Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559138 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11715 on: January 12, 2015, 11:41:11 am »

Quick question--why can't I forge ebony weapons, etc, despite having the ebony smithing perk?  Ebony does not even show up on the smithing menu.  Bug?  Am I missing something?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11716 on: January 12, 2015, 12:57:39 pm »

Quick question--why can't I forge ebony weapons, etc, despite having the ebony smithing perk?  Ebony does not even show up on the smithing menu.  Bug?  Am I missing something?
Are you using mods? If so, which?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11717 on: January 12, 2015, 01:45:49 pm »

Hey Vendayn, what city building mod do you use? It sounds pretty cool.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11718 on: January 12, 2015, 04:04:49 pm »

Nope, no mods.  There appears to be no option for ebony smithing in the menu.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11719 on: January 12, 2015, 07:46:50 pm »

Hey Vendayn, what city building mod do you use? It sounds pretty cool.

I was using RTS, which lets you make a huge city with up to 200 NPCs (lol, I wouldn't go that high though, the lag be game breaking and break my saves). But I ended up removing it, because it is too out of date, never finished and was very bad for stability. And it was kinda lame and broken.

I also tried pocket empire, but that was even worse than RTS for stability and was even more broken. I haven't used that in a while, but its long been abandoned.

So I ended up sticking with Tundra Defense, which was actually finished unlike the others...lets you recruit guards and citizens (so pretty much like what RTS did anyway, but better). Can build farms, build houses (and collect tax) and all kinds of stuff. Stability is a bit iffy if you get too many guards, get a dragon (which is even worse) and all the people on top of that. But it doesn't cause crashes by having it installed like the other strategy mods do. Don't go crazy and hire 50 guards, dragon and magic people...yeah...reloaded that save :P

Then there is Guild Starter, which lets you have your own guild. I kind of wish it was more involved though, its pretty much acts like WoW's new outpost thing (which I thought was just another version of farmville or one of those clash of clan games)...hire npcs...tell them to go do something and they disappear and randomly appear with random items. Guild Starter is kinda nice I guess, and its really stable. It isn't the best mod, but its not bad either.

I find Real Estate to actually be the best alongside Tundra Defense. You buy (or get lucky and find) a book, do a miniquest...and then buy properties all around Skyrim. They cost a lot, but you make money back each game month I think (or maybe its a game week, don't remember).

Other mods I like are 101bugs, which add a ton of insects and makes ants look better. It also doesn't cause crashes or stability issues. I did a good test on that one. It is a 2012 mod, but has no problems (very few scripts). One of the few 2012 mods that actually still work. My mod list is huge and heavy, and it works great. Plus makes alchemy a lot better...*fighting a dragon* "hey look a pretty butterfly" *runs off and chases it as dragon pwns village*

I also really like Animallica - Skyrim Wildlife Overhaul...no scripts at all, and adds a ton of animals. Vastly better than the other two mods that add/change animals (don't remember their names, but they decreased stability A LOT and had massive bugs)... Works great with...

Hunterborn+Hunting in Skyrim (both work together, with a tiny bit of manual fixing to do in-game, with one/two hunting in skyrim quests...one of the mods says what to do in their description). Best hunting mods.

I use frostfall, but I dialed all the settings back. Only .1 exposure rate (so I do worry about cold, but it isn't lame like 1.0... .4 works too, but was still fast for me. And I don't really want to deal with exposure and cold that much it ruins gameplay. But .1 works great, and I get all the other features of frostfall. I also turned off freezing water is lethal, cause that was VERY VERY annoying)

Avoid wet and cold, that is far too taxing on my most mod setups. This is a big one that ruins a lot of peoples games (understandably not everyone, but it is one of the big sources of stability issues).

For monsters, you can use skyrim immersive creatures (or maybe its monsters not creatures) or the better skyrim monster mod. Monster mod includes a bunch of copyrighted monsters (which made nexus remove the mod), but includes pretty much everything immersive creatures does and a lot more. Monster mod is a lot better imo, and the monsters are really awesome (even though they are from other games, which is probably why I think they are amazing lol)...plus I found immersive creatures decreased my stability a lot and monster mod does not.

There is a lot of other mods I use, and it would be far too long for a forum post to go into each one. If you want other mod suggestions, just ask what type you are looking for (that I didn't already list). There are other mods I like that let you have your own mill (that you have to rebuild) and a bunch of other ones kinda similar to that.

