Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559227 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8370 on: February 21, 2013, 01:43:06 pm »

Wait wait wait wait wait...

You can find Cicero? Just walking around with his "box"? Where on earth did you find him?
Yeah, he's just walking around freaking out about the broken wheel and being generally offputting when you talk to him. When you try to convince the farmer to fix the wagon he's creeped out and worried that the coffin is filled with weapons or skooma. Might be a random encounter like the Liar It's a mini-quest so it would have been a set location. It was near a farm starting with L and a Giant Camp.
its west of Whiterun thats as much i know

After a certain point into the Dark Brotherhood quest tough, he cannot be found there.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8371 on: February 21, 2013, 03:41:46 pm »

That still looks a bit lightly dressed for the climate, but it's at least 80% more practical. Looks nice too!

Well, the armor is actually meant for a Vampire character...so it isn't really meant to be fully covered. But, thanks :) It is a huge improvement from what I was using before.

Here is another screenshot of her, I think this is the most amazing screenshot I've taken yet

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/Images/208296
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: February 21, 2013, 03:45:07 pm »

The problem is that quickloading all the time isn't fun, it isn't roleplaying, and it isn't living with the consequences of your choices. But in situations like that (and the pickpocketing you mentioned) I feel like the system encourages you to game it.

Yeah, I suppose it does. Still, I don't think that removing all random chances like that is the way to go, either. I'm not sure what the way to go is, but it's not that.

And the main reason I find Morrowind a more rewarding RP experience is because it had so many more guilds, and more conflict in their plots. Otherwise I don't think NPC interaction in Morrowind was really much better, and the dialogue was even more poorly written.

I miss the political intrigue, too. It's fun to have all those groups that hate each other, even if the tangible effects of that hate are pretty much limited to disposition penalties and the inability to join more than one Great House. Another thing was that since the dialogue wasn't voiced, they could have so much more of it. Most of it was just pointless chatter that's repeated until you get sick of it and then some more, but there were some conversations that were actually interesting. Like asking Baladas Demnevanni about dwarves. Or talking to most people in Tel Fyr. The unique conversations were nicer in Morrowind since it was possible to fit more information in them.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: February 21, 2013, 04:43:13 pm »

Maby they could use a perlin noise generator (as a function of time) for combat damage/hit/miss instead of simply the output of a PRNG. That way your character would seem to be playing more consistantly yet sill allow him to perform worse or better than average at times in a way that seems more natural.

RPG's need to take advantage of the powerful processor rather than relying on systems that humans used to manage IMO.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8374 on: February 21, 2013, 06:18:30 pm »

Sorry, what? How would you apply the Perlin noise, and what would it achieve?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8375 on: February 21, 2013, 06:27:39 pm »

Sorry, what? How would you apply the Perlin noise, and what would it achieve?
I assume he means that instead of hit/miss you'd do less or more damage based on how well you rolled vs the enemy defenses +/- some random factor.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:43 pm »

Perlin noise is a type of random number generator that delivers a nice gradient between your upper and lower values. Its 2D implementation is often used to generate landscapes or textures.

While a dice roll in combat simulates the unpredictable nature of stabbing someone who is trying really hard not to get stabbed, perlin noise would simulate, erm... your stabs steadily growing weaker, then stronger again? Perlin noise doesn't really make any sense in this situation.
Dice rolls for damage most often have a base value, so your character already performs consistently. The unpredictable factor is there to add some chaos to the combat, like an orc not going down on the second blow like the others did, or a mudcrab managing to give you an especially nasty pinch. Until computers can simulate reality enough to tell you *why* that pinch was nasty, random values are our friend. Even Dwarf Fortress uses them for a lot of skillchecks, just at a deeper level.

If you really want your character to suck for no obvious reason from time to time, re-introduce the Luck stat and tie that to the perlin noise. This way the player can at least compensate for long periods of suckiness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: February 21, 2013, 08:47:22 pm »

Here's the way I like to play Skyrim, makes you actually get an adrenaline rush due to consequences of failure: only save at the start of the dungeon, on the outside. This way, it gets a different random generation each time you reload so that instead of frustratingly repeating exectly the same thing over if you die, losing can be somewhat fun. You still have to fight/sneak/boogie all the way back through, but then you're 20 minutes in and your companion dies from a trap and you ask "Do I do all that again, or do I just accept the loss?"

Only works well on the more interesting dungeons, though. I guess most people would only accept companion death if it was a story dungeon.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8378 on: February 21, 2013, 09:10:57 pm »

Have it installed since release. Still haven't finished. Spent more time modding than playing.

Shit's just too boring.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8379 on: February 21, 2013, 10:16:58 pm »

How Laenaya has evolved thus far in my Skyrim play through (not really in-character)

-I'm a hybrid assassin/necromancer!
-Nope, I'm a hunter that loves animals! (dunno how it got to this to be honest)
-Nevermind, I'm a blood archer (thats what my character build really was anyway)! I just won't be a vampire.
-Well since my last outfit is banned from Skyrim...
-A new outfit! and it looks amazing! wait...
-*buys Dawnguard to use new outfit as it won't work without it*
-*might as well...*clicks buy on Dragonborn*
-Now I'm still a blood archer, but also a vampire! since...you know...blood...archer...and I bought Dawnguard...

All in a pretty short time too xD

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8380 on: February 21, 2013, 10:42:56 pm »

I realized how overpowered my completely non-modded vanilla exploit driven character has become. I'd been playing the nice, chivalrous type, doing all the goodie-two-shoes things, looking for nonviolent solutions. But after killing a dragon in Whiterun in under a minute for the 18th time, after which this has apparently lost it's spectacle for the townsfolk, the guards just says to me "Don't try to barter with me like I'm some damn merchant."

That's it. Everybody dies.

I massacre every non-essential thing in the entire town, including all of the Companions, blasting everything with unlimited shouts from glitched talos amulet, blowing shit up with fireballs, smacking with exploited enchanted weapons. Then the courier shows up, calm as ever, and just gives me about 30 letters of inheritance.

Yeah, in the market for masochistic difficulty mods right about now. Also, those couriers.... yikes.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8381 on: February 21, 2013, 10:46:49 pm »

Yeah, in the market for masochistic difficulty mods right about now. Also, those couriers.... yikes.
go nuts http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/3829

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8382 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:23 pm »

Need moar, the power of exploits is still too strong for those things! I tried that mod back when I beat Dawnguard months ago. Maybe if used in combination with that really OP'd lions mod...

I want to try a combination of mods, see how far vanilla exploit powered equipment can go against things the devs never dreamed of.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: February 21, 2013, 11:06:45 pm »

With the newest Deadly Dragons and SkyUI, you can amp the power of the dragons to ridiculous levels. Go into the Esc>Mod Configuration>Deadly Dragons menu, and there's a shitload of sliders you can set for the dragons.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: February 21, 2013, 11:30:16 pm »

Here are a couple new screenshots of Laenaya. I messed with FOV that I see a lot of screenshots use (a lot of popular screenshots use a much lower FOV)

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/208475 - I like this one quite a lot, and I took quite a bit of time to get this one right.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/208474 - This one isn't too bad I don't think. I was messing with different FOV for this one and was first screenshot I took tonight.
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 896