Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558257 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #6465 on: June 30, 2012, 10:16:46 pm »

Usually, and I quote, the argument part is stated "This world has X fantastic element, so Realism is thrown out the window."

I was more going for "The following thing from reality is not true in this world, the implications of this change are vast enough for radically different outcomes than what can be expected in reality" :P

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: June 30, 2012, 10:18:35 pm »

Just as no one makes the argument that "This is a fantasy world. You have no right to complain about inconsistency, even if purple elephants suddenly appear from the inside of bananas." Very tired of that one, I am. That would only be allowed in TES if Sheogorath was involved somehow.

The argument isn't so much that it's a ka-razy world so much as who is to say this is inconsistent?

Usually, and I quote, the argument part is stated "This world has X fantastic element, so Realism is thrown out the window."

BoT: This vampire clan likely has some sort of plan, though. Certainly turning off the sun would screw with the world a lot, likely pissing off Kynareth greatly. I read somewhere that all the energy of Nirn flows in through the sun and stars.

Only the magical energies. And the sun is a hole to Aetherius, not Oblivion.

There is also mention in Oblivion (the game) and some books of a year in the second or first era (can't remember) when Red Mountain erupted and the ashes blocked the sun for a year. No idea how it'd work with most plants and how they survived.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: June 30, 2012, 10:21:45 pm »

Remember that everyone says that it was a very bad year. Also note that surface plants generally do not grow where there is no sunlight, so there must be some connection.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: June 30, 2012, 11:34:28 pm »

So, I got myself a new computer that can run Skyrim pretty darned well, but there's one problem. After an hour or less of gameplay, it started to crash. Well, maybe crash isn't the word. It just closes. About every 5 minutes after I start playing, the game closes. It seems that a lot of other people are having this problem, and the cause of it seems to be the limited amount of RAM the game uses. Didn't Bethesda fix that? How am I to enjoy the game if I have to launch it again after making no progress at all? I'd like to actually make use of my beefy computer. How do you fix this?

The RAM thing was fixed.
You have it on Steam? Try forcing an update.

Seeing as I just downloaded it yesterday onto my new computer, I'd guess it does have that update. But because any suggestion that isn't completely insane is appreciated, how do I force an update?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: July 01, 2012, 01:04:08 am »

Well, maybe crash isn't the word. It just closes. About every 5 minutes after I start playing, the game closes.
Seeing as I just downloaded it yesterday onto my new computer, I'd guess it does have that update. But because any suggestion that isn't completely insane is appreciated, how do I force an update?
I'm having this problem too after I updated, complete CTD with no dialogue boxes to say what's wrong.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: July 01, 2012, 01:13:49 pm »

So, I'm using one of the older ATI graphics cards that had artifacts in Skyrim with the Catalyst 12.4 drivers and had to get the 12.4b hotfix. Now that Catalyst 12.6 is out, can anyone verify that it works for people with those cards?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: July 01, 2012, 01:26:04 pm »

Getting some weird artifacts with Canis root lately. The plant appears as a several great big graph planes trying to warp around and intersect  each other. Now I know what R'lyeh looks like.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: July 01, 2012, 01:31:14 pm »

Well, maybe crash isn't the word. It just closes. About every 5 minutes after I start playing, the game closes.
I'm having this problem too after I updated, complete CTD with no dialogue boxes to say what's wrong.

I can only say "Hallelujah for the 360 edition," which I think froze once through my entire playthrough (which I finished a few days ago).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: July 01, 2012, 01:35:57 pm »

Played this on Ultra computer, now can't stand to look at it on Xbox at my friend's place. It's like if you drink punch then try to drink orange juice, but the OJ tastes bland until you get the taste out of your mouth. There's no going back.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: July 01, 2012, 01:37:05 pm »

Yeah, I'd trade up for the PC version any second, slightly more instability be damned :P
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6475 on: July 01, 2012, 01:39:31 pm »

Yeah, I'd trade up for the PC version any second, slightly more instability be damned :P
This.

The game I'm playing now has almost nothing in common with vanilla skyrim beyond the world and lore. Combat mechanics, spells, everything is redone to be much better. Several mods increase the graphical performance so that it actually takes advantage of the equipment in my PC which is ridiculously  overpowered compared to the console specs the game was built for. (But really almost any PC is these days)

There are new companions, new quests, entire new story arcs. Hell I can even design and build my own house.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: July 01, 2012, 01:40:36 pm »

Unfortunately, my PC sucks, so the Xbox version is my only recourse.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6477 on: July 01, 2012, 01:41:27 pm »

Unfortunately, my PC sucks, so the Xbox version is my only recourse.
:(

Sorry to hear that. I don't think I've plugged my 360 in for over a year and a half. The PS3 only gets used to stream movies now...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: July 01, 2012, 01:46:04 pm »

Eh, I can live without mods. It's a fun game if you ignore the quests and just wander the landscape picking flowers and plying your trade as a humble alchemist to villages.
*Hugs*

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: July 01, 2012, 01:52:36 pm »

Let's just hope they figure out how to get mods working on the 360. (They actually do, even in oblivion, but you need a dev box)
They said somewhere that they're trying to figure it out.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 896