Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550166 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10950 on: July 18, 2014, 02:13:16 pm »

Bethesda didn't make ESO and had very little part in it.

They in fact didn't support it or want it made at all. Probably want it to fail.

Zenimax and Bethesda may not be on good terms either in the background. So hopefully it works out for Bethesda.

The first line is true. The second line needs a source and is probably not true. The third line is... pretty untrue, since Zenimax was founded specifically as a holding company for Bethesda.

Don't Thalmor comprise solely of Altmer? Who all (mostly) live on Summerset Isle. Or are any other races a part of their agenda?

Which actually...if it is Summerset isle in the next Elder Scrolls...and since not all Altmer (as far as I know) agree with the Thalmor

Anyone see another civil war Elder Scrolls :P
They technically blackmailed the Wood Elves to join them, Khajiit might have joined them i dont remember.
Yep, they "brought the moons back", so the Khajit signed on.

EDIT: I think the novels said that, actually, so NVM my sarcastic remark there.
The Thalmor was Michael Kirkbride! After he left Bethesda! So not canon!

Anyway, who do you think made the moons disappear in the first place? MK said it was a Thalmor eugenics experiment (they wanted to see what would happen to the Lunar Lattice if there was no moons up there).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:15:49 pm by Putnam »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10951 on: July 18, 2014, 02:44:03 pm »

EDIT: I think the novels said that, actually, so NVM my sarcastic remark there.
The Thalmor was Michael Kirkbride! After he left Bethesda! So not canon!

Anyway, who do you think made the moons disappear in the first place? MK said it was a Thalmor eugenics experiment (they wanted to see what would happen to the Lunar Lattice if there was no moons up there).
I actually haven't the foggiest; the only place I got the information was from one of the books you can find scattered in Skyrim (The Great War) by way of UESP.  I always assumed it was actually a natural or divine event that the Thalmor simply took advantage of when they determined how to predict their return, and used that knowledge to claim they did it with unknown magic that, of course, they couldn't use again (since, naturally, the moons are already back).  To a degree, it depends on the role of Masser and Secunda in the actual truth behind the cosmology, which is difficult to determine given Bethesda's and Kirkbride's penchant for unreliable narrators; if, for instance, they really are pieces of Lorkhan's divinity (the Lunar Lorkhan theory) and the Thalmor did it somehow, then it means that the Thalmor have been messing around around with the closest thing they have to a devil.  To be honest, anything that involves the Thalmor, of all the organizations of Mundus, having the magical power to literally warp the Lunar Lattice and cause two entire planes/attendant spirits/Aldmeri gods to disappear for two years is more than a little unsettling. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:46:12 pm by Culise »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10952 on: July 19, 2014, 06:59:19 pm »

Though, credit where its due, if ANYONE would have the magic power to do that and the lack of common sense to go through with it/sacrifice whatever it took to do so, it would obviously be the Thalmor.

Nazi's had tanks, Thalmor have magic.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10953 on: July 19, 2014, 08:30:00 pm »

I'd not mind it if the next ES game had multiplayer as an option, and said multiplayer was more 'Go on with one or two of your friends', and they didn;t compromise single player for multiplayer.

An MMO was a little moronic, IMO.

Although I'd love to be able to play some bits with a friend - when I think about it I really come round to hating the idea. So much has to change to put multiplayer in (even just one or two players) which means compromises have to be made in other areas. All the quests would need to be available for multiplayer (unless you did some sort of 'jamming another player into singleplayer' like some mods do) which would spoil a lot of them, and you'd generally have to balance things like PvP combat and stuff which would just become a nightmare.

I really hope they turn of scale-able mobs though - a lot of RPGs seem to be moving away from that these days, so I'm really hoping they do.

This is how I see ESO:
http://i.imgur.com/6io7JgU.jpg
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10954 on: July 19, 2014, 08:43:14 pm »

That image would have been a perfect hit for nostalgia if some of the chat had included misspelled Runescape chat codes and someone whining about scammers.

Fuck two-player Co-op. If the game isn't designed from the ground up for two (or four, or six...) people, it's going to suck; if it is, playing it alone will suck even more. I hope that's sufficiently blunt, hah.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10955 on: July 19, 2014, 10:37:17 pm »

I...don't know about that, if they did it like Star Wars: The Old Republic does their multiplayer missions/conversations (but, y'know without the MMO and EA exploiting everyone) I think it could work, and actually be pretty damn good. Those are actually the most fun parts of that game, and I think they could mesh well with the way Elder Scrolls works.

