2012, 04:28:25 pm »

Skyrim is pretty well balanced, all in all.
I don't think so. I'm not just talking about Skyrim. TES series is always easily exploitable and unbalanced. Modders usually make balance mods and adjust things as they see fit.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5042 on: February 10, 2012, 04:31:28 pm »

I don't really consider balance in a single-player game that important. Then again I think the whole point of levels in an open world RPG is so you can go to places you you got slaughtered in at early levels and one-hit everything there. It's something both Oblivion and Skyrim both lack, though Skyrim's isn't so bad...Apparently the mainstream disagrees with me, but whatever a mod will fix it eventually xD

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: February 10, 2012, 04:48:38 pm »

Necromancy is always fun too, especially if you do the College of Winterhold questline and get the ability to summon permanant thralls.

Wait, huh, what?  I'm the Archmage of the College, and I haven't heard anything about this!  WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: February 10, 2012, 04:49:35 pm »

Get 90 conjuration and talk to the Conjuration teacher, he has a quest then sells you the spell to summon permanant atronachs and undead thralls.
*Hugs*

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: February 10, 2012, 04:50:20 pm »

I don't think so. I'm not just talking about Skyrim. TES series is always easily exploitable and unbalanced. Modders usually make balance mods and adjust things as they see fit.

I never understood why people care so much about balance anyway. It's a singleplayer game, so why care. I'm just going for style/fun.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: February 10, 2012, 04:55:46 pm »

I never understood why people care so much about balance anyway. It's a singleplayer game, so why care. I'm just going for style/fun.
Because it's really annoying to have a high value in {skill} only to find out that not only is it now useless because it doesn't scale well, it actively hurts you (eg. having 100 lockpicking+speechcraft would screw you over since it would raise your level by 10 without increasing your stats).
Or in Oblivion how a bunch of the skills were completely useless and screw you over if you put them into your primary skills and they go up a lot (I am looking at you athletics and acrobatics).
And these are a lot more annoying if you are playing on a console where you can't just use mods to balance the game.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: February 10, 2012, 05:09:19 pm »

Because it's really annoying to have a high value in {skill} only to find out that not only is it now useless because it doesn't scale well, it actively hurts you (eg. having 100 lockpicking+speechcraft would screw you over since it would raise your level by 10 without increasing your stats).
Or in Oblivion how a bunch of the skills were completely useless and screw you over if you put them into your primary skills and they go up a lot (I am looking at you athletics and acrobatics).
And these are a lot more annoying if you are playing on a console where you can't just use mods to balance the game.
Exactly.

If a game is only singleplayer, that doesn't justify that game's unbalanceness.

It's not just skills. Money is virtually worthless.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: February 10, 2012, 05:25:18 pm »

I don't really consider balance in a single-player game that important. Then again I think the whole point of levels in an open world RPG is so you can go to places you you got slaughtered in at early levels and one-hit everything there. It's something both Oblivion and Skyrim both lack, though Skyrim's isn't so bad...Apparently the mainstream disagrees with me, but whatever a mod will fix it eventually xD
Then why does levelling up still give the previously scrappy bandits elven armor? Sneaking is also so broken that I feel like I'm playing with the 100% Chameleon enchantment exploit most of the time.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: February 10, 2012, 05:33:52 pm »

Then why does levelling up still give the previously scrappy bandits elven armor? Sneaking is also so broken that I feel like I'm playing with the 100% Chameleon enchantment exploit most of the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5_O4u1F9As&feature=related

Start watching this from 3:55 and experience the broken sneaking :P

I consider balance in single-player games important because I try to do my best while playing to enjoy the game. I can't play a game with a crapload of self-imposed rules. I want the game to be a challenge for me. Making a single-player game is no excuse to make an unbalanced and broken game.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: February 10, 2012, 07:00:54 pm »

The skills and so forth isn't what I meant by 'balance'. I should've made it clearer, but I made that last post on my phone whilst I was sitting on the toilet and thus my capacity for verbosity was compromised. The game's balance goes beyond the mathematics of levelling up; things like details have to be balanced, story elements have to be balanced, NPC voices have to be balanced, loot and quest rewards have to be balanced. It all has to be balanced.

