Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1549972 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11640 on: December 04, 2014, 02:37:05 pm »

Well, my main one is 100% vanilla, so no mods required there. He's carrying overpowered exploity enchanted things, though. So, would we pass around a save file on dropbox or something?

More along the lines of people uploading their saves onto a file share site, then follow it with a list of mods.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11642 on: December 05, 2014, 09:10:19 pm »

I like his take on the faction system. I'd say less limits but more the game needs to point out conflicts in your actions. Not too sure about his suggestion on the skills, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11643 on: December 06, 2014, 03:32:55 am »

I can't really bring my self to listen past him asking for destructible terrain. It's an unsolved problem, likely not worth the effort to solve it, and doesn't actually add anything to the game other than the ability to bypass obstacles.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11644 on: December 06, 2014, 03:51:01 am »

I stopped watching when he said something along the lines of "you can take a branch off a tree and it'll grow back after a couple days"
I mean, it would be awesome, but there's literally no way that would happen. Elder Scrolls is an adventure RPG(or something like that), and really destructible terrain has to be the main focus of a game in order to work properly.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11645 on: December 06, 2014, 04:43:17 am »

Destructible terrain was in "The Elders Scrolls: Arena" with the Passwall spell, but right there you can see the issue with it. Well, maybe not issue but having the player able to bypass an entire level by burrowing through the walls is, while neat, also kind of counter to building the levels and any puzzles they contain.

I think what I'd like to see the most for the next one is somewhere strange and new. Morrowind had the nice setting of Vvardenfell with the ashlands, swamps and grasslands but it also had the details like bowls made out of giant beetle shells, the mushroom towers and giant fungus trees, Ald'Ruhn's giant crab shell buildings and the kwama mines.

Creating the culture of the people who live in the area I think is a nice exercise for the developers. Skyrim borrows rather heavily from existing nordic\viking culture. Maybe they could've had a larger interaction between the nords and giants with large paved roads leading between their camps or the need for huge ditches around the Nordic cities to deter giant raids. Just some more things to show this isn't Earth.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11646 on: December 06, 2014, 05:01:53 am »

I'd like to see the more tropical lands. Like the Khajit lands. Or the Argonian lands.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11647 on: December 06, 2014, 10:14:51 am »

Well, graphics stuff I've got are;
"Climates of Tamriel" (A mod that adds more weather effects and the like),
"Footprints" (adds footprints when walking in the snow and ash.).
"Inconsequential NPCs" (recommended to me by someone here a few pages back. Adds random, no purpose NPCs to towns to act as filler)
"Realistic Lighting Overhaul" (Though only the exterior and dungeon parts. I found it made inside of houses far too dark. I'm more accepting of having to use a torch inside dungeons)
"Water 2.1" (changes water in the game as well as adding waves to the coast and effects to rivers for flow direction)
"Wet and Cold" (adds some effects like blizzards slowing you down, NPCs wearing hoods while it's raining, backpacks, cloaks and hoods etc)
"A Quality World Map" (adds visible roads to the world map. I believe it can also add territory boundaries).

Other than that there's;
"Moonlight Tales" (Werewolf mod. I got it because I wanted being a werewolf to be a bigger inconvenience. It has forced transformation on full moons as well as a small chance every night. Also a number of new skins and eye colours),
"Werewolf Perks Extended" (adds a few more perks to the Dawnguard tree; more claw damage, stronger howls etc),
"Better Vampires" (changes things for vampires. I haven't actually had a vampire character yet so I haven't seen the effects of the mod),
"Better Fast Travel" (not so much better as more restrictive. Removes map fast travel and adds carts to towns and villages and boats at coastal areas),
"Civil War Overhaul" (adds more events with the civil war quest line. Apparently it's stuff that wasn't finished in time for Skyrims release),
"Cutting Room Floor" (adds a few NPCs that weren't included, as well as a few dialogues that never occurred in the base game).
"Immersive Armours" (not really immersive as much as it adds a bunch of new armours with crafting functionality.
"Immersive Weapons" (same as above. Includes some weapons from Morrowind).
"Moonpath to Elsweyr" (mod that takes place in Elsweyr. Only briefly looked into it with a character that was too weak to survive. Level 10 or higher from what I saw.)
"Daedric Lord Armour" (Adds the Daedric armour from Morrowind to Skyrim. Craftable and also includes the Face of Inspiration and Face of Terror masks. This is awesome to behold and probably my favourite mod despite its simplicity.
"Requiem" (I'm trying this one out now. It greatly changes how Skyrim is played. Removes levelled creatures and loot rewards, combat is very deadly with no health regeneration, some perks require you to read books before they can be gained or to have certain ingredients in your inventory, stamina drains while running and also if you're wearing heavy armour and don't have the first perk in the heavy armour tree. You'll need to take your time with it and I don't really recommend it for a first playthrough. Enjoy Skyrim as an action RPG first than maybe move to this but I recommend reading through the manual PDF first to understand the new mechanics.