No idea about the PVP and things like that though :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10956 on: July 20, 2014, 05:20:40 am »

I would rather have a fantastic single player game than the mediocre multiplayer that are you options with Bethesda and the Elder Scrolls.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10957 on: July 20, 2014, 06:26:16 am »

Well, IMO, borderlands did a good job of the multiplayer/singleplayer stuff.

The only problem I had was when your friend kept nicking all the shit before you could get at it.

As Flying Dice said though, it's all about it being designed from the ground up. Borderlands did that, and is also a lot less heavy on the roleplaying aspect. All the quests are about blowing shit up or doing something simple, whereas ES games are all about conversation and roleplaying.

The only way I could see it working would be a Dark Souls style multiplayer, where you can summon an ally for help in combat. However, I think it'd just be a bit gimmicky if they shoe-horned it in, and be such a rip off of DS that I'm sure they wouldn't go for it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10958 on: July 20, 2014, 06:49:47 am »

ES games are all about conversation and roleplaying.

Since when? I've started playing through Skyrim again just a week ago or so, so the experience is fresh in my mind, and I can tell you there is absolutely zero roleplaying you can do in conversations in Skyrim. There's maybe like one or two quests that have multiple solutions, the vast majority are entirely linear. There's only ever one relevant dialog option. A lot of the time you can't even refuse a quest, it'll just pop up in your journal without giving you the option of saying "no, I don't want to do that". Sometimes you're allowed to refuse a quest, but it means nothing because you can simply just talk to the NPC again and have it offered to you again.

The only way I can think of that multiplayer could screw you over in a TES game is if the other player started killing quest givers, but most of them are tagged as essential anyway. The only ones you're allowed to kill are those that give the miscellaneous tasks. And it wouldn't be hard to mod even them to be essential.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10959 on: July 20, 2014, 08:03:58 am »

That image would have been a perfect hit for nostalgia if some of the chat had included misspelled Runescape chat codes and someone whining about scammers.

Fuck two-player Co-op. If the game isn't designed from the ground up for two (or four, or six...) people, it's going to suck; if it is, playing it alone will suck even more. I hope that's sufficiently blunt, hah.
Trimming armor for FREE! Totallly LEGIT! ;)

And I finally built a gaming PC, I was halfway through installing STEP, and their site crashed.... >.<

Well, back to playing Planetside 2 until I can finish my Skyrim install.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10960 on: July 20, 2014, 08:22:04 am »

don't joke about that.
i once lost a set of mythril armor to that.
i still have nightmares about it

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10961 on: July 20, 2014, 08:33:53 am »

don't joke about that.
i once lost a set of mythril armor to that.
i still have nightmares about it
Let us laugh at miauw in his humiliation!
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10962 on: July 20, 2014, 10:14:12 am »

ES games are all about conversation and roleplaying.

Since when? I've started playing through Skyrim again just a week ago or so, so the experience is fresh in my mind, and I can tell you there is absolutely zero roleplaying you can do in conversations in Skyrim.
Admittedly Skyrim was a lot more linear with quests than earlier ones. Morrowind was fantastic about different outcomes, and even small things could have wide ranging effects.
I kinda meant more 'story' than roleplaying really, a lot of the Dark Brotherhood quests just wouldn't have worked if you had two players and most of the quests were all about you in particular, which wouldn't fit with a mutliplayer experience. I think this is what gives it such a personal 'roleplaying' feel, rather than just 'doing quests' like in borderlands.

I'm mostly hoping they can make massive strides in AI for the next one. Witcher 3 looks to have a really 'living' world, and I really hope they can move further towards that rather than just a few scripted events and people wandering back and forth between places.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10963 on: July 20, 2014, 12:23:32 pm »

So, uh, it's probably come up here before, but there's this thing coming out (eventually) called Skywind. It's a merging of Skyrim's engine and graphics with Morrowind's world. Apparently it requires copies of both games to play, but it looks really pretty.

Thinking I might want to pick up a copy of Morrowind in the next 24 hours while it's cheap, just to get a crack at this baby. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10964 on: July 20, 2014, 01:02:39 pm »

Alright that DOES look amazing. Good thing I have Morrowind GOTY in my Steam Library. I haven't really played it because it's just pretty dated imo.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 896