Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558941 times)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #6105 on: May 16, 2012, 01:05:19 pm »

We finally have technology to such a level that we can make MMOs that can actually involve things like manual targeted attacks and dodging, and that's what you have to do to compete in the MMO market.

TOR should be the last 'big' hot key wow-style MMO.

Actually I don't think we do, since MMOs are about a lot of people playing on one server and real-time combat would be extremely lagy, unless everyone suddenly got a fast connection and the servers were stolen from NASA (I'm old).

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: May 16, 2012, 01:11:49 pm »

I dunno, Fallen Earth has real time combat like described, with extra damage for headshots to boot.
*Hugs*

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: May 16, 2012, 01:14:44 pm »

Real time combat was implemented in Fallen Earth; it's not inconceivable that they could implement a Skyrim-esque version, rather than the ridiculously dated tab target with dice rolls. Although it was more along the lines of hitscan than true "arrow in flight" combat.

Sure, it'd be more work for the server, but this is a tried and true Elder Scrolls game. They have the resources to do it, it's just a matter of not wanting to.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: May 16, 2012, 01:21:47 pm »

I personally am indifferent to TES:O, to me Elder Scrolls was always about being alone in some wonderful (or bland) place.

By the way, when installing ACE, what happens to the points already invested in perk trees?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: May 16, 2012, 01:43:56 pm »

What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: May 16, 2012, 02:34:10 pm »

There still that Skyrim mod that let you play with people not sure if there still working on it or not. The one for Oblivion was pretty bad though.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: May 16, 2012, 06:46:56 pm »

So I hadn't heard of The Elder Scrolls Online until I read this www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_online/b/pc/archive/2012/05/16/elder-scrolls-online-faction-profile-aldmeri-dominion.aspx
“The name says it all. The Aldmeri Dominion wants to dominate the world. They plan on taking over the world. Submit or die,” explains game director Matt Firor. “The Aldmeri Dominion is like, ‘we’re going to kill everyone that isn’t us. You people are going to help us or else.’”
Such quality writers I'll be baffled if this game is somehow terrible. 

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: May 16, 2012, 06:53:39 pm »

So I hadn't heard of The Elder Scrolls Online until I read this www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_online/b/pc/archive/2012/05/16/elder-scrolls-online-faction-profile-aldmeri-dominion.aspx
“The name says it all. The Aldmeri Dominion wants to dominate the world. They plan on taking over the world. Submit or die,” explains game director Matt Firor. “The Aldmeri Dominion is like, ‘we’re going to kill everyone that isn’t us. You people are going to help us or else.’”
Such quality writers I'll be baffled if this game is somehow terrible.

This commenter summarized it pretty well amidst the fanboyism:
Okay, thanks for telling us nothing about the alliance. But well done copy/pasting from the Pocket Guide to the Empire.

I really love how the developers of this game approach difficult lore! I mean, why bother trying to incorporate the beautiful idea of a massive tree city walking through a forest, when you can just say something vague like "mysteriously, the great tree has stopped moving due to unknown and presumably nefarious causes"? Why bother allowing for a rich and player-driven faction system, when you can just break established lore by shoving races who hate each other into alliances? Just because you mention that they are "unlikely alliances" does not make it okay! That's not a reason for the Bretons to stop killing the Orcs! It's not a reason for the Argonians to suddenly be all buddy-buddy with the Dunmer who ENSLAVE them.

The worrying thing is, a game's first reveal is supposed to be designed to wow and amaze the target audience. You open up with a great hand to show. Everything I've seen and heard from TES Online seems to spit in the face of players who truly love TES lore, and from an MMO perspective it sounds as though it's offering nothing new and is just making excuses about the technical limitations of the genre as to WHY it isn't doing anything new. This is truly shocking.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: May 17, 2012, 11:06:56 pm »

I'm starting to think ACE might be a little bit broken in places. As a longbow/greatsword user I get 50% (!) stagger chance with arrows plus bleed damage and my melee attacks have a chance to paralyze, resulting in anything between a free hit and five or six free hits. The game definitely feels vastly easier between getting those perks and an equipment upgrade.

Another typical "procedural" moment: Talking to Perth after completing the Soljund's Sinkhole quest, a passing Blood Dragon decides to eavesdrop by landing directly behind him. Later in the fight, a courier arrives, freaks out upon seeing the dragon, decides to stop freaking out, hands me his message, decides to freak out again, and then just stands in the middle of a field doing nothing. Meanwhile, the dragon can't find a suitable place to crash-land so it does the logical thing and just flies off into the sunset despite its wings supposedly being shot to hell. Chances are by the time I find it again its mound'll have reset and there'll be two of them.

Also the game went a bit crazy and spawned three dragons directly in front of me in Solitude.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: May 17, 2012, 11:37:48 pm »

Has anyone else noticed the rather schizophrenic properties of Skyrim's few "Destructible" items? The pointy stick barricades seem to collapse properly most of the time, but occasionally you find one or two that -Despite the best efforts of a Master Two-hander- completely fail to even be nicked.

More importantly, and the reason that I decided to make this post, are the windmills. What the hell is up with them? Some, like the Loreius farm, you can destroy the actual grindstone assembly beneath (Mind you, it doesn't fall apart or anything, it just disappears after you've dealt it enough damage.), but the noise will keep going as if it's grinding. In other farms, like Battle Born farm, a steady stream of fire magic will merely stop the millstone from attempting to give you an activate option (though nothing happens even if you activate it with the option), but the mill assembly won't disappear or be destroyed.

They obviously gave some thought to destructible objects, since they exist in the vanilla gameworld, but why apply it solidly to only one thing that is fairly useless to destroy, and apply it to another object in the most bugged and half-ass way possible?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #6116 on: May 18, 2012, 11:58:39 am »

It was probably considered so low a priority bug reported so rarely by testers that the other problems got placed way above it in terms of what needs fixing, and they just never got around to it in time. Such is the way with large-scale mainstream development.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: May 18, 2012, 12:21:34 pm »

Yeah, they obviously planned for more destructibility but gave up after implementing a few destructible items. Out of all the things that didn't get implemented into Skyrim, it's not that big a deal. Destructible doors sure would have been awesome though.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: May 18, 2012, 01:28:57 pm »

They obviously gave some thought to destructible objects, since they exist in the vanilla gameworld, but why apply it solidly to only one thing that is fairly useless to destroy, and apply it to another object in the most bugged and half-ass way possible?

Because 11/11/11?
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: May 18, 2012, 02:10:08 pm »

Because 11/11/11?

Eh, True. I might not like their recent turn in DRM, but I've got to give blizzard credit for the IT'S DONE WHEN IT'S DONE DAMNIT! mentality. Hard and fast deadlines... they invite features to the chopping block.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 896