There's also "SkyUI" (changes the user interface to a more PC usable one) and "SKSE" (A script extender). Both of these are needed by most of the mods listed by me here.

I also have the series of "Unofficial X Patch" mods. Bug fixes for the base game and DLC. There was a mod I used called "Character Creation Overhaul" that gave race bonuses and permanent birth signs but I disabled it because it wouldn't have worked with "Requiem".

I did download a mod called "Skyrim Flora Overhaul" and, while it looked nice with the trees and such, I ended up uninstalling it because it was too much for my computer. I have 4gb of RAM, Windows 7 32bit.

As of this moment, all these mods work fine together for me. I've only had a few crashes since I installed "Requiem" and I'm guessing that's because of the larger amount of scripts running.

Any questions on these, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer as best as I can.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11648 on: December 06, 2014, 10:17:14 am »

Welp, I finally caved and bought Skyrim. Last time I tried modding it when playing through steam family share, I screwed something up enough that I got blasted by an ice spell and it dropped my stamina to 0/NaN, so I'm not really excited to go trying that again.

Does anyone have a favorite mod compilation for immersion/difficulty/stuff? I know I should really just do the legwork myself, but. :X

Here's a short selection of my mod list:

Loot and Degredation
iNeed
Auto Unequip Ammo
When Vampires Attack
iActivate
Dead Body Collision
Unlimited Bookshelves
Relighting Skyrim
Inconsequential NPCs
Interesting NPCs
No Spinning Death Animation
Winterhold Ruins Expanded
Birds and Flocks (Grab Hearthfire edition if you have that DLC)
Crimson Tide - Blood
Border Sense
Wet and Cold
Wet and Cold - Ashes
Alternate Start - Live Another Life
Familiar Faces
Pick Up Weapons - Fast Equipment Weapons
A Quality World Map with Roads (specifically, the parchment looking one)
Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11649 on: December 06, 2014, 01:31:09 pm »

Welp, I finally caved and bought Skyrim. Last time I tried modding it when playing through steam family share, I screwed something up enough that I got blasted by an ice spell and it dropped my stamina to 0/NaN, so I'm not really excited to go trying that again.

Does anyone have a favorite mod compilation for immersion/difficulty/stuff? I know I should really just do the legwork myself, but. :X
Here's your handy dandy reference guide for all your Skyrim modding needs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11650 on: December 06, 2014, 04:20:09 pm »

Hunterborn is a good mod too - makes killing animals more interesting than "Ooh a wolf pelt and a garnet ring!"

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11651 on: December 06, 2014, 04:31:55 pm »

Here's your handy dandy reference guide for all your Skyrim modding needs.
There's no better place to start for a beginner modder, but I'm sure there are few gems that haven't (yet) been put on that list. Compability though...

"Requiem" (I'm trying this one out now. It greatly changes how Skyrim is played. Removes levelled creatures and loot rewards, combat is very deadly with no health regeneration, some perks require you to read books before they can be gained or to have certain ingredients in your inventory, stamina drains while running and also if you're wearing heavy armour and don't have the first perk in the heavy armour tree. You'll need to take your time with it and I don't really recommend it for a first playthrough. Enjoy Skyrim as an action RPG first than maybe move to this but I recommend reading through the manual PDF first to understand the new mechanics.
I'm trying it too but having lot of trouble getting my "must have" mods stable with it. Still very much prefer SSS for better compatibility with more "vanilla like" system (not that that's necessarily a good thing) compared to completely redone Requiem system.

ASIS IS another mod that makes playing much more fun, I highly recommend it to anyone who's bored at always facing the same enemies at the same place over and over again.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11652 on: December 06, 2014, 05:05:49 pm »

I'm given to understand that if you play with Requiem it's probably easier to just not use most other mods. It'd not the most inter-compatible, even as overhauls go.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11653 on: December 06, 2014, 06:04:23 pm »

I need to get the DLCs. Dawnguard and Dragonborn both look freaking awesome.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11654 on: December 06, 2014, 06:14:16 pm »

I need to get the DLCs. Dawnguard and Dragonborn both look freaking awesome.

Dragonborn IS freaking awesome, but Dawnguard is meh in comparison to valnilla or Dragonborn. Plus Dragonborn has the nolstalgia factour going for it, since it takes place in Solstheim.

Dragonborn > Dawnguard.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 896