Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 805 806 [807] 808 809 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558222 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12090 on: April 24, 2015, 12:56:53 pm »

Yes, and with the above mentioned mod, at least you can be secure in the knowledge that almost everyone apart from you can actually survive the attack.  I'm pretty sure that if you have the unofficial dawnguard patch it fixes the vampire attacks before level 10.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12091 on: April 24, 2015, 01:46:55 pm »

So, uh, none of the paid mods are actually there anymore. Well, they're there, but the actual mod pages themselves are gone. All are "no longer for sale."

Either steam is being severely attacked, since a bit ago site was super slow and then steam site went down
Or they are in damage control

The skyrim forums vanished, no mods for paid show up, site has been super slow off/on. Site has gone down/up quite often this morning

Seems its a DDOS attack, unless steam is the one doing it for damage control.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12092 on: April 24, 2015, 01:47:41 pm »

Yeah, it's either a very rapid-response attack, or they're pulling the service. Hopefully the latter.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12093 on: April 24, 2015, 01:54:55 pm »

I dunno, I feel there's been a lot of knee-jerk reactions. Then again it probably would've been better to announce something like this well in advance so there weren't any surprises. Maybe sometime in the future we'll see something better implemented than what we had here. Donations aren't a surefire thing, after all. This would probably be better for larger mods akin to the Napoleonic Wars "mod" for Mount & Blade, but individual weapons or a costume... not so much.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12094 on: April 24, 2015, 02:01:07 pm »

Yep, most of the front page of paid mods was literally the nickel-and-dime bullshit with $0.89 swords here, $3.99 skimpy outfits there, &c. that you'd expect to see from an MMO gold shop.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12095 on: April 24, 2015, 02:03:19 pm »

I dunno, I feel there's been a lot of knee-jerk reactions. Then again it probably would've been better to announce something like this well in advance so there weren't any surprises. Maybe sometime in the future we'll see something better implemented than what we had here. Donations aren't a surefire thing, after all. This would probably be better for larger mods akin to the Napoleonic Wars "mod" for Mount & Blade, but individual weapons or a costume... not so much.
An announcement a few months in advanced and then an approval process similar to greenlight would have been so much better than the mess they've created.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12096 on: April 24, 2015, 03:26:46 pm »

Whatever your stance is. Even if you don't read the words, its a funny video. But the words DO make it more funny :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDyXIXyAZq0#t=15
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12097 on: April 24, 2015, 03:28:54 pm »

Next thing: DLCs. Some input from you guys would be nice, preferably before the 27th or so when the sale for the DLCs end. From the sounds of it Dragonborn is the "best" and Hearthstone is (currently) only 2.50 dollars. Vampires never really interested me so I dunno about Dawnguard unless it adds something other than vampires.
Dawnguard adds quite a lot more than Vampires, although you may not realize that it is coming from the DLC. It adds a seperate multi location quest for The Aetherium Forge. It also adds creature variants(mostly at the top end of the level spectrum) for Chaurus, Falmer, Dragons and Spriggans, and these are excluding the variants that are only encountered as part of the main DLC quest. Werewolves are added as potential encounters in the wild, rather than just caged in Silver Hand bases. It also adds a specialized perk tree for yourself if you are a Werewolf.

I'd honestly suggest picking up all three, particularly as when you get to trying out various mods a lot of them will require all the DLC or at least the mod author won't help with support if you don't have them as it just makes it more complex for them to track down problems.

Hm, where is the mod to balance dawnguard vampire attacks?
Here are the two you need, both by Arthmoor who is also the one who posts the Unofficial Patches and Live Another Life as well as many other small improvement mods if you check his workshop page. They are all also available on the Nexus as well as over on AFK mods.
When Vampires Attack - Civilians flee indoors when a Vampire attack occurs.
Run For Your Lives - Civilians flee indoors when a Dragon attack occurs.

An announcement a few months in advanced and then an approval process similar to greenlight would have been so much better than the mess they've created.
It likely would have had a somewhat better reception if they had held off until the next ES/FO game was released rather than adding it to a mature modding scene.

Edit: Also a quote I spotted in the comments of one of the paid mods that's a little amusing :P
"Let me show you the power of modding, born of the internet, where my breath is long replay-ability! I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this game which is mine. I do this for you, gamers, for i love you! Aye, love, LOVE! Even as beta versions, great mods cherished us. For they saw in us, in each of us, the future of Skyrim! The future of GAMING!" And there it is, friends! The ugly truth! We are the children of mods! Mods are the true gods of man! Ascended from code, to rule the realm of PC gaming! The very idea is inconceivable to our Valve overlords. Share the heavens with us? With gamers? HA! They can barely tolerate our presence on Nexusmods! Today, they take away your free mods. But what of tomorrow? What then? Does Steam take your player homes? Your NPC merchants? YOUR VERY HORSE ARMOR MODS? And what do the game developers do? NOTHING! Nay, worse than nothing! Their marketing machine enforces the will of the GabeN! Against it's own people! So rise up!"
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:33:11 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12098 on: April 24, 2015, 03:31:19 pm »

Whatever your stance is. Even if you don't read the words, its a funny video. But the words DO make it more funny :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDyXIXyAZq0#t=15
Oh my god my sides I can't breathe

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12099 on: April 24, 2015, 03:41:45 pm »

"Let me show you the power of modding, born of the internet, where my breath is long replay-ability! I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this game which is mine. I do this for you, gamers, for i love you!"
>implying that modding is CHIM

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12100 on: April 24, 2015, 04:04:58 pm »

This is a dark time for Modding.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12101 on: April 24, 2015, 04:55:03 pm »

"Let me show you the power of modding, born of the internet, where my breath is long replay-ability! I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this game which is mine. I do this for you, gamers, for i love you!"
>implying that modding is CHIM
Well when you put it like that...
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12102 on: April 24, 2015, 04:58:01 pm »

"Let me show you the power of modding, born of the internet, where my breath is long replay-ability! I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this game which is mine. I do this for you, gamers, for i love you! Aye, love, LOVE! Even as beta versions, great mods cherished us. For they saw in us, in each of us, the future of Skyrim! The future of GAMING!" And there it is, friends! The ugly truth! We are the children of mods! Mods are the true gods of man! Ascended from code, to rule the realm of PC gaming! The very idea is inconceivable to our Valve overlords. Share the heavens with us? With gamers? HA! They can barely tolerate our presence on Nexusmods! Today, they take away your free mods. But what of tomorrow? What then? Does Steam take your player homes? Your NPC merchants? YOUR VERY HORSE ARMOR MODS? And what do the game developers do? NOTHING! Nay, worse than nothing! Their marketing machine enforces the will of the GabeN! Against it's own people! So rise up!"
Interesting. I feel compelled to attempt to cast Fury on this guy, from hiding, while a guard is nearby.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12103 on: April 24, 2015, 05:12:12 pm »

I still have no idea what the hell "GabeN" is. I'm assuming a modder, but I have no clue nor do I particularly care.
Seriously? You're participating in a discussion about Steam and Valve and you don't know who Gabe Newell is?

3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12104 on: April 24, 2015, 06:24:21 pm »

I don't think the issue is payment or exploitation or anything like that, I've said before that 25% is a really good cut considering all you're doing is modding pre-existing content and steam does all the actual distribution work.  That's fine.

The problem is dependencies getting fucked up and the fact that 90% of mods are worth less than zero money.  Steam has been turning into a quality junkyard and this is only going to make it worse. 
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 805 806 [807] 808 809 ... 896