Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558598 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #8655 on: April 06, 2013, 04:02:01 pm »

I somehow suspect that the forum RP's and other Kirkbride stuff not written in the games aren't canon.

I'm not very fond of the RP, but the texts by the devs (both Kirkbride and the other developers (yeah, it's not just Kirkbride, there's a lot of them) are definitely "canon". That they weren't ingame is completely irrelevant. The setting is bigger than the sum of the games. And those are the guys that wrote the setting.
Love, scriver~

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8656 on: April 06, 2013, 04:10:15 pm »

Until TES VIII features cyrus riding his sailing ship through space against the magicka dreamsleeve kynesbreath AI, I won't believe it. So, yeah, I guess we can leave it at WTF for now.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8657 on: April 06, 2013, 04:37:53 pm »

Until TES VIII features cyrus riding his sailing ship through space against the magicka dreamsleeve kynesbreath AI, I won't believe it. So, yeah, I guess we can leave it at WTF for now.

TES V already included some of the Kirkbride stuff, though!

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8658 on: April 07, 2013, 04:21:07 am »

Any rational man of faith will see that those segments of TES lore which did not appear in Morrowind, the Holiest of Holies, are therefore not truly of Divine revelation!

N'wahs.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8659 on: April 07, 2013, 05:16:46 am »

But then you can't say that the Dragonborn is Alduin!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8660 on: April 07, 2013, 08:41:43 am »

I don't see why anyone would want to willfully limit their understanding of the ES universe like this.
Love, scriver~

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8661 on: April 07, 2013, 09:52:02 am »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8662 on: April 07, 2013, 10:36:29 am »

So, I'm having a problem with certain effects in the game turning my screen pure black, and the threads over at the Nexus tech help section never get any replies.

I first noticed it when I picked up the Staff of Corruption. Whenever I cast it, the screen turned black. My game wasn't frozen, and I could still perfectly see the GUI elements. If I happened to stumble near an object or door, I could see the "press E" popup just fine. But it's like I had 100% Blind cast on me.

I tried various things, changed my mod order, disabled mods... nothing seemed to help. Since it was the only occurance I had come across in ~40 hours of play, I decided to just not use the staff.

Later, when going through the Mage College quests and helping whats-her-name by being a spell test subject, it happened again. She cast her "I turned you supar-green" spell on me, and my screen went black.

In both instances, if I open my map, I get visual back. But when I close my map, it goes black again. I can briefly see the world before the darkness encroaches. It 'fades' to black, rather than a sudden flicker. This weird fading behaviour makes me suspect some sort of shader problem.

So. Shader problems... how exactly does one fix those? Are there any ini settings I can try changing? My gfx card is a single ATI 6850.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8663 on: April 07, 2013, 02:28:43 pm »

I don't see why anyone would want to willfully limit their understanding of the ES universe like this.

It's supercomfy. :D
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8664 on: April 07, 2013, 06:45:38 pm »

Another point: Even if something is 'canon' that doesn't make it true. A story written by a misinformed scholar could be canon and still false.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8665 on: April 07, 2013, 08:35:47 pm »

Another point: Even if something is 'canon' that doesn't make it true. A story written by a misinformed scholar could be canon and still false.

Exactly! And some things are actually pure fiction as well. That's what I love about the lore of this series; there are tales not intended as representations of the world, but fantasies and genre fiction by authors trying to make a living in Tamriel. People can have folklore and superstitions and beliefs, as in real life, without them having to be literally true or some bizarre metaphysical process making them all literally and physically true at the same time.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8666 on: April 07, 2013, 09:48:21 pm »

Exactly! And some things are actually pure fiction as well. That's what I love about the lore of this series; there are tales not intended as representations of the world, but fantasies and genre fiction by authors trying to make a living in Tamriel. People can have folklore and superstitions and beliefs, as in real life, without them having to be literally true or some bizarre metaphysical process making them all literally and physically true at the same time.

A good point, too. See: Mysterious Akavir.

I'm pretty sure that one was penned by someone's 8 year-old son as a weekly essay on "What My Daddy Does at Work."

Or maybe one of the coders. :P

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8667 on: April 08, 2013, 03:24:00 am »

You're missing the forest for the trees. If you stare at each tree and say "nope, this tree is just a single, independent tree. There's no connection to the other trees here" then you're not going to understand the big picture.

I see TES lore as a puzzle. You can look at each individual piece and say that it is different from all the others. It is, that is true. But when you start putting the puzzle together there's only a few ways it'll fit together and putting them together displays the full picture.

It's the same with the lore. If you look at how the world OS described to work, at how all the different myths and stories explain the same thing, then you start grasping how it all fits together. How Akavir is a reflection of Tamriel through a distorting mirror. How Elves and Men simply see the world from different sides of a battlefield. How this makes them see their leaders as different personas. And that's the thing about the Akatosh/Auriel/Alduin (as well as Lorkhan/Shor) thing. That is why the elves see the him as a saviour while the men views the same god as a destroyer and "World-Eater".
Love, scriver~

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8668 on: April 08, 2013, 03:43:16 am »

Yes, how Sheogorath is not literally a skooma cat but from Kajhiit mythology alone you can at least infer that there is an entity spreading insanity around. IRL, there's not some guy hucking thunderbolts at people he doesn't like but you know that lightning does strike. What I'm objecting to is extrapolating the entire puzzle from a single piece, or insisting there's some weird time paradox that makes each and every story anyone has ever spoken or written down literally true, or assuming that every aspect of said puzzle piece fits with all the others and is thus true.

It wouldn't be a puzzle if you didn't have to figure out what's just cultural fluff and what correlates with what other cultures hold, and with reality. The presence of the 9 divines in some form throughout almost every belief system supports their existence, but even without in-game confessions from Vivec we can infer that much said about him by the Temple is apocryphal.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8669 on: April 08, 2013, 03:47:45 am »

Just so my previous post isn't left orphaned, I'm dropping a quick note here to say I fixed it. The problem was with my self-made patches that disabled Eye Adaptation and HDR/Bloom when using Realistic Lighting Overhaul. I wasn't merging the values correctly.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 896