Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550044 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12915 on: October 04, 2016, 05:24:25 am »

So with the game's getting easier and easier.

I think for the next game in the series, if it ever happens, you should get the ability to come back to life when an enemy kills you... so long as you haven't died in the last 30 seconds or so.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12916 on: October 04, 2016, 06:34:00 am »

Oh, it'll happen. I mean, EOS is like Bethesdas Flagship Game, except maybe Fallout
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12917 on: October 04, 2016, 06:41:02 am »

Oh, it'll happen. I mean, EOS is like Bethesdas Flagship Game, except maybe Fallout

And to admit they can't make Fallout any easier if they tried.

They already gave you a near indestructible piece of armor that takes damage for you, resists radiation to nothing, and can even make you completely immune to explosives... with a energy source that basically will never run out... with enemies scaled as if you didn't have it.

---

Though perhaps they could implement a similar idea into Eldar Scrolls.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12918 on: October 04, 2016, 09:40:52 am »

Do you play on super easy? FO4 isn't that easy.

EDIT: Then again... Pure melee builds are tough.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12919 on: October 04, 2016, 09:51:34 am »

It's more like the difficulty is mostly frontloaded AND optional.  It's pretty easy to die to sabercats right outside Whiterun when you're starting out.  And trying to sneak with 10 skill just... doesn't work, unless you buff yourself with potions, enchantments, or walk into a wall around a corner until your magic main character powers give you a useful amount of "skill".

Fallout 4 is a little worse yet better because on the one hand you don't get the *choice* to be bad at combat (besides missing out on the INSULTINGLY obvious +damage perks, but even that's irrelevant if you find an explosive legendary).
It's also hard at first too, though.  Well, sorta...  there are entirely unfair enemies with mini-nukes or the deathlaser combat-bot.  Until mid-late game those are just going to kill you occasionally, sometimes with no real warning (literally crested a small ridge once and a bandit turned and nuked me within 3 seconds).  Eventually you can stomp around in anti-explosion power armor, and then yeah there's no real threat.

In Skyrim I had maxed light armor (both by smithing and by skill) and max archery, and yet fights with dragon priests were... tough?  Or at least tricky.  Their spells cut right through armor I think, so I had to slowly grind them down from cover.  I *could* have had some particularly absurd potions with my 100 alchemy, but I usually found dragon priests by accident while exploring... potions have weight :/

Probably the actual issue was that my character wasn't really optimized, I was trying to level *everything*.  So enemies were scaled to someone that could somehow get synergistic use out of 50-ish illusion, destruction, one-handed (skills that are almost literally useless unless maxed and well-perked).

But I wouldn't say that Skyrim is simply "easy" when my character was doing exactly what I wanted him to, stealth archery with decent poisons, and dragon priests were taking 40-50 shots to the face.  And if I didn't abuse geometry to hide, they simply roasted me in 3-4 seconds.

If you play Runescape style and carefully only level the skills you're actually using - yes, then it's mostly easy.  Also I'm not *complaining* about the difficulty, I liked the challenge (and there was always an option to change it).  Though I do wish Destruction magic didn't suck ass (git mods scrub!) and Illusion magic wasn't so binary and meta (what is "level"??  Why can't a spell daze someone if it almost works?  Why can't there be a random factor so there's at least a *chance*?).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12920 on: October 04, 2016, 05:46:54 pm »

In Skyrim I had maxed light armor (both by smithing and by skill) and max archery, and yet fights with dragon priests were... tough?  Or at least tricky

If I had to guess it is because ironically... Archery is the worst way to fight dragons.

Spells can plunge them from the sky and stun them and Melee can use plenty of critical hits and finishers. (melee is the easiest way to fight dragons if you know what your doing... which annoyed me when I watched my friend mow down a dragon in a second... when it would at least have taken me two minutes with spells)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12921 on: October 04, 2016, 05:53:03 pm »

alchemy surely is a good way of income, made more than 5K septims just by travelling from Riverwood to Whiterun and then into Solitude. not counting the loot from killing bandits and wolves on the way.

this with an Altmer "Assassin" (dont have enough skills on stealth to make use of daggers so i just apply poison and strike upfront while i use destruction magic as a suplement).

i dont even have invested on speech perks. maybe i should.

as for the discussion.

