Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1549981 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10425 on: February 10, 2014, 12:22:00 am »

Well I normally make a Breton Mage, and well, there isn't really anything that makes magic fun to use other then those crazy or overpowered spells that come from things like Midius and such... Anyone got a suggestion on any mods that do better???

Uh yeah, read through that mod i posted above, Skyrim Redone. You could also look at Requiem for another overhaul mod. Both of these make a lot of changes tot he world that affect how magic works, and how it plays out due to all the other changes.

Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim is pretty cool as a mod that just tampers with magic, it adds a lot of gameplay diversity. Works with Skyrim Redone as well.

I know a lot of folks say these overhauls chnage the game too much, but in my opinion this is exactly what Skyrim needed to be fun to me again. Combat is more engaging and magic is more versatile, having a good time with it.

Heres a link: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9286/?

People harp on SkyRe not because "it change evryting!" but because it makes pretty much every other mod incompatible.
Or so I hear, frankly I've seen a bunch of lets plays and such using it and plenty of the more "major" mods and they seem to work fine. I honestly don't know of anything I'm currently bothering to use that it would be incompatible with and I have a bunch of mods.

Sadly I can't add it, as I'm rather attached to a saved character, due to having an LP of my own, so I can't say for certain what it does/doesn't break.

It works stellar for me. It changes enough of the game so that I dont need any other gameplay changing mods, I just upgrade the UI, some graphics but no too much, and some miscellaneous stuff like Immersive Patrols and Apocalypse magic.

Any way, I think SkyRe is a pretty nicely done mod and I am enjoying it a lot.

Has anyone here played with a good amount of the necromancy stuff in SkyRe?

I got nothing

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10426 on: February 10, 2014, 01:34:50 am »

I'm pretty meh on overhauls- they always contain some things I don't want, and always lack some things I demand.

Well I normally make a Breton Mage, and well, there isn't really anything that makes magic fun to use other then those crazy or overpowered spells that come from things like Midius and such... Anyone got a suggestion on any mods that do better???
Have you tried amping up the difficulty? Things like frostfall or needs/diseases can breath life into the old system, perhaps. Can't say I've ever particularly enjoyed magic- too lackluster. You'd think a magic flamethrower would have more of an impact. Stealth archery though, now that's a profession I can get behind.

Hm, perhaps there's some kinda tweak out there that drastically increases mana cost, mana regeneration (is there a pause?), and spell damage. More !ZAP! & trying to survive waiting for mana.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:43:15 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: February 10, 2014, 01:42:27 am »

I have pretty severe mana problems on my current Skyrim build.

I'm not sure which mod is limiting it, but I can usually only do maybe one or two big destruction spells before I'm out of mana. This is with lots of stats in the destruction tree as well as the standard enchanting stuff you do for your armour and the super Gauldur Amulet with +100% mana regeneration and +100 mana.

It's pretty fun. Then again, I do resort to stabbing things a lot more.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10428 on: February 10, 2014, 01:46:53 am »

IDK, I've been through a couple stealth characters, and they get really fucking boring, even with hardcore-difficulty stealth mods. You get to the point where you can 1HKO anything, and then it's only a matter of time until you run out of ways to entertain yourself with trickshots and backstab stunts.

Though it never gets old shooting/stabbing someone and having the body fall off a high ledge. :3

Re: Magic: I actually soiled myself by downloading that TERA armor mod (the pervy one) because someone tipped me off about the robes you can craft; they're highly specialized towards different types of casting with enchantments that emphasize various approaches. Still requires you to lose your self-respect, though.

I also had a good bit of fun with one of the spell-adding mods (can't remember which one) in a spellblade-style build, combining the old sneak-n-stab with a specific set of utility and non-Destruction damage spells.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10429 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:01 am »

Do they have dude models?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:59 am »

Is there a mod that let's you enchant arrows with spells that go off when they hit a target?
Because having Fus Ro arrows would be pretty damn cool.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10431 on: February 10, 2014, 01:53:04 am »

I don't think that's lore-friendly.
Badges of honor

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: February 10, 2014, 01:55:44 am »

...Enchant your bow, perhaps?

I mean, granted, you'd need modded-in effects for a knockback, but it's already a thing in vanilla. I abuse it horribly, naturally.

1. Bow with Soul Trap 1 second on hit. A bajillion charges. Black Star
2. Instagib sneak crits.
3. ????
4. Souls. So many fucking souls. Carry a pocketful of crap ones, shoot wildlife as you pass to recharge. Or better yet, get that one perk.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: February 10, 2014, 01:58:31 am »

So? Mod.
Sig! Onol

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10434 on: February 10, 2014, 01:59:27 am »

A knockback on-hit bow sounds insanely fun.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: February 10, 2014, 02:05:32 am »

Did Morrowind have enchanted arrows? I think it had things like fireball and poison arrows, but you couldn't enchant them yourself, you had to find them.

My favourite since Oblivion is still paralysis arrows. I love how the NPC's fall over and bounce around, best when they're at the top of stairs. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: February 10, 2014, 02:11:28 am »

A knockback on-hit bow sounds insanely fun.
Or enchant an arrow with a high-level Frenzy spell and fire it into the midst of a crowd.
Sig! Onol

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10437 on: February 10, 2014, 02:12:59 am »

I can't see why it wouldn't be. Thu'um is just another kind of magic, except instead of magicka, you are forming your ability to articulate and understand concepts into action. I am just about 100% sure that most if not all shouts (minus perhaps dragonrend or Miraak's dragon kill shout) could be done by a particularly powerful Mage.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: February 10, 2014, 02:14:35 am »

Fire miniaturized Greybeards in place of arrows at people?
That could be lore friendly in the right context.
Sig! Onol

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10439 on: February 10, 2014, 02:15:46 am »

I can't see why it wouldn't be. Thu'um is just another kind of magic, except instead of magicka, you are forming your ability to articulate and understand concepts into action. I am just about 100% sure that most if not all shouts (minus perhaps dragonrend or Miraak's dragon kill shout) could be done by a particularly powerful Mage.
That sounds like something that would earn more than a couple mages their PhDs.

-That is, they might be able to mimic effects, but the mechanism/method seems completely different. Accomplishing truly the same thing, mechanism & all, through use of magicka- that sounds ground-breaking.

Fire miniaturized Greybeards in place of arrows at people?
That could be lore friendly in the right context.
Now you're thinking. +1
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:20:06 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 896