Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558855 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12825 on: August 17, 2016, 02:43:53 pm »

Hadn't heard the name before, but immediate thought was "Is that thing related nehrim?" Lo and behold, I check and it's the same folks. And now I know it exists.

Really wish this computer could run skyrim worth a damn right now. Nehrim was bloody amazing, and I can only assume the skyrim edition is equally impressive.

... is it any good?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12826 on: August 17, 2016, 02:50:58 pm »

Note: Don't play Enderal as if it's Skyrim.
Have been thinking about trying it. Would you recommend it?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12827 on: August 17, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »

... is it any good?
And since I'm being fair, something about Trump.
Apparently it's the best ever, I mean really quality. Top quality. You won't believe how good these quests are until you try them. I've talked to some people, some expert video game people, and they tell me they were so amazed, they couldn't believe these quests could be so good. It's amazing, really.

(It's going to be some hours before I get the chance to try it, but reports have been good so far. Though apparently it starts off rather more linear than Skyrim.)
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12828 on: August 17, 2016, 02:56:15 pm »

Well I have started downloading it. Do I need just the launcher? Will that download the mod itself, or do I also need to download this 8GB torrent file?

Edit: So yeah you need to download the torrent and then point the launcher at it to install. Pretty smooth process. Easier than the SPM modpack.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:51:38 pm by forsaken1111 »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12829 on: August 17, 2016, 05:08:11 pm »

In other Skyrim-ish news, that huge mod/game Enderal has finally been released. Won't have time to try it for a day or two yet, but it looks pretty interesting.

Sweet mother of hell yes. I really enjoyed Nehrim. Even better is that this one has full English localization. I didn't mind the German VA for Nehrim, but there was a fair amount of text, some conversation subtitles and some book text, that was untranslated.

Note: Don't play Enderal as if it's Skyrim.

Probably true. Playing Nehrim as if it were Oblivion was bad tactics.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12830 on: August 17, 2016, 05:59:55 pm »

Huh, Enderal looks pretty.  Gears are cool.

Me playing Oblivion:
Jump and run through the imperial city a while
Jump and run to each town, visiting each local mage guild and doing their embarrassingly easy and tedious neonate-work
(if dead to bandits or animals, jump and run more)
Return to the Imperial City
Accept your reward of TRUE ULTIMATE POWER via spellcrafting.  Plus a staff of paralysis.
Roam your Empire in guise of a peasant or bard, maybe become master of thief and warrior stuff.  Or murder, whatever, morality is your whim.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12831 on: August 17, 2016, 06:01:29 pm »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12832 on: August 17, 2016, 06:07:04 pm »

Yeah the bird folk still exsist. Khajiit are a magical split from bosmer, like the orcs.
I personaly want to see the magical talking 'house cats' that assist Khajiit in missions and everyday life.
The next elder scrolls game should be on the massive mainland north of skyrim (forgot name) it seems like such an adventure, sea beasts on the way, vampire snakemen that killed every human, great Khajiit.
If the beggining is a colonisation of the land and you are just one of the migrants/ship staff, sea beast attacks fleet boom you are awashed on shore with a buch of others.
Have one really annoying, a la adoring man fan.
Have every shop/inn trader etc as a species we dont identify as, slugmen, dwemer, great Khajiit, the bird race a city of savage xenophobic humans... oh wait skyrim did that
/loregeekmode

1. Khajiit being a split is one possibility and has not been confirmed to be true!
2. Those cats are Khajiit! They are called Alfiq!
3. The northern continent of Atmora is completely dead! Akvair to the east with the vampire snakesmen may or may not be a metaphorical representation of the future! Khajiit-like tiger people may or may be transforming into dragons!
4. Dwemer became stompy death robot, with one known exception!
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12834 on: August 17, 2016, 06:25:23 pm »

Yeah the bird folk still exsist. Khajiit are a magical split from bosmer, like the orcs.
I personaly want to see the magical talking 'house cats' that assist Khajiit in missions and everyday life.
The next elder scrolls game should be on the massive mainland north of skyrim (forgot name) it seems like such an adventure, sea beasts on the way, vampire snakemen that killed every human, great Khajiit.
If the beggining is a colonisation of the land and you are just one of the migrants/ship staff, sea beast attacks fleet boom you are awashed on shore with a buch of others.
Have one really annoying, a la adoring man fan.
Have every shop/inn trader etc as a species we dont identify as, slugmen, dwemer, great Khajiit, the bird race a city of savage xenophobic humans... oh wait skyrim did that
/loregeekmode

1. Khajiit being a split is one possibility and has not been confirmed to be true!
2. Those cats are Khajiit! They are called Alfiq!
3. The northern continent of Atmora is completely dead! Akvair to the east with the vampire snakesmen may or may not be a metaphorical representation of the future! Khajiit-like tiger people may or may be transforming into dragons!
4. Dwemer became stompy death robot, with one known exception!
Nah I don't give two rancid shits I want to go play in Akavir.