Consider this; did you think Black Reach was awesome? Yes, you did, and that's because the awesome has to be balanced. You have to have different types of awesome in the game, and not too much of it, otherwise nothing would stand out; the game has to be filled up with boring (but still pretty) clutter in just the right amounts. If you put too much awesome into the game, it just becomes weird.

The NPC dialogue in the game has been balanced. They've managed to put the bare minimum of unique dialogue into the game but balanced it well enough that it isn't too irritating.

Yes, of course, some aspects of the game are 'broken' in the sense that the right combination of skills and equipment make you a nigh-invulnerable killing machine. You have to put that in an RPG. Hell, for most of us, working out how to break the game is the game. It's possible for a game to be too balanced, which makes it dreadful. If a single-player RPG is too balanced, then all paths of character progression become equal; in which case, there's no point in having any customisation of character progression at all.

This is why I rarely play mods; most mods add new  features that unbalance the game. DLCs and add-on packs also have the same effect. Don't get me wrong, mods can be fun, but if you add, say, twenty unrelated mods to the game (not including graphical overhaul mods, bugfixes, UI mods, etc.) you end up with a frankly bizarre game, one that I find it difficult to play. The thing is, you can tolerate a bunch of different disjointed mods because you installed them. If the developer adds twenty or thirty random things to the game just because they're cool, the game doesn't knit together so well and you end up with a profoundly weird title, one that people won't be as bothered to mod.

I don't think people give Skyrim enough credit. In most respects, they learnt and applied a lot of lessons from their previous mistakes, and yet made relatively few new ones. I think the game is balanced in most respects, and all the elements come together well. I'm completely happy with the amount of content in the game. The next game will have a lot to live up to.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: February 10, 2012, 07:22:02 pm »

Having soo much fun right now with my Mage character with the Difficulty ramped up to 11. Found a DragonScale Helm inside Bleakfall Barrows, gotta get a safestorage chest or something to keep it cause I don't have the house yet. Adding Cutthroat Merchants to the mix makes it REALLY hard to earn some cash cause even Ebony Weapons get me like 50g at the max. So this Unlevelled and such world where I am getting Deathlords with Ebony gear at level 6 isn't turning my game into the cash flow it would have been in Vanilla. Adding a mod for a Storage Chest in every Inn. Already lost some good shit from forgetting that barrels respawn really fast... T_T

EDIT:: Ok this is annoying, dispite not really needing a weapon due to playing a Mage, The Axe of Whiterun is not generating for me...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:47:44 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: February 11, 2012, 01:04:33 am »

I wonder if they plan to use VATS for a future (or currently in development) project.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: February 11, 2012, 03:36:08 am »

Speaking of *ahem* mods... apparently Steam has gotten mod-friendly all of a sudden.  I can install Skyrim mods right through the client, within seconds of starting up Skyrim.  Pretty neat.  I installed the Midas spell pack.  Turns out it's a ton of work to access all the spells added... the only one I picked up so far is pretty much a FOS RO DA that costs manna.  Pretty fun Alteration spell, but my character has no perks in Alteration, so can cast it three times at most.  Also does practically no damage.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: February 11, 2012, 04:42:15 am »

Speaking of *ahem* mods... apparently Steam has gotten mod-friendly all of a sudden.  I can install Skyrim mods right through the client, within seconds of starting up Skyrim.  Pretty neat.  I installed the Midas spell pack.  Turns out it's a ton of work to access all the spells added... the only one I picked up so far is pretty much a FOS RO DA that costs manna.  Pretty fun Alteration spell, but my character has no perks in Alteration, so can cast it three times at most.  Also does practically no damage.

...you didn't know about this? It's been big news since late last year >_>

Also, Steam has had mods for source engine games around since, like, 2009
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 896