Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: What if EA got the rights to Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 26266 times)

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What if EA got the rights to Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2011, 11:34:22 pm »

Made me laugh out loud, good job.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2011, 12:31:32 am »

Dont yell at me if that been said so far, but if EA got DF then they would money whore the LIVING HELL out of it. Hell thats what they are doing with BattleField 3 ATM
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2011, 07:37:41 am »

Dont yell at me if that been said so far, but if EA got DF then they would money whore the LIVING HELL out of it. Hell thats what they are doing with BattleField 3 ATM

Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain what you mean by that? Do you feel that Battlefield 3 is something of a deviation away from BattleField 2?
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2011, 05:28:54 pm »

Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain what you mean by that? Do you feel that Battlefield 3 is something of a deviation away from BattleField 2?

I just uninstalled the beta and cancelled my preorder, mainly because it seems to be far more focussed on doing well on your own than as a squad, unlike in previous games.

Two major changes that I think affect this the most:

1. You die very quickly. Most of the times I was killed while playing today, I didn't even have time to see the red hit marker come up.
2. There's no medic. The medic was previously one of the core components of squad-based gameplay, and now healing is largely irrelevant (because you die almost instantly anyway) and reviving is just another way to get points for yourself.

EDIT: Also, the guns feel inaccurate and powerless. Maybe ranking up would solve that, but I don't want to.
Also, bugs. Beta, yes, but bugs. Bugs everywhere.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 05:30:36 pm by Tharwen »
[Signature]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2011, 07:06:31 pm »

I don't think Dwarf Fortress is renown enough for EA to REALLY Cash Cow it so straight forwardly.

Then again... can I really say that X-com is that well known?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2011, 11:51:21 pm »

1. You die very quickly. Most of the times I was killed while playing today, I didn't even have time to see the red hit marker come up.

Since when is this a downside? "Die very quickly" is a good thing in games if you ask me. Look at Red Orchestra (either one) for instance, it requires luck and a poor shot from the enemy so you DON'T die right away. Compare to, say, Call of Duty. Get shot with a 7.62x51 mm round in the chest, and keep going like nothing happened.

I don't think Dwarf Fortress is renown enough for EA to REALLY Cash Cow it so straight forwardly.

EA is known well-enough. And they would be able to market it insanely.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2011, 02:41:17 am »

Watching.
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.

KhaaL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2011, 03:17:46 am »

2. There's no medic. The medic was previously one of the core components of squad-based gameplay, and now healing is largely irrelevant (because you die almost instantly anyway) and reviving is just another way to get points for yourself.

Not to defend EA or put this thread off topic, but you should get your facts straight. Medic is still in, in "assault" kit now. One good thing about BF3 is that snipers scope give reflections that gives them away. I applaud them for that.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2011, 03:38:19 am »

KhaaL, this thread hardly has a topic. It's a vessel for a joke about EA's habits that has been derailed into serious discussion.

Anyway.

Dying quickly is a bad thing because it makes medics less useful, I would assume. If it's all across the board, it cheapens the benefits of seeking headshots instead of bodyshots, meaning the missed shots from spread aren't worth it so you should just spam bullets center-of-mass.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2011, 04:12:03 am »

so you should just spam bullets center-of-mass.

Which is exactly what every real soldier is teached to do because it is the most effective way to kill or at least seriously wound someone.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2011, 05:06:21 am »

Yeah.

I prefer fun to realism in my games. When they're compatible? Great! That's wonderful! Pile on both.

When they conflict, I'll take the fun every time.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2011, 05:14:50 am »

Not to defend EA or put this thread off topic, but you should get your facts straight. Medic is still in, in "assault" kit now.

I know that. I've been obsessively following the game for months now.

I meant that healing has just been shoved off to the side somewhat, and doesn't really have a place any more. The 'bullets-kill-quickly' thing makes healing useless, as Pandarsenic said.

Since when is this a downside?

It means whoever gets the first shot off wins, and there's no time to beat them by being better at shooting. I think a major issue for me was that (either through bugs or lag), the hit markers often weren't showing up at all and I had no chance to react.

I still think the game was quite fun; I just don't want to spend £25 on a pre-order any more.
[Signature]

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2011, 08:04:34 am »

It means whoever gets the first shot off wins, and there's no time to beat them by being better at shooting.

Compare to Red Orchestra: Half the time you don't know where you were shot from, and aroun 30% of the time you spend a life without even seeing a single enemy.

Also, it seems that aim isn't nearly as important as reflexes in BF3 then. But there is one thing that will beat both: tactics. You can not kill what you can not see.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2011, 10:46:50 am »

It means whoever gets the first shot off wins, and there's no time to beat them by being better at shooting.

Compare to Red Orchestra: Half the time you don't know where you were shot from, and aroun 30% of the time you spend a life without even seeing a single enemy.

Also, it seems that aim isn't nearly as important as reflexes in BF3 then. But there is one thing that will beat both: tactics. You can not kill what you can not see.

True. I'm not so good at that bit... In my defence though, the Beta map is very linear.
[Signature]

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2011, 12:51:16 pm »

[emote]rage at EA for ruining everything they touch[/emote]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6