Bows are better for stealth, dont expect to take down a dragon with it, they are much more usefull for sniping down enemies while exploring a dungeon.

for dragons i would recomend a Crossbow instead. heavy damage, ignores 50% armor and has elemental explosive ammo. you can also enchant and improve the weapon and it will still keep the penetration bonus.

they only ranged weapon that i think it would compete with that is a full enchanted and improved Dragonbone Bow.

but yeah i've never fought against a lategame dragon because i dont usually do the dragon rising quest nowadays. makes travel easier and its not really required for what you want to do....
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:00:08 pm by xaritscin »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12922 on: October 04, 2016, 06:55:50 pm »

In Skyrim I had maxed light armor (both by smithing and by skill) and max archery, and yet fights with dragon priests were... tough?  Or at least tricky

If I had to guess it is because ironically... Archery is the worst way to fight dragons.

Dragons != Dragon Priests. Dragon Priests are optional(mostly. I think two show up during the main quest) humanoid bosses found in certain dungeons, each has a mask used for some sidequest. They're usually surrounded by Draugr and are pretty damn hard unless cheesed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12923 on: October 04, 2016, 07:02:29 pm »

Dragons != Dragon Priests. Dragon Priests are optional(mostly. I think two show up during the main quest) humanoid bosses found in certain dungeons, each has a mask used for some sidequest. They're usually surrounded by Draugr and are pretty damn hard unless cheesed.

Ohhh those guys! I didn't even know they were that special...

Given I primed in destruction and conjuration I typically just stunned them and used the ice elemental.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12924 on: October 04, 2016, 07:46:05 pm »

I have like 5 of the dragon priests masks, including the heavy armor ones, but i never put them in a chest because I'm paranoid they'll get stolen or glitch out or something.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12925 on: October 04, 2016, 08:08:46 pm »

Buy a house.
Black lives matter.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12926 on: October 04, 2016, 08:10:43 pm »

Honestly this whole time I thought the Dragon Priests were Liches.

I was just playing the game and was like "Where are the dragon priests? are these stronger dragons them?"

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #12927 on: October 04, 2016, 08:16:52 pm »

There are no pure Dragon Priests as all Dragons multiclass.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12928 on: October 04, 2016, 08:20:51 pm »

There are no pure Dragon Priests as all Dragons multiclass.

Filthy power gamers.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12929 on: October 04, 2016, 08:27:04 pm »

I think the first (maybe second) dragon priest I killed had the awesome mask of archery and... I think alchemy?  IE, the absolute best headgear in the game for my character without custom enchantment.
I loved that mask so much that I went out of my way to hunt down the others, even though I would never actually use them ;D

Also, I found it a lot easier to hit dragons with arrows than with spells.  And my arrows, coated in intense poison and fired from stealth, actually damaged said dragons...  Seriously, I tried making a destruction mage 2nd playthrough, it was pure masochism compared to archery or even casual melee.  Particularly after my most powerful Oblivion character was a mage, of course...  They just nerfed magic so hard.  Maybe the Nords are like Orks and their opinion of magic weakened it :P

I think maybe part of my problem is that dragon priests, being undead, are immune (or very highly resistant?) to poison.  I didn't try stunlocking them...  Maybe part of my problem was focusing on fire for extra damage, when I should have been using ice to stun or electricity to mana-drain-
Except I thought undead were immune to cold??  Liches are immune to lightning, or at least they were in Oblivion, and I assume dragon priests are too (maybe not).

I kinda discounted cold spells since... well... it's Skyrim :P  Nords and undead and ice creatures everywhere.  And the shock spells were so hard to aim... I kept the Altmer companion around to cast, but I didn't expect him to do much damage (and I wasn't disappointed).  It was more because he was cute, and it was easier to keep track of him when he kept throwing fireworks like a pixie.  I liked to imagine that the Nord bandits always targeted him first for being an Altmer and a mage, hehe.

Speaking of Nords, I sure got sick of Nord companions shouting "Skyrim is for the Nords!" as we struck down Stormcloaks.  Me being a Bosmer, Khajiit, or hell even a Breton!  Cut it out, assholes!
Though the worst was when I was a Khajiit and we had to fight another Khajiit.  That companion made a fine rug, oh yes indeed.  Haha... no seriously I murdered him.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 896