Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558375 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10440 on: February 10, 2014, 10:10:42 am »

I have pretty severe mana problems on my current Skyrim build.
That illusion guy at the college gives a quest to use these freaky gloves to "tune" the magic around the place.
But what I recently found out is that if you just "tune" one then the gloves end up with a crazy "your magic regens even when you are charging a spell, and does so super fast" enchantment for about 2 hours.

This is from VANILLA mind you. You can even do it on the console version (I did once without realizing it, was wondering why the fuck my argonian warrior had infinite magic :P)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #10441 on: February 10, 2014, 12:31:10 pm »

Has anyone here played with a good amount of the necromancy stuff in SkyRe?

I'm screwing around with that a lot right now, with my Imperial 'ARMIES EFF YEAH' mage.

If you can get hold of a lot of dead bodies, you can use the soul gems you've picked up to create skeletons. (I've only got the first rank, so I only know there's Skeleton Warriors and 2nd rank Skeleton Archers.) They're much stronger than a vanilla skeleton, and are quite useful. It's simply hilarious to see seven different skeletons gang up on a Master Vampire and shred him to pieces.

It is balanced, however, as every perk spent on Skeletons (as well as those spent on Dwemer machinery from the Alteration branch, which are much harder to obtain but are far more useful due to the ability to put both live and dead self-made machines into containers to be used again) means you haven't spent a perk on exploding your enemies with magic and doom. Stamina or Enchanting is also a must-have, as the default carry weight simply won't do for carrying an unmade skeleton army when you just can't get hold of any hands. Don't worry about using up your Grand, Black or Greater soul gems (or any charged ones), though, as Skeletons only use the lower three, and the dwarven machines take a lot of effort putting together.

For the dwarven machines, you'll probably get fairly attached to them. I've only got three of them, as they take (for spiders) two Dwarven Metal Ingots, a Dwarven Cog and a Dwemer Gyro, plus a lesser soul gem. Fortunately, the spiders only way as much as one of those cogs, and there's a perk to make them even lighter. The top-tier machines are the Sphere and the Ballista, which are more expensive. Still, they don't need replacing unless you lose them, and it's quite hard to lose a machine.

So yeah. These guys are all very useful, but you'll probably become quite squishy in the process of getting everything required for them. It's well worth it, though.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10442 on: February 10, 2014, 01:29:49 pm »

I don't think that's lore-friendly.

I can't see why it wouldn't be. Thu'um is just another kind of magic, except instead of magicka, you are forming your ability to articulate and understand concepts into action. I am just about 100% sure that most if not all shouts (minus perhaps dragonrend or Miraak's dragon kill shout) could be done by a particularly powerful Mage.
Except perhaps the time-altering ones.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10443 on: February 10, 2014, 02:16:13 pm »

As an addition to my statement of skeletons, you may want to watch out for the spinny blade traps in Dwemer ruins. Skeletons are entirely defenceless against them. I had a group of about 8 skeletons. Now I have one, who walked behind the blade as it returned to its normal position, as I had done.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #10444 on: February 10, 2014, 02:56:31 pm »

According to lore, shouts are you speaking the language of kinda-angels with full understanding of the words. So you're basically telling the universe to shut up, sit down and do what you tell it to do. When I say fire, you make fire. When I say turn all orcs into cheese, by Akatosh you will turn all the orcs into cheese.

Except perhaps the time-altering ones.

Did you not play the College quest line? :P

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10445 on: February 10, 2014, 03:03:39 pm »

Something like this?

Of course, that ONLY does knockback, and you have to hit the target it looks like.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10446 on: February 10, 2014, 04:27:42 pm »

According to lore, shouts are you speaking the language of kinda-angels with full understanding of the words. So you're basically telling the universe to shut up, sit down and do what you tell it to do. When I say fire, you make fire. When I say turn all orcs into cheese, by Akatosh you will turn all the orcs into cheese.

Actually, the orcs only had their lifespans taken away and transferred to the Nords with shouts :P

Also, Thu'um isn't quite as powerful as CHIM, but CHIM has the endless disadvantage of the user needing to Want something to happen really, really bad for it to actually work. That's why Tiber learned both CHIM and Thu'um. Because he's a munchkin.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10447 on: February 10, 2014, 04:54:20 pm »

Note to self: It takes a while to find and store robots after they've been beating up dragons. On the plus side, I can safely say that I like having spheres and ballistae as well as spiders.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10448 on: February 11, 2014, 01:14:58 am »

Hmm. Which vampire mod would you guys choose, Better Vampires or Vampiric Thirst?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10449 on: February 11, 2014, 02:21:35 am »

Hmm. Which vampire mod would you guys choose, Better Vampires or Vampiric Thirst?

Whichever is more in line with a pleasantly fascist while still layman-accessible standard for immersive, cohesive lore.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10450 on: February 11, 2014, 02:26:21 am »

Whichever is more in line with a pleasantly fascist while still layman-accessible standard for immersive, cohesive lore.
They both are!
Sig! Onol

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: February 11, 2014, 02:27:48 am »

I'm more of a... make vampires explode and burn kinda guy.

So whichever mod that does that better.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10452 on: February 11, 2014, 02:37:53 am »

I'm more of a... make vampires explode and burn kinda guy.

So whichever mod that does that better.
Again, both.

EDIT whoops accidentally permakilled Lydia; she got in the way of my fireballs while I was fighting an Ice Wraith. Deserved it for messing up my aim so many times.
Just hope I won't get charged for this.

EDIT: Ohgod evertytrhing's trying to kill me
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:38:08 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10453 on: February 11, 2014, 03:45:24 pm »

Hmm, depending on just how adjustable it is, better vampires seems like the way to go if only for the reflexes bit.
-e: (the little pauses in attack animations that lets the PC move out of the way)

But then I'm more partial to being a werewolf. A rage mode, some good passives and only ever having to worry about the full moon. Leaves more room for your character's personality, or rather, it's better separated from it.
Question: Lore-wise, can powerful necromancers control vampires?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:40:12 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10454 on: February 11, 2014, 04:10:51 pm »

Haven't played in a while, but I remember my favorite vampire-related mod was something called, I think, "When Vampires Attack". Fairly simple mod that made civilians (but not guards or military) run for cover instead of going all kamikaze on the invading vampire lords. Also there was a similar mod for dragons that went a long way to keeping whole city populations from dying to my modded Super-Death Lich-Lizards.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 896