Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550184 times)

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11655 on: December 06, 2014, 06:40:58 pm »

I'm given to understand that if you play with Requiem it's probably easier to just not use most other mods. It'd not the most inter-compatible, even as overhauls go.
Easier, yes. But also boring. I can't imagine playing without Open Cities, Frostfall, RND and several others.

Requiem is nice and all and I like the idea behind it, but some mods are Must Have for me, I can't play the game without them. It's just the patching of them that's lot of work to do.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11656 on: December 06, 2014, 06:42:24 pm »

A few of the mods I run that don't make huge changes to the balance of the game below.

SkyUI - Replace the clunky consolized vanilla UI with a much better one. Also a requirement for a fairly large number of mods due to it's in game mod configuration menu. It is very likely a good idea to install SKSE first as it enables a lot of functionality and is required by many mods.

Unofficial Skyrim Patch - Pretty much essential. Fixes huge numbers of bugs left in the vanilla game. Pay careful attention to the mod page where it tells you how to set up the load order and follow it. If you have the DLC's grab the corresponding patches as well linked on the main mod page.
This page Lists a number of additional fixes that for one reason or another are not included in the unofficial patch. Several require SKSE, while some, such as the flora respawn fix, cannot be removed from a save that will continue to be played.

Missing Apprentices - Readds a cut minor mages guild quest, almost all of which was left in the game.
Pure Waters - Adds much clearer water textures. There is a version on the workshop here, but it doesn't support the DLC areas.
Lanterns of Skyrim - All In One - Adds lanterns in the settlements of Skyrim and periodically along the main roads.
Point The Way - Adds signposts at most road junctions so you don't need to keep hopping to your map to see if you are going the right way. May be worth using a texture replacer for the signs such as Roadsigns Redone as the vanilla signs are not easily readable.
Run For Your Lives & When Vampires Attack - make civilians flee to safety instead of being suicidal during dragon or vampire attacks. Actual combatants such as guards, companion members, mages, etc will still stand and fight.
Gildergreen Regrown - Makes for a a prettier resolution of one of the Whiterun side-quests.
Bring Out Your Dead - Adds graves for pretty much all named NPC's if they die, in the cities and villages of Skyrim.
Uncle Sheogorath's Really Helpful Hints and Tips. - Replace those dull loading screen messages with far better ones. There was a sequel for the various DLC loading screens but it seems to have vanished off of the net. If anyone is interested in a copy I can put it up on dropbox or something. Also this mod spawned fanart.
The Paarthurnax Dilemma - Gives you a third option to the conclusion of the Blades quest-line.
Stones of Barenziah Quest Markers - Adds quest markers for what can become one of the more annoying search quests. Toggle it on if you can't recall if you grabbed the stone from a particular dungeon after picking up a dozen of them already, although possibly leave until second or later play-throughs.

One thing to pay attention to if you use SKSE is that you launch Skyrim via skse_loader.exe in the Skyrim directory while Steam is running, not from within Steam itself.

If you use mods from the Workshop when using SKSE, you will need to open the normal Skyrim launcher from Steam in order to download or update them correctly and to set the correct loadorder(unless you set that manually or with another tool, in which case don't click on datafiles).
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11657 on: December 06, 2014, 07:10:39 pm »

Oh, Sheogorath. You're always here to help us.

Or murder us.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11658 on: December 08, 2014, 12:09:44 pm »

So my new beast gaming rig should be ready in a week or two, and I think it's time to Skyrim like I've never Skyrimmed before!

It's been a couple years since i've checked out the mod scene though. Would someone mind listing the must-haves, particularly on the realism/immersion/survival front?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:45:01 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11659 on: December 08, 2014, 12:30:07 pm »

Skyrimmed
I'm furiously thinking of a perverted joke atm.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11660 on: December 08, 2014, 03:23:59 pm »

Skyrimmed

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11661 on: December 08, 2014, 03:27:14 pm »

Skyrimjob.

ANYWAYS.

Would someone mind listing the must-haves, particularly on the realism/immersion/survival front?

Is like, SkyUI still to the go to UI mod?
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11662 on: December 08, 2014, 03:27:33 pm »

Yeeep. Definitely.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11663 on: December 08, 2014, 03:28:10 pm »

Skyrimmed

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
In this context?  That gives a whole new meaning to the love of God.

Would someone mind listing the must-haves, particularly on the realism/immersion/survival front?

Affirmative.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11664 on: December 08, 2014, 03:56:54 pm »

Affirmative.

I'm curious, are there any others?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11665 on: December 08, 2014, 05:43:21 pm »

Affirmative.

I'm curious, are there any others?

A lot of good mods seem to require SkyUI, and I haven't seen mention of others.  I think there are some mods for SkyUI itself though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11666 on: December 08, 2014, 05:53:33 pm »

If you're getting a new gaming rig, go and look for some HD textures.

Here's a link to some.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11667 on: December 08, 2014, 06:06:20 pm »

Actually, you know, since I have a new PC, I'm gonna go ask for a little list.

I'm not looking for any major overhauls or anything. I'm planning on getting the open cities mod and HD textures and realistic lighting (and MAYBE the mod that adds hunger and thirst and such that I don't remember the name of). Is there anything else that makes it more immersive? And no, I don't want the SkyUI mod. I actually prefer the original UI, myself.

Gamespot made this video on their top 5 mods of the week, that one being specifically about immersion mods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11668 on: December 08, 2014, 06:47:37 pm »

I'm thinking about all the research it will take and I'm already getting tired.

What's the big mod manager these days? Nexus Mod Manager?

Oh good! Former me remembered how much of a pain in the ass this constantly is, so here's a list I spent way too long making. The links are all probably shit now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just looking at it I imagine half of those are discontinued.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:54:16 pm by nenjin »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11669 on: December 08, 2014, 07:06:27 pm »

So I was trying to initialize the creation kit.  Get an error about 'assertion' of some kind, hit 'retry', and it didn't return.  Then, whenever I try to load up the Skyrim.esm data (with and without the Update.esm), the kit crashes.  What's going on?

Edit:

Assertion error text is as follows:

Assert

File: C:\_Skyrim\Code\TESV\TES Shared\FileIO\TESDataHandler.cpp

Line: 1054
Invalid Y coord passed to TESDataHandler::NewCell

'Abort'      'Retry'     'Ignore'
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:09:13 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 896