Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550058 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9555 on: December 19, 2013, 02:43:48 am »

There are two ways to get appreciable unarmed damage without transforming into anything:

1) Fists of Steel perk with epic daedric gauntlets, preferably with the enchantment from the "gloves of the pugilist" found in Riften. You can get about 70 damage per punch, if you're Kahjiit.

2) Using the alchemy/enchant exploit loop, and that same enchantment, put a powerful punching enchantment on any gloves you wish. It can be anything from a small bost, to truly badass, to ungodly and hilariously overpowered.

Alchemy/Enchant loop? Is this something like... make a potion that increases enchant then enchant an item with increase alchemy?
Basically yeah, it lets you create ridiculous dammij enchants.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: December 19, 2013, 02:44:58 am »

Alchemy/Enchant loop? Is this something like... make a potion that increases enchant then enchant an item with increase alchemy?
There's a fortify restoration somewhere in the middle.
But essentially, yes. Somehow, going through the loop feels more fun and less broken than simply modding in a cheat item or jacking things up with the ~console. Ridiculous godweapons, infinite magicka, etc. Mind you, the charge on the weapons runs out quickly.

Sometimes finishers can ignore 'essential' flagging. My most glorious moment was, as a werewolf, getting the finishing animation on and permanently killing Maven Blackbriar. But before I could save, Brynjolf of all people managed to kill me as I was about to eat her corpse and heal.

Children don't carry the essential flag - they carry the Invulnerable flag. Nothing that hits them should work.
Works on any BS flag.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: December 19, 2013, 02:46:31 am »

Oh what I was talking about wasn't a console command or anything. It's where you transform into a werewolf at the exact instant that you talk to a companion, then equip the billion gauntlets you prepared beforehand and put in their inventory.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: December 19, 2013, 02:53:39 am »

Somehow, going through the loop feels more fun and less broken than simply modding in a cheat item or jacking things up with the ~console.

I know, it's odd, isn't it? I mean, I do love Oblivion's broken-ass magic system wherein an apprentice level spell can instantly kill anything until you get to level 20 or so (which you will never do because destruction isn't a major skill hehe).

I should totally make some sort of "Lore-Friendly Shouts" mod. Hilariously broken cheat mod, what that is. In-game, you slow time for 20 seconds; in lore, you take the entire cursed Nordic race and shunt their short lifespans to the Orcs with a single shout.

I don't get all the furor about "lore-friendly!", anyway. If I want lore stuff in Skyrim, I read the books :I the rest of it is whatevs. I do enjoy stuff that goes into the lore a bit, but the only really lore-y mod I've ever played was mostly based on Battlespire's lore (then again, most of the deep lore is anyway...)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: December 19, 2013, 02:59:02 am »

I don't get all the furor about "lore-friendly!", anyway. If I want lore stuff in Skyrim, I read the books :I the rest of it is whatevs. I do enjoy stuff that goes into the lore a bit, but the only really lore-y mod I've ever played was mostly based on Battlespire's lore (then again, most of the deep lore is anyway...)
What I want isn't really so much a mod that's lore friendly so much as lore masturbatory. There isn't one that I can find for Skyrim, though :(
Sorry, I went into Pheonix-Wright mode for a second there.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: December 19, 2013, 03:02:37 am »

Somehow, going through the loop feels more fun and less broken than simply modding in a cheat item or jacking things up with the ~console.

I know, it's odd, isn't it? I mean, I do love Oblivion's broken-ass magic system wherein an apprentice level spell can instantly kill anything until you get to level 20 or so (which you will never do because destruction isn't a major skill hehe).

I should totally make some sort of "Lore-Friendly Shouts" mod. Hilariously broken cheat mod, what that is. In-game, you slow time for 20 seconds; in lore, you take the entire cursed Nordic race and shunt their short lifespans to the Orcs with a single shout.

It is more satisfying to find ways to... break the game without actually using cheats. Cheats are just as fun though, like me summoning heaps of super mutants in the trenches in the city in Fallout 3, equipping my companions and myself with Spacemarine armour and bolters and purging the mutants.

Can the slow time shout be changed to actually stop time?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: December 19, 2013, 03:03:41 am »

What I want isn't really so much a mod that's lore friendly so much as lore masturbatory. There isn't one that I can find for Skyrim, though :(
Sorry, I went into Pheonix-Wright mode for a second there.

Yes. That's what I mean.

There's a difference. Lore-friendly is something exclusive. It means that you won't have flying dwemer steam dragons or something. I don't care about that.

Lore masturbatory is inclusive. It means the entire thing is based around traveling to Masser through a battlespire or on a mothship or something else crazy obscure like that.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9562 on: December 19, 2013, 03:14:58 am »

Yeah, Oblivion had things like putting Weakness to Fire and Fire Damage 1 pt on a weapon so it would stack up every time you hit, or the apprentice destruction spells that drop health by like 50 for one second, so they're cheap to use and are an instant kill on most things.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9563 on: December 19, 2013, 03:16:59 am »

Dagger with weakness to magicka 100% and drain life 100 can kill Dagon in less than 10 hits.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9564 on: December 19, 2013, 03:54:52 am »

Does anyone have any experience with the Helgen Reborn and/or Civil War overhaul mods?

I recently downloaded the game through Steam, the result of delving too deeply into the possibilities of immersion mods like Frostfall, Wet and Cold, More Complex Needs, etc. Now, I'm trying to use my discretion in adding new mods, especially those that introduce original content (since that tends to be spotty and sometimes non-English in origin), but the two I mentioned above are especially tempting. What I am more curious of, however, is their quality and stability...
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9565 on: December 19, 2013, 03:56:43 am »

Helgen Reborn I have never had issues with.

Civil War overhaul, last I played, made the civil war impossible to win, as all the guards in Dawnstar would attack you (if you've sided with the Empire) even when you're supposed to be giving them a letter. I'm sure it's fixed now.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9566 on: December 19, 2013, 04:28:32 am »

Thanks for the snappy reply!

I'll err on the safe side and leave the overhaul out for the time being, since I usually don't get around to the Civil War until after I finish the main storyline and a faction arc or two.

After watching a couple of reviews, Helgen on the other hand looks like it will be more interesting the actual game! :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9567 on: December 19, 2013, 07:20:19 am »

Meh, Helgen Reborn... About the same quality of writing (and characterisation) as vanilla. Plus loads of badly delivered exposition. I pretty much lost interest after your militia acts like the modern US army, including a stereotypical drill sergeant. I have no idea how the maker could have thought that was a good idea, it feels completely out of place.
Love, scriver~

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9568 on: December 19, 2013, 04:59:50 pm »

Instead of that giant civ war overhaul I just flip on Immersive patrols.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9569 on: December 20, 2013, 04:59:09 am »

I'll look into Immersive Patrols reconsider activating the Helgen plot- or better yet, make a backup before I start.

I really must say with all the appropriate emphasis, though... thanks to this lineup of survival and economics mods I am running (not to mention the one that gags NPCs chat), this game has gone from a second-rate over-marketed post-RPG to a first-person fantasy equivalent to UnReal World.

Chopping wood in the morning hours to make some coin, spending the better part of that coin on a well-balanced meal, then spending the afternoon to ranging within sight of the city, foraging here and there or bagging a hare or two, all while ever-so-carefully assessing encounters for potential risk to gain has provided me with some of the most satisfying gameplay I've had in years.
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638] 639 640 ... 896