Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558369 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11985 on: March 14, 2015, 05:24:07 pm »

It's odd though as they are supposed to be part of the Aldemeri Dominion, and so should get at least somewhat tarred by association with the Thalmor as the Altmer do, but absolutely no one seems to treat them as such.

It's subsumed under the general Nord insult of just being Elven.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11986 on: March 14, 2015, 06:25:54 pm »

Obligatory:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Every time I see it, I can't help but think, "Thank you C0DA, for making this canon."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11987 on: March 14, 2015, 06:30:22 pm »

C0DA doesn't make anything canon. Canon is irrelevant and C0DA is just sort of an in-universe way to say that.

Except for that. That is canon.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11988 on: March 14, 2015, 06:53:37 pm »

Fair enough. "Thank you, C0DA, for making this as valid an interpretation of the material as canon is."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11989 on: March 14, 2015, 06:55:07 pm »

Nono, there's no canon. At all. There's the games, there's the books, heck, maybe ESO is somewhat separate.

ESO BEST LORE (except maybe morrowind)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11990 on: March 14, 2015, 07:04:55 pm »

Fine. "Thank you, C0DA, for making this as valid an understanding of the setting as the games, the books, and ESO depending on its relation to the other two." We're going to keep doing this until I get it right.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11991 on: March 14, 2015, 08:33:00 pm »

"Thank you, C0DA, for something."  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11992 on: March 14, 2015, 08:36:31 pm »

Fine. "Thank you, C0DA, for making this as valid an understanding of the setting as the games, the books, and ESO depending on its relation to the other two." We're going to keep doing this until I get it right.

Yeah, that's about it. As valid, except that nobody will take it seriously.

I would sure love to see a story written in said universe, though, heh.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11993 on: March 14, 2015, 09:28:51 pm »

Yeah, that's about it. As valid, except that nobody will take it seriously.

I would sure love to see a story written in said universe, though, heh.
If only I could muster up the dedication to do so...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11994 on: March 15, 2015, 12:50:06 am »

Skyrim is, lore-wise, between the size of Germany and the size of Germany and France combined IIRC.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Segregation of gameplay and story. The lore version of Skyrim is properly country-sized. The gameplay version is tiny, and makes it look so easy to just move out of your home when everything is just a short walk away.

Also, nowadays moving from city to city is easier with cars, but back in the old days people would spend days and days on the road, probably getting robbed by bandits. It's hard enough being a refuge and forced out of your home, so once you find a place that's somewhat friendly and probably get a home no matter how crappy, you're not going to self-exile yourself again and then spend more time trying to find a "better" town without even the certainty that you'll be ble to live there.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11995 on: March 15, 2015, 11:15:53 pm »

I just realized something as I was thinking about crappy AI in most games.

Is it me, or did Oblivion have better AI than Skyrim?

I mean...in Skyrim you have piniata wolf packs waiting for you to come kill them and a lot of MMO style stupid AI like bandits that stand around for you to get candy out of their corpse.

Now maybe its because I haven't played Oblivion in a long time...but I recall the AI was a lot more realistic, and travelled around a lot more and was better scripted than Skyrim was. I don't recall running places and seeing piniata WoW style training dummies standing in locations for hours and hours and months in games...for you to come kill them. I do recall bandits standing around, but they actually roamed around their camps and fort, but in Skyrim they literally just stand there doing nothing. There is of course vampire caves and stuff where they tend to stand around. But that happens in Skyrim too.

Am I remembering Oblivion wrong? I'm not talking about modded either, talking just vanilla game. Modded skyrim you can fix most of the AI issues to make it a lot more realistic, since the mods are a lot more advanced overall. But vanilla skyrim, the AI seems really shitty compared to Oblivion in the exterior places (both games have pretty bad interior AI)...unless like I said...I'm remembering Oblivion AI wrong.

I don't really see many games with good realistic AI. Modded Skyrim has amazing AI (probably one of the best), Ryzom (MMO) has realistic AI...Tabula Rasa had good AI. But so many games, the AI is just there as a piniata lol.

At least there is mods for that :P
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:21:52 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11996 on: March 15, 2015, 11:33:14 pm »

Not... really? I mean, you don't see the imperial messengers riding around on the roads in Skyrim, but other than that it was pretty much the same. Random wild animals in random places, occasionally packs of baddies standing around outside in ruins, and that was that.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I actually think Skyrim has more AI outside doing things, since pretty much every non-city location in Oblivion was one or two dinky towers hiding the entrance to yet-another-identical-dungeon. You'll also see Skyrim AI doing stuff--sneak up into a bandit or Forsworn camp and there'll be one working the forge, a couple sleeping, a couple patrolling around the walls and towers, &c.

Though the Oblivion AI was better in terms of dynamic conversation between actors.

3. Run Resize Enable

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11997 on: March 15, 2015, 11:36:36 pm »

Though the Oblivion AI was better in terms of dynamic conversation between actors.

Mudcrabs.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11998 on: March 16, 2015, 12:04:35 am »

The stuff you described there is literally just one AI routine, "sandbox". They just added more ways for actors to interact with objects in the world. Unfortunately, they also gimped schedules a lot. For example, on the 7th of every month, you could find Quill-Weave, an Argonian from Anvil, walking on the road. You could follow her and find that she's going to visit Casta Scribonia, another writer in Chorrol; you can then watch her stay the night at Casta's place and head back to Anvil. If you kill Casta Scribonia, she will not make the trip, as she has no reason to go to Chorrol. She also goes to a formal dinner that Milona Umbranox holds every Sundas and Loredas. Skyrim doesn't have anything like that, AFAIK, and you can find something like that practically every other day in Oblivion.

Prequel is actually really indicative of why I like Oblivion better than Skyrim. Oblivion actually gives you enough of the individuals' schedules and enough dialogue that you can fill out a personality for each one you meet, and Prequel really manages that. Quill-Weave is a fairly major character in that, and the formal dinner with Umbranox is brought up as well as her relationship with Casta Scribonia (which, in fact, isn't actually stated outright in the comic at all, and has to be guessed from minor hints in the comic combined with knowledge of this friggin obscure NPC from a single fighter's guild quest in Anvil).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11999 on: March 16, 2015, 01:00:33 am »

That's right, it's been a while since I read up on that and I'd forgotten it.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 896