Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550064 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #9930 on: January 06, 2014, 06:05:36 pm »

I thought all PC's were that by default.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9931 on: January 06, 2014, 06:13:52 pm »

Nah. The Champion of Cyrodiil definitely1, the LDB likely, the Nerevarine almost certainly not (I mean, you're already Nerevarine, why do you get to be Shezzarine too? :I), the Agent and Talin... maybe. The Agent seems kinda mundane in comparison while Talin... is actually pretty damn powerful, but not enough mythological importance can be assigned to him/her.

1Being Pelinaline makes you Shezzarine by association, anyway. The CoC is hilariously padomaic, though, being simultaneously a reincarnation of an insane Shezzarine future robot made by Kyne and the Sithis-shaped hole in the world that embodies madness itself, not to mention his/her lines in Skyrim suggesting that s/he was also Listener and Gray Fox at the same time as being Pelinaline and Sheogorath.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:31:16 pm by Putnam »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9932 on: January 06, 2014, 07:26:04 pm »

A violent paranoid megalomaniac Kaijit who punches people to death on the slightest provocation while entirely naked.
For pro players only.

do you give advice and playful developer commentary?
1. Kill walrus
2. Bitches gonna hate
3. Profit
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9933 on: January 06, 2014, 07:31:53 pm »

What profit from walrus? Or profit from hate?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9934 on: January 07, 2014, 12:44:17 am »

SOC Mod idea: harvest Hate from paralyzed enemies. Use Hate to craft Hate stuff, like equipment and a Hateball spell.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9935 on: January 07, 2014, 01:07:09 am »

Nah. The Champion of Cyrodiil definitely1, the LDB likely, the Nerevarine almost certainly not (I mean, you're already Nerevarine, why do you get to be Shezzarine too? :I), the Agent and Talin... maybe. The Agent seems kinda mundane in comparison while Talin... is actually pretty damn powerful, but not enough mythological importance can be assigned to him/her.

1Being Pelinaline makes you Shezzarine by association, anyway. The CoC is hilariously padomaic, though, being simultaneously a reincarnation of an insane Shezzarine future robot made by Kyne and the Sithis-shaped hole in the world that embodies madness itself, not to mention his/her lines in Skyrim suggesting that s/he was also Listener and Gray Fox at the same time as being Pelinaline and Sheogorath.

You, sir. You are the reason I do not start a TES RPG/tactics game in the Forum Games and Roleplaying section. Your superior knowledge of lore and lore-associated philosophy make you a threat to any aspiring GM, and Azura herself fears you. :P

Kudos n' stuff.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:10:02 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9936 on: January 07, 2014, 09:09:21 am »

I think that being everything the PC could possibly be simultaneously is true for every PC. The status of the PC as simultaneously master of everything is precisely why they're Shezzarine. Just as the CoC is shezzarine and sheogorath, etc. the Nerevarine is also Shezzarine and the figure of the Bloodmoon Prophecy, while the Dragonborn is an aspect of Akatosh or whatever and everything else.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9937 on: January 07, 2014, 11:34:43 am »

I think that being everything the PC could possibly be simultaneously is true for every PC. The status of the PC as simultaneously master of everything is precisely why they're Shezzarine. Just as the CoC is shezzarine and sheogorath, etc. the Nerevarine is also Shezzarine and the figure of the Bloodmoon Prophecy, while the Dragonborn is an aspect of Akatosh or whatever and everything else.

Not necessarily. The PC can't do everything (example: the great houses in Morrowind). Being a PC also has absolutely nothing to do with being Shezzarine. The CoC is only Shezzarine because they mantled Pelinal, otherwise they'd just be Sheogorath. The Dragonborn is not an aspect of Akatosh, merely a mortal that was born with the soul of a dragon because Akatosh is crazy and doesn't need a reason. So while the Dragonborn could be considered aedric, they are certainly not Akatosh (if they were, you would be sort of beating on yourself during the battles with Alduin). The Bloodmoon prophecy isn't really concerned with individuals other than Hircine, since it's basically him hunting whatever badarses are on Solstheim when it rolls around.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9938 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:31 am »

I wouldn't say Akatosh is a crazy random fellow. He must have called in the Dragonborn to put a check on the part of himself that eats the world. Seems pretty straightforward.

Also, I love the idea of the Bloodmoon rolling around during Dragonborn, so that the Thalmor on the island get caught up in it. They would loose so hard.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9939 on: January 07, 2014, 12:14:57 pm »

I wouldn't say Akatosh is a crazy random fellow. He must have called in the Dragonborn to put a check on the part of himself that eats the world. Seems pretty straightforward.

Also, I love the idea of the Bloodmoon rolling around during Dragonborn, so that the Thalmor on the island get caught up in it. They would loose so hard.
Adding on to this, it's not even without precedent.  While I skipped Oblivion, I did learn some of its major plots while reading on daedric lore, and...

Spoiler: Shivering Isles (click to show/hide)

Plus, and I'm not exactly lore-conversant, are Akatosh and Alduin really ever confirmed to be one and the same, beyond Alduin himself putting on airs?  I mean, the Nords use the differences in behaviour between Akatosh and Alduin to claim that the two are different gods.  If they aren't actually one and the same, and Alduin is simply taking on delusions of godhood above his assigned role by the gods, then Akatosh empowering the Dragonborn against Alduin also loses the possible contradiction. 

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9940 on: January 07, 2014, 02:09:25 pm »

I don't think Sheogorath is mad or insane. He's more eclectic or obscure in his methods.

A mad person wouldn't care about the outcomes. He wouldn't care about anything at all. His actions would be incomprehensible to normal people. But we can clearly understand Sheogorath's motives every time he appears. He's like a normal person trying to pretend to be mad or "random".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9941 on: January 07, 2014, 02:10:39 pm »

Sheogorath confirmed for hipster Daedra?
Sig! Onol

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9942 on: January 07, 2014, 02:28:13 pm »

Sheogorath confirmed for hipster Daedra?
+1

He's also sort of an embodiment of the way I behave on Omegle.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9943 on: January 07, 2014, 02:29:00 pm »

Elder Scrolls VI main questline: Sheogorath invents the Internet.
Sig! Onol

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9944 on: January 07, 2014, 02:43:58 pm »

Don't they already have one of those? The Dreamsleeve or something?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 896