Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558593 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9885 on: January 05, 2014, 05:17:49 am »

One person on another's shoulder would have been sufficient to infliltrate the Thalmor embassy from that cave.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9886 on: January 05, 2014, 05:20:49 am »

Those were pretty good, yeah. Though it raises the question of why no-one's ever tried coming in the back way.
It's one-way too. Sometimes you have to pull a lever, jump off a little cliff, etc. So, no one can come by that way.
Though it does pose the question: have the people of Skyrim never discovered how to build ladders? Or, often enough, how to stand on someone's shoulders and do a pull-up.
They know how to build ladders, they just don't know how to use them.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9887 on: January 05, 2014, 05:26:52 am »

No one trusts anyone in Skyrim, which is why no one cooperates.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9888 on: January 05, 2014, 07:35:09 am »

Those were pretty good, yeah. Though it raises the question of why no-one's ever tried coming in the back way.
It's one-way too. Sometimes you have to pull a lever, jump off a little cliff, etc. So, no one can come by that way.
Though it does pose the question: have the people of Skyrim never discovered how to build ladders? Or, often enough, how to stand on someone's shoulders and do a pull-up.
Personally I think that the knowledge of ladder construction was lost as part of a global trend. Knowledge of levitation was lost with the defeat of Dagoth Ur, and knowledge of how to jump vastly declined and was probably entirely lost shortly after the oblivion crisis. How to climb ladders was next on the chopping block.
Note how you often can't even climb a 45 degree slope as a humanoid. Only dragons and horses can move vertically in any useful way due to the destruction of the amulet of kings and such.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:37:06 am by Rakonas »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9889 on: January 05, 2014, 08:01:48 am »

Thinking about it, the back enterances make not too much sense lore-wise.

In a certain book, some guy theorizes that the gates with the claws were ment to keep the Draugr in instead of keeping you out, why else would they make the elaborate locks if they're going to write the solution on the key?

SO WHY WOULD YOU MAKE AN EASY BACK EXIT IF YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE AN ELABORATELY LOCKED FRONT DOOR?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9890 on: January 05, 2014, 08:20:55 am »

Personally I think that the knowledge of ladder construction was lost as part of a global trend. Knowledge of levitation was lost with the defeat of Dagoth Ur, and knowledge of how to jump vastly declined and was probably entirely lost shortly after the oblivion crisis. How to climb ladders was next on the chopping block.
Note how you often can't even climb a 45 degree slope as a humanoid. Only dragons and horses can move vertically in any useful way due to the destruction of the amulet of kings and such.
You can still find ladders in Skyrim, even if they're rare. But you'll never see anyone climbing one. My bet is that wondering what these strange objects could be used for, they put teleporation spells on it (one up and one down), but it requires the ladder to be fixed.

Thinking about it, the back enterances make not too much sense lore-wise.

In a certain book, some guy theorizes that the gates with the claws were ment to keep the Draugr in instead of keeping you out, why else would they make the elaborate locks if they're going to write the solution on the key?

SO WHY WOULD YOU MAKE AN EASY BACK EXIT IF YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE AN ELABORATELY LOCKED FRONT DOOR?
Is it ? I thought Draugr were there to guard the tombs, not that it was some sort of undead prison.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9891 on: January 05, 2014, 10:23:30 am »

It's said in a certain book about some adventurer who is in his death bed. Can't recall the name.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9892 on: January 05, 2014, 12:16:47 pm »

The draugr being put there to guard it and also being sealed in aren't mutually exclusive.

Kudos to Rakonas, your speculative anthropology is fascinating.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9893 on: January 05, 2014, 01:09:25 pm »

I am wondering, is there a mod which removes the tutorial quests for Alchemy, Enchanting and Smithing?
The reason I ask, is because sometimes I find myself eventually wanting to complete all quests I come across.
However these small tutorial quests are some of which I hate doing each time I start a new character.
And I tend to make new characters every few days, for mod testing purposes.
If not completely removing them, simply disabling their dialogue options would make me happy.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:12:07 pm by Ultimuh »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9894 on: January 05, 2014, 01:38:30 pm »

What kind of moron thought that'd be a good idea?

Zenimax online studios apparently. They're pretty much just borrowing the IP since they own Bethesda anyway.

Yep. The same guys who tried to hit Notch/Mojang with a lawsuit over making a game called "Scrolls", claiming it was too similar to "The Elder Scrolls". No doubt they were hoping for an easy settlement payout from a "small indie company". Joke was on them, I guess!

But yeah... Zenimax is trying to push Bethesda to be something they're not, and has been for several installments of the TES series. Honestly, I am worried for what will happen to the series after this MMO bombs. Maybe they'll ditch Zenimax and fund a Kickstarter Campaign or something to finance themselves. >:I

Man, I really love Qa'Dojo from the Interesting NPCs mod.

Wow... this is a pretty impressive mod! Characters about town, in the wilderness, and recruitable NPCs with actual personalities, instead of all the bland stuff the game shipped with. I'd have liked to see more of the NPC interaction it adds in the base game, too. Pretty cool!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9895 on: January 05, 2014, 01:43:38 pm »

They have ladders in Daggerfall...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9896 on: January 05, 2014, 01:50:07 pm »

It actually took me till watching grimith and lethal playing daggerfall to learn those ladders were functional.

That was embarrassing.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9897 on: January 05, 2014, 02:11:25 pm »

They have ladders in Daggerfall...
In Skyrim too.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9898 on: January 05, 2014, 02:20:01 pm »

Wow... this is a pretty impressive mod! Characters about town, in the wilderness, and recruitable NPCs with actual personalities, instead of all the bland stuff the game shipped with. I'd have liked to see more of the NPC interaction it adds in the base game, too. Pretty cool!
It is really, really good.

Even the wife I married this time actually has more to say than making food or how she opened a shop. There was actually a date (just one though, which is still pretty weird), actual marriage things, and actual conversation.

I went on a quest to exterminate vampires only to find an Argonian vampire hunter examining their corpses. I ran into the Dwarvenborn, the one who will stop the Dwarven world eater. I met a conjurer who only became a conjurer because he was too lazy to carry his own weapons around. I listened to Qa'dojo try to talk up a tavern wench. I came across an old woman who was travelling Skyrim because it was the only place her son didn't manage to visit before he died. I met a merchant who only wanted to buy and sell junk like spoons and forks, because he would sell them at a profit to other merchants. I listened to the two racist thanes in Winterhold tell funny racist jokes until they told one about Redguards, at which point I slaughtered them.

The effect is even better when you add it with mods that just add misc normal people that don't have anything to say. Like populated taverns that put in patrons depending on the time of day and how large the city, as well as mods that just add more random people to cities. Then you get mods that add in named characters but don't have anything to say to you, and you'll always get surprised when you run into the occasional gem that Interesting NPCs puts in.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: January 05, 2014, 02:23:35 pm »

Direct link to the mod for those of us who are lazy fucks?

Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 896