Bogshire (Blue guys)
- 5 (6.8%)
Stonemeadow (Orange guys)
- 26 (35.6%)
We gonna stick it out on our own!
- 42 (57.5%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 73

Author Topic: Build a village: A New Hope  (Read 145150 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Build a village: A New Hope
« Reply #990 on: September 30, 2011, 02:15:18 pm »

[wise words]
+1

if i may suggest an architectural style, the beehive-shaped mud houses posted a while ago were just lovely
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 30, 2011, 03:05:34 pm »

[wise words]
+1

if i may suggest an architectural style, the beehive-shaped mud houses posted a while ago were just lovely
I think its fine. But Lincoln seems to be very reluctant to implement these. He stated what he exactly wanted: A brick house with wooden frames. I think most of us will regard that as ultra-luxurious for our current needs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #992 on: September 30, 2011, 03:08:59 pm »

[wise words]
+1

I think its fine. But Lincoln seems to be very reluctant to implement these. He stated what he exactly wanted: A brick house with wooden frames. I think most of us will regard that as ultra-luxurious for our current needs.
I don't really. Having a single very well built structure is a good idea. It won't take that long to make it, nowhere near as long as a wall, and we probably have enough bricks and wood.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 30, 2011, 03:15:46 pm »

[wise words]
+1

I don't really. Having a single very well built structure is a good idea. It won't take that long to make it, nowhere near as long as a wall, and we probably have enough bricks and wood.
Unless Lincoln magically says less than 200 bricks and a ton of wood can become a "very well built structure" that would satisfy our needs in the near future, I have to quite bluntly object.

We do have more mud, twigs and timber than we need, yet bricks are a scarce resource. And bricks are not invulnerable anyway - just tricky to break.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 03:47:42 pm by evilcherry »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #994 on: September 30, 2011, 03:17:43 pm »

Eh, whatever. Its not worth arguing this again. Let's just live in crappy mud shacks like savages and do nothing at all with the bricks.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 30, 2011, 03:25:18 pm »

Eh, whatever. Its not worth arguing this again. Let's just live in crappy mud shacks like savages and do nothing at all with the bricks.
It's not as if having bricks and not using them is going to cause us harm. Besides, we need to avoid the fallacy of sunk costs.

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 30, 2011, 03:37:12 pm »

Exactly. Throwing good resources at a bad idea never helped anyone. And that anglo-centric worldview of yours is going to get you in trouble someday, forsaken1111.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 30, 2011, 04:43:52 pm »

Exactly. Throwing good resources at a bad idea never helped anyone. And that anglo-centric worldview of yours is going to get you in trouble someday, forsaken1111.

I love you.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 30, 2011, 04:50:02 pm »

I agree with the beehive mud huts.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #999 on: September 30, 2011, 05:05:58 pm »

Not really sure what you mean by this. I advocated building a brick structure to shelter us from severe weather, something which others have also said. What about this is 'anglo-centric'?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: September 30, 2011, 05:55:18 pm »

I think he was mostly being sarcastic, but playing of the fact that the huts of the "savages" in question are really just the well-adapted and comfortable houses of a non-European culture.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 30, 2011, 05:57:35 pm »

Brick houses are labor intensive and resist environmental extremes poorly, as sharp angles and sheer surfaces cope poorly with wind, rain, and snow. Mud structures insulate better, are easier to construct, and if needed, can be built to blend with the scenery better. Your only objection to them is that they're "Primitive". By whose standards?
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1002 on: September 30, 2011, 06:11:10 pm »

I think he was mostly being sarcastic, but playing of the fact that the huts of the "savages" in question are really just the well-adapted and comfortable houses of a non-European culture.
I wasn't commenting on the picture, I was commenting in the perception ingame that the traders will have of our naked stick-wielding mud-hut-dwelling villagers.

Brick houses are labor intensive and resist environmental extremes poorly, as sharp angles and sheer surfaces cope poorly with wind, rain, and snow. Mud structures insulate better, are easier to construct, and if needed, can be built to blend with the scenery better. Your only objection to them is that they're "Primitive". By whose standards?
I don't object, and never said they're primitive. Can we stop bickering and just build something? I don't even care what any more.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 30, 2011, 09:31:02 pm »

i sugested this
and you argued against
crappy mud shacks like savages
it implies something. for reference and comparission, mud brick might mean something like this
so i'd say that bricks=sophistication isn't necessarily always true

also, arguing that building things out of bricks is anglocentric is actually anglocentric itself. many people built things out of bricks in many parts of the world before people in great britain ever did, and the english architecture, and culture in general, hasn't been that different from that of the rest of europe, so the word you guys are looking for is europocentric, even if it's still a bit fallacious.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1004 on: September 30, 2011, 09:47:23 pm »

Honestly if I had my way we'd uproot the village and live in the ravine in caves like proper dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 73