My game is sorta like a business, economy, hunting, Sims, clash of clans (tundra defense), survival, necromancy/undeath, druid, simulator all in one lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11720 on: January 12, 2015, 09:20:10 pm »

Nope, no mods.  There appears to be no option for ebony smithing in the menu.

I seem to recall this being a very rare obscure bug that no-one was able to reliably reproduce.

Do you have a save from before you put the perk point into ebony smithing? If so try activating the perk on that save and see if the ebony craft options show up at the forge.

May be worth trying out using the console to readd the perk.
I'm assuming here that Ebony Smithing is the highest perk you have spent a perk point on in the smithing skill tree, if not we would need to remove the higher perks first.

Make sure you have a copy of your save first.

Open the console(use the key to the left of 1 on your keyboard) and enter "player.removeperk 000cb412" (without quotes)
Close the console, save and exit completely out of the game. - Shouldn't strictly be necessary, but it forces the game to load it's data fresh from the save.
Start the game again and load that save.
Open the console and enter "player.addperk 000cb412" (again, without quotes) and close the console.
Check at a forge if the ebony recipes show up in the forge.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11721 on: January 18, 2015, 02:51:27 am »

So my Colorcross headset arrived today.  It's basically a headset for use with Google Cardboard that's a bit nicer quality.  Made of plastic with a couple adjustable bits, and a nicer headstrap.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try and get it working with Skyrim, using Trinus Gyre and Vireio.  I have a Galaxy Note 3, which is the same display used in the Oculus Rift DK2.  So in theory, this should be a VR headset almost equal in functionality to the Oculus Rift... just less polished, and lacking positional tracking (can't lean forward and stuff).

Also going to try Perkus Maximus, the spiritual successor to SkyRe.

Will report successes and failures!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:54:40 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11722 on: January 25, 2015, 07:07:32 pm »

Alright, just spent the last 2 hours building a new mod list. New computer is about to get its real trial by fire. Going to organize it by type and loading order real quick. If anyone feels like glancing at it and giving it their quality/compatibility experiences, I'd appreciate it. Not even sure I'll get to play tonight after all the setup is done, but it'll be worth it.

edit

Here it is. Comes in at around 70 mods or so.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:46:52 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11723 on: January 25, 2015, 09:07:32 pm »

Hrmmm. Considering getting SkyRE. Gonna install a buttton of mods first.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11724 on: January 26, 2015, 11:32:14 am »

Looks like you have Vurt's Floral Overhaul twice in that list(9 and 12)

Lanterns of Skyrim, did you grab the Climates of Tamriel preset for this from the nexus page, here?

Uncle Sheogorath's Hints and Tips, do you have the second one that replaces the dlc loading screens? As far as I can tell that has disappeared from the net. I threw up a copy on my dropbox here if you want to grab it.

Pure Waters has a landscape textures (HD) for water areas pack in the files area for the mod on the nexus you may want to have a look at as well.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11725 on: January 26, 2015, 11:36:03 am »

I don't think I grabbed the presets yet. After I posted that I spent another ~6 hours downloading mods and reading mod pages and cleaning up the mod list. I finally got everything downloaded through NMM, and I'm just now starting the installs. So basically, I'll need to go back and read every single mod page again to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thank god I found BOSS though. That should make life a lot easier when I'm finally ready to actually launch the game.

Christ, DF requires less prep work and reading than this. And that's saying something. Thanks for putting those files up.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11726 on: January 26, 2015, 12:12:14 pm »

BOSS was replaced by LOOT a while back. https://loot.github.io/

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11727 on: January 26, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »

Well then, I guess I'll be giving BOOT the boot for LOOT when I get home.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11728 on: January 26, 2015, 04:01:49 pm »

I didn't find LOOT good in a heavy mod list.

Same mods, used LOOT...massive problems in-game. CTDs all over the place and at the menu and in-game, low FPS, bugs everywhere.

New game obviously.

Used BOSS, organized some mods manually...not one problem, good FPS and no bugs everywhere.

That is just my experience for my mod list.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11729 on: January 26, 2015, 04:02:58 pm »

I lost my HDD over the holidays, not looking forward to redownloading the substantial number of mods I require to make the game playable.  Oh well, I could be trying to reinstall the truly idiotic number of Oblivion or Fallout 3 mods I had.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 896