Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559046 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #7335 on: November 03, 2012, 11:08:05 pm »

???  alchemy is capable of beating Dagoth Ur at lvl 1.

alchemy is a huge cash in both.

alchemy can make potions stronger than.blows, leveled and perked respectively.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: November 03, 2012, 11:19:37 pm »

???  alchemy is capable of beating Dagoth Ur at lvl 1.

alchemy is a huge cash in both.

alchemy can make potions stronger than.blows, leveled and perked respectively.
Yeah you make potion that let you make better potions, etc, etc......you win
You can do that in skyrim as well then when you have super high alchemy you make a potion for smiting now you have iron armor that get to the armor cap.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:54:07 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: November 04, 2012, 03:26:21 am »

I actually found Morrowinds combat system, whilst not technically the best, the most satisfying in a lot of ways. Whilst in Oblivion and still somewhat (though less so) in Skyrim, it felt like the numbers meant fuck all, in Morrowind the numbers had a very tangible effect: If you're character was shit at the skill, they'd hit jack shit with those weapons. You actually felt like a common smuch desperately flailing a dagger around in the vain hope of actually hitting something. And when you got your skill up and started reliably connecting your hits, damn it felt like an accomplishment.

I'm the opposite.  I want my input through the controls to be more important than the numbers.  The numbers should make it difficult to venture out of depth, but the dynamics of a real-time first or third person adventure gameplay system should make be what make it possible.  My everlasting gripe is that the dynamics in combat don't have enough depth to outweigh numbers to the degree that I'd like.  Even with mods, you have to do some silly things to make it anything more than straight trading blows.

Give me Mount & Blade's melee combat in Skyrim, and I'd be ecstatic.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: November 04, 2012, 05:43:02 am »

I never use alchemy, its just too broken a system to save, eat a mountain of moonsugar go running off nearest mountain and die, though lots was broken in morrowind as well; the stealth and combat systems, quests that gave you nothing in the way of direction to finding anything besides "go look around, over there", falling through sections of floor only to die or land in the global water level, leveling was broken but its still broken in skyrim as well (lvl 81), scathcrows.

I'm not saying morrowind is better or skyrim or oblivion, I'm saying parts of them are better and parts of them are shit.

Give me a frankenstien of all three game systems in skyrim and I'd not be able to stop playing.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: November 04, 2012, 05:53:03 am »

I agree with SalmonGod (Except for the Mount & Blade part, simply because I have not played the game). Plus the combat in Oblivion/Skyrim "feels" better, the games did a good job at giving the weapons the feeling of real weight as opposed to Morrowind's foam weapons. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Morrowind. Just not really for the combat (I do miss all the different types and varieties of armours in Morrowind though).

It would be nice if the enemies would have some more "I got hit" animations though as opposed to only the occassional stagger animation. Sometimes it felt like you were hitting a strawman or something, where no animation whatsoever would play if you hit them.

One way to make it feel like you were clumsy with a weapon (and avoid merely "rolling" low hit probabilities) is give the game different animations for level of skill. So if you were hopeless with a sword the animation would be of a pretty terrable attempt to swing it. Or perhaps pulling back the string on a bow could make your hands shake under the load, reducing accuracy. Something which would make the difference between a hit/miss seem more fuzzy instead of just hit: yes or no.

Oblivion/Skyrim both rank high on my imaginary list of best-combat-in-RPG's.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: November 04, 2012, 06:10:46 am »

There are mods to get parts of armor, they never cover the whole vanilla array, but its nice to see greaves and pandulons... spaulders... that thing.

I also saw weapons and armor mods that are like ports from the old games... though I think the lvled list broke my bandits (turned them into sushi machines on me) weapons of the 3rd era, and morrowind armor... good but they dont play nice with other mods, like capes or each other or anything that modifies npcs.

Also I'm working on making sotha sil out of about 6 different mods, hard to mod when not able to make meshes.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: November 04, 2012, 06:27:13 am »

I liked Morrowind's habit of having nice armour and weapons lying around in out of the way places and within dungeons, like the great houses vaults. Having items guarenteed to be in a certain location appeals to me as it encourages me to explore with tangible reward. Skyrim and Oblivion don't really do that as all the weapons are armour are either leveled or not very good to begin with (Breaking into that master locked display cabinet only to find a cheap replica weapon, or the case I dislike the most being Umbra's armour in Oblivion as it was all leveled despite being ebony armour).

However, I much prefer Oblivion and Skyrims combat system, as Morrowinds was kind of a hold over from Daggerfall. Swinging, only to miss got frustrating, also discouraged me from using bows as I couldn't tell if I was hitting the enemy in the first place.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7342 on: November 04, 2012, 06:32:13 am »

Daggerfall rarely has you miss when swinging, generally, if you're pointing at your enemy, you hit it. For some reason they decided that they didn't need that in Morrowind.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: November 04, 2012, 06:46:53 am »

I read a while ago that all the missing was a number error and they just never corrected it... I dislike bows, its a holdover from morrowind, even if they dont suck in skyrim, I still dont use them by habit of play.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: November 04, 2012, 07:03:27 am »

Yeah, nothing more fun than firing your entire stock of arrows at that world spanning terror that's literally filling your entire viewscreen, and still only hitting it once :P
My cabbages!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: November 04, 2012, 07:05:31 am »

I prefered Morrowind's combat, because the length of combat didn't escalate the way it did in later TES games. It actually became quicker as you became more powerful. And that's good, because as you became tired of the combat system, the fights took up less time, barring fights with more difficult/important opponents. Not to mention it was closest to being an actual RPG rather than Action RPG. Oblivion and Skyrim (but mostly Oblivion) really fucked up by giving ridiculous amounts of health to scale opponents to your level. Any kind of repetition gets boring with time. Common sense dictates to progressively lower the amount of repetition. Not fucking increase it.

Daggerfall rarely has you miss when swinging, generally, if you're pointing at your enemy, you hit it. For some reason they decided that they didn't need that in Morrowind.
When's the last time you've played it? There definitely was a lot of missing involved.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: November 04, 2012, 07:06:25 am »

About 2 hours ago? It's possible it's a patch I have, and I won't claim that every shot hits, but to me at least it seems like you hit much more often than in Morrowind, at least at the early levels.
My cabbages!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7347 on: November 04, 2012, 07:12:31 am »

The effect is the same, generally. In Skyrim you may hit every time but you do little damage and you are easily blocked when at low weapon skill.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7348 on: November 04, 2012, 07:15:14 am »

Spoiler: But does it stun? (click to show/hide)
My cabbages!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7349 on: November 04, 2012, 07:19:07 am »

Spoiler: But does it stun? (click to show/hide)
Power attacks and shield bashes can stun, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 896