Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1549989 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #5640 on: March 22, 2012, 06:26:32 pm »

They only really have one "normal medieval" province left, and that's High Rock. All the other choices stray from that. Elf provinces, which from what we've seen can have some interesting culture. Daggerfall, as the Redguard hail from an entirely different continent and from what little we've seen of them, could have a fairly different culture. Then yeah, then there's the beast races.

The Redguard inhabit Hammerfell. Daggerfall is actually the capital of High Rock.

TES Adventures: Redguard featured Yokuda (the Redguard home continent) a bit, IIRC, so that shows off the culture some.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: March 22, 2012, 08:09:09 pm »

I heard somewhere that in prior games the hint for the next game's plot would be hidden in a small line of dialogue. Like the ravings of a mad man or something?
It's official! We're off to Elsweyr!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: March 23, 2012, 12:15:13 am »

When people live in Elsweyr, do they actually say they live Heyr?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: March 23, 2012, 02:38:16 am »

When people live in Elsweyr, do they actually say they live Heyr?

Not all the time. Sometimes they say they live Theyr.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: March 23, 2012, 04:28:22 am »

I don't think most complaints about later Elder Scrolls entries are due to blind nostalgia and wilfully ignoring the weak points of the old games.

The series definitely went from ambitious but broken towards mainstream accessibility. This is neither a good nor a bad thing... but to players who prefer the former (like me) it's a disappointment. Also, if scope and depth are sacrificed I expect polish.
Oblivion and Skyrim are nowhere near as rough as Daggerfall was, but they still feel disjointed. Some areas are tight and atmospheric, others feel like filler. And there are still lots and lots of immersion-breaking quirks that spoil the mood in the otherwise well-done areas.

It feels as if Bethesda was still trying (and often failing) to tame the awesome monster that Daggerfall was and discarding what made it great in the process, rather than setting out to make a civilized game that can be polished to perfection.
Of course, if they decided to throw out the old baggage because they aren't as interested in huge open-ended worlds  any more it wouldn't have the typical Elder Scrolls feel any more - also risky.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: March 23, 2012, 05:51:21 am »

TES Adventures: Redguard featured Yokuda (the Redguard home continent) a bit, IIRC, so that shows off the culture some.

Actually it was set in Stros M'Kai, which is an entirely different island. But yes, it did show off Redguard culture some. Also dwemer.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: March 23, 2012, 07:41:29 am »

I heard somewhere that in prior games the hint for the next game's plot would be hidden in a small line of dialogue. Like the ravings of a mad man or something?
It's official! We're off to Elsweyr!

I'm pretty sure that in Oblivion, they kept hinting that the High Elves were gathering their strength, and were planning some military action. It's a vague hint at the destabilization of the empire, but I don't think it ever explicitly mentions Skyrim.

Still, they DID hint at a new conflict brewing in Elseweyr in one of the books in Skyrim, which might be a clue. If I recall, at the time of Skyrim the Khajiit of Elseweyr are having a civil war, fueled by the Aldmeri Dominion. Elseweyr was polarized into two nations, one still married to the ways of the broken empire, and a smaller Khajiit nationalist faction (possibly under a new Mane), and backed by the Dominion. Old lore details some conflict between the Bosmer and Khajiit too, in the jungles.

I could really dig something with a fantasy hybrid Persian/Turkic/Aztec feel if done well, featuring warring desert city-states, and traditionalist jungle cities with their Moon worship. Could be a really neat setting!

EDIT: It's kinda topical too, if they marry it to the cultural divisiveness of the Middle East, and the whole occupation thing. Not sure how I'd feel about that, but I could see it being a potential direction, considering how factitious the region has been, culturally and militarily, through history.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:51:23 am by Solifuge »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #5647 on: March 23, 2012, 11:54:09 am »

If they choose Elsweyr for the next game I will be shocked, amazed, and delighted. Putting the graphical merits of Skyrim to to work on a setting worth examining with the streamlined combat might make that the best game in the series. Now, if only they would get Obsidian to write it.

I don't think it'll happen though. Sordid mentioned that the Dunmer culture was initially repellent, the Khajit are several times moreso. It would be a love letter to the diehard fans, but with the way things have been progressing it would also wreck their business model. Morrowind has always been kind of the odd man out when it comes to settings in the series, generally they've shown a preference for generic fantasy. Who knows, though. If TESVI gives us the ability to run around Senchal I will be a giddy giddy boy.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: March 23, 2012, 12:12:05 pm »

It would be fun to see how they justify why Khajiit suddenly went from over a dozen different breeds to just one, though. Maybe Talos thought they were too many?
Love, scriver~

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: March 23, 2012, 12:26:30 pm »

Maybe all the Kajiit breed become the different playable races? It would definitely be a lot easier to make the plot make sense that way.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5650 on: March 23, 2012, 12:52:03 pm »

Obviously the Dovhakiin domesticated one breed and exterminated the rest. Duh

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: March 23, 2012, 12:54:13 pm »

They all interbreedincested and are all albino's.

Obviously.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: March 23, 2012, 03:14:04 pm »

I just hope for better writing less simplification.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5653 on: March 23, 2012, 03:29:22 pm »

My favorite part of the main quest is the peace negotiations. I really felt like I could direct the story somewhat. Is it possible to "fail" that negotiation and have to end the war manually?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: March 23, 2012, 04:29:54 pm »

Honestly I thought the courtroom scene in Neverwinter Nights 2 was more entertaining to play, especially since NW2 had stat checks for Charisma and Intelligence and if you did your homework (i.e. did the sidequests relating to the courtroom and gathered enough witnesses) then things would go your way.  Until the end of course when the prosecutor went "I DEMAND TRIAL BY COMBAT" and none of it mattered.  But still.  In Skyrim, you sat in a chair and chose dialogue options with a lot of ways to lose.
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 896