Or Summerset Isles, so I can be a Nord and fuck up the Thalmor. Or just Black marsh or Elsjwuueweiwer. Because Khajiit come in some hilarious shapes and sizes.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12835 on: August 18, 2016, 08:18:07 am »

Yeah I can't really get into this enderal mod. It's artificially inflated the difficulty of every task for no discernable reason. I mean why does it take 5-6 hits from a sword to kill a rat, when that same rat can murder me in seconds? It's silly, and not in a good way.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12836 on: August 18, 2016, 09:29:43 am »

They took one of the chief complaints about Skyrims difficulty curve (if you can call it that) and made it worse?

It amazes me how terrible some people are at game design.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #12837 on: August 18, 2016, 10:32:54 am »

Isn't Nirn also the world? Are we infesting a god's dead girlfriend's corpse?
That's never really cleared up.

So are the moons, I believe. It's fun looking up at them on a lovely night and contemplating how they are parts of a divine carcass.

I also think that the stars are holes into the Aetherium, left behind when the Aedra (the good gods with temples in the Empire's cities) gave up their physical existances. Astronomy in Tamriel must be fascinating.

Of course, everything in TES lore is 'I think' to me. That's rather part of the charm, having just a vague idea of what is what. In most games, the lore is straight-forward, perfectly true and very clearly laid-out and explained. Things in the Elder Scrolls are much more unclear, and I like that. It's fun feeling a bit clueless when you're playing, a hero caught up in something much bigger than them.
Mostly correct. Stars are the holes left by the Magna Ge (Magnus' followers, his own exit created the sun) who said "fuck this shit, I'm out" when they found out they'd become mortal if they kept doing what they were doing.

The Aedra themselves are the various other plane(t)s in Mundus, with Oblivion and its plane(t)s being the space between them. By the by, keep in mind that Nirn and Mundus have finite size and mass, but the various aedric and daedric plane(t)s don't. This includes the moons (Lorkhan's body).

Also, "good".

Could this be a representation of the Aedra being mortal and Daedra immortal?
Oblivion is forever and so are all Daedra and their creations, Aedra and their creations end, so its possible that Nirn is a literal corpse
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12838 on: August 18, 2016, 10:38:12 am »

I tried it. There are things that are quite nice about it, but combat is none of them. It took me four tries to get past the first combat, a fistfight. As forsaken1111 mentioned above, the rats ate my face until I stopped using the sword and went with the knife, at which point they died like nothing. It was the third fight, the mud elemental, that proved undefeatable for me. The combat difficulty assumes a level of competence - and patience - from the first fight onwards which feels somewhat unreasonable. I understand the design perspective (this is an Advanced Mod for Advanced Players), but it's a PITA, and I must admit the whole "you only get better at doing something by doing stuff that may or may not involve what you're improving, then reading a book about it" is a model of learning and development that I've always found irritating, forced, and immersion-breaking. It's gamey in all the worst ways. Ugh. I may come back to this - it's pretty and the story doesn't seem as hideously shallow as Skyrim - but it'll be an uphill battle with lots of reloading to enjoy it. Combat in Enderal feels like real-time puzzle solving, and in case it's not obvious, that's not a compliment.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12839 on: August 18, 2016, 11:18:47 am »

What? No. Anu is the Godhead.

Nah, Teneb, the player is the Godhead. The world exist only in his mind, a fleeting fantasy that creates places, people, and meaning. When he wakes from the dream, they cease to exist.

Could this be a representation of the Aedra being mortal and Daedra immortal?
Oblivion is forever and so are all Daedra and their creations, Aedra and their creations end, so its possible that Nirn is a literal corpse

Daedra isn't really immortal, it's more fitting to say they're just not bound by the same rules as mortals as they exist outside of Creation. When mortals die they reincarnate. When Daedra die they just carnate. And in the end, when Akatosh-Lorkhan-Shor-Anduin ends the world and eats it, he will end them as well.

And then the cycle begins again.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 896