Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558249 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12435 on: February 10, 2016, 01:17:08 pm »

Skyrim is pretty awful about player choice. The moment that turned me off to Skyrim is that when you get to Ulfric, you can choose to kill or spare him, and if you choose to spare him then Tullius will just kill him anyway.

I didn't care for Skyrim's writing in general. Nobody seems likable at all in the entire plot. Not the Greybeards, not Irileth, not Legate Rikke or General Tullius or any of the Imperials, not Ulfric or any of the Stormcloaks. Really, who you side with just seems to determine whether you're a bloodthirsty xenophobic asshole or a bloodthirsty colonialist asshole.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12436 on: February 10, 2016, 01:22:23 pm »

Obviously the best choice is to ignore the civil war plot entirely and just peacefully negotiate with the screaming babies for that one point in the main quest.
Black lives matter.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12437 on: February 10, 2016, 01:27:18 pm »

Some of the companions are pretty likeable. Utherd my main meatshield for life.
Then again she doesn't actually say much. That probably helps.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12438 on: February 10, 2016, 01:28:25 pm »

Skyrim is pretty awful about player choice. The moment that turned me off to Skyrim is that when you get to Ulfric, you can choose to kill or spare him, and if you choose to spare him then Tullius will just kill him anyway.

I didn't care for Skyrim's writing in general. Nobody seems likable at all in the entire plot. Not the Greybeards, not Irileth, not Legate Rikke or General Tullius or any of the Imperials, not Ulfric or any of the Stormcloaks. Really, who you side with just seems to determine whether you're a bloodthirsty xenophobic asshole or a bloodthirsty colonialist asshole.
And there's not even an option to be just plain bloodthirsty asshole and take over yourself like FO:NV had.

That's the thing that's keeping me away from reinstalling Skyrim every time I think of that. I just remember how the quests feel more like you command an invisible film crew to start shooting Cool Quest #3269 Scene 1 using NPCs as setpieces which are put back on their shelves like nothing happened, rather than an actual event in the world that would have consequences had you not done your hero thing.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12439 on: February 10, 2016, 01:29:00 pm »

Um, obviously Serana is the best follower, because she's self-aware and refuses to carry your thousand pounds of dragon corpse.
Black lives matter.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12440 on: February 10, 2016, 01:32:53 pm »

Anybody know a good way to turn off the essential status of all NPCs? A mod search some months back turned up little of use, and I had such a grand idea on what I would have wanted to try.

Side note: greatest extent to which I've modded Skyrim in the past includes combining the alternate start mod with improved dragon difficulty and also replacing dragons with Thomas the Tank Engine characters. The first time I observed a vast improvement in gameplay from modding, as a matter of fact, after being thoroughly unimpressed with Frostfall.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:38:17 pm by Harry Baldman »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12441 on: February 10, 2016, 01:56:39 pm »

Anybody know a good way to turn off the essential status of all NPCs? A mod search some months back turned up little of use, and I had such a grand idea on what I would have wanted to try.

Side note: greatest extent to which I've modded Skyrim in the past includes combining the alternate start mod with improved dragon difficulty and also replacing dragons with Thomas the Tank Engine characters. The first time I observed a vast improvement in gameplay from modding, as a matter of fact, after being thoroughly unimpressed with Frostfall.

Have you tried this? INI tweak that means it doesn't matter if a character is set essential, they still take damage and die.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12442 on: February 10, 2016, 03:43:53 pm »

Have you tried this? INI tweak that means it doesn't matter if a character is set essential, they still take damage and die.

I've tried that and some NPCs are still essential. For example, Ulfric Stormcloak (who I kill every game) is essential even with that tweak on. It took a LOT of opening console and entering "kill" as he is selected over and over and over and over (a thousand times over) to finally get him to die. And in the end I had to glitch the game to do it. Its been a while and forgot how, but I think actually I pressed kill, and just wacked him with my big sword over and over as I was also pressing "kill" cheat on him and he finally died lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12443 on: February 10, 2016, 03:44:25 pm »

Honestly I wanted to just be able to go, "No, fuck you all, I'm Dragonborn, your last false emperor was conveniently murdered by the DB, I'm your emperor/ess now."  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12444 on: February 10, 2016, 03:52:39 pm »

wow a dragonborn emperor what a weird concept

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12445 on: February 10, 2016, 04:27:28 pm »

I want a mod that starts an Aldmeri Invasion of Skyrim (or anywhere really) so I can slaughter things with my overpowered character.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12446 on: February 10, 2016, 05:45:20 pm »

Um, obviously Serana is the best follower, because she's self-aware and refuses to carry your thousand pounds of dragon corpse.

Shame you can't marry her(without mods).

Spoiler: But then again (click to show/hide)

I want a mod that starts an Aldmeri Invasion of Skyrim (or anywhere really) so I can slaughter things with my overpowered character.
I too enjoy killing Thalmor. Because the Thalmor deserve everything bad that happens to them. Especially if "everything bad" includes my mace to their face.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12447 on: February 10, 2016, 05:46:30 pm »

serana is such obvious waifu bait that i can't bring her along without puking

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12448 on: February 10, 2016, 05:56:45 pm »

Doing that thing in the Blades questline where you have to walk on the pressure plates with the right symbols on them or fire cannons activate
Lydia pushes me onto wrong pressure plate
Get blown to smithereens by fire cannons
Talos dammit Lydia.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12449 on: February 10, 2016, 06:16:27 pm »

serana is such obvious waifu bait that i can't bring her along without puking

Same here, I get the same feeling in Fallout 4 with pepper penny or whatever.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 896