Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 598230 times)

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #615 on: May 25, 2012, 03:07:00 pm »

Ooh, this seems cool. Watching this.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 25, 2012, 03:10:14 pm »

My first thing to do is (until the game develops enough at least), becoming an assassin and killing as many kings as I can before I die!

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #617 on: May 26, 2012, 09:59:38 am »

Furthering my destruction asking, if we throw a living thing into another living thing, i want the possibility of break both their bones, or at least hurting them both. Or even if they are dead, if I swing them around, I would like to think their arm would still break.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #618 on: May 28, 2012, 05:22:54 am »

Niiice. It's the little things that make itinerant characters possible that really add value to a game. I fully intend to start a war by purposefully mis-translating things.

Ever read The History of the Runestaff, by Michael Moorcock? It's all pretty low fantasy (if you ignore the eponymous object), but the elite soldiers of the "good guys" have swords and fire lances (super-early spear-mounted guns/flamethrowers) . Everyone else is still going at it with swords, though. I'd recommend giving that a read. There's only about 100 years between the development of the fire lance and the cannon, and it sits firmly in the 1200s.

I fully intend to make sure that is possible :). I have not, but that's interesting; I'm not sure yet whether I want technology to 'advance', either, or maybe the age of the world you generate could determine the technology in play?!

A little while ago I posted something in the 'games you wish existed thread' about a medieval game where all information had to be collected personally or by one of your subordinates (unless they are common knowledge). Someone posted the following and I just thought that some of it might be something I'd like to see in your game.

So my question is, how close will is the above post to the ideal completed version of your game?
This is with the player being the leader of a primarily political power, although leading an army would still be an option (you can send your subordinates to lead an army while you stay at home right?).

Note that the quoted post has nothing to do with your game or any roguelike/ASCII game at all.

Yes, very close! Things must actually be enacted; the messengers/envoys sent; etc. Similarly, it should be a game of incomplete information, where more information can be gained by sending spies, scouting etc. And if you are in charge, and your army is a long way away, it will take a long time for a) you to contact them, and b) them to contact you with successes/failures etc.

One thing, capture balls, magical capture balls, gotta catch them all. No no, just kidding.

But hey, asking about destruction, personally, I'd like to be able to throw people, if I throw them hard enough, through windows, and maybe even wooden houses, and if I were to throw them off a cliff, maybe break a tree or the roof of a straw hut below. Maybe I'm asking a bit much, but I'd like to see a little destructibility, even if its small if we were to do crazy things like jump off a cliff and plummet into a house below, or throwing people into it, or the simple throwing a stone through someone's window cause we really just don't like them.

Again because of this, a bit of assassin's creed goes a bit of a way I suppose, I'm not saying we need the hidden blades and gadgets, but it would be nice, if people checked you for weapons if you went into a place like a castle. Unless you have rights of a nobleman or otherwise, I would want to make it so people can not just waltz up to the king and stab him. The guards and the king himself would provide a challenge to your unarmored, nonweaponised body. However also give a bit of sneaking, so maybe, just maybe you can sneak a vial of poison, or a dagger, or something small in for such situations.

Also, again personal request, I would like to be able to cuddle things mid-fight. Yes I want to cuddle a bleeding lion, leave me alone!

Furthering my destruction asking, if we throw a living thing into another living thing, i want the possibility of break both their bones, or at least hurting them both. Or even if they are dead, if I swing them around, I would like to think their arm would still break.

Large creatures will be able to throw small; it's not a 0.0.1 objective, but definitely in the reasonably near future. There is destructibility in the basics now; large creatures like Dragons, if running through a forest, will tear trees from the ground, and they will (in 0.0.2) be hurled around and crash into other things, causing an extra threat. I love the checking for weapons idea, and it's actually already on my list! You will not be able to wander around most areas with weapons visible - well, no. If you have a weapon wielded, people will be concerned, but sheathed will normally be fine; but there will be some areas you must be de-weaponed, but I'm sure you'll be able to try hiding something...

when this comes out, the first thing I'm gonna do when I master the controls is grab the cutest animal that is nearby, and snap every bone in it's body, and use it as some sort of weapon, if I can.

beating someone to death with a kitten that no longer has an unbroken bone? yes please!

please!

Haha - I'm afraid there are very few species in the 0.0.1 planned (currently 3, but maybe 4) and none of them are particularly adorable. Which is not to say bones can't be broken...

Ooh, this seems cool. Watching this.

Thanks! :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #619 on: May 28, 2012, 07:22:14 pm »

Today's devblog: following on from the large roguelike units, we now have units 'facing' a certain direction. Whatever next?!

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/05/29/the-march-of-progress/

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 28, 2012, 11:24:05 pm »

Interesting. Can a unit face diagonally, or just the 4 cardinal directions?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 29, 2012, 02:23:26 am »

Will there be an awareness attribute as to sense what is behind you?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 29, 2012, 06:33:45 am »

How will we be able to see other creatures field of view?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #623 on: May 31, 2012, 08:31:30 am »

Interesting. Can a unit face diagonally, or just the 4 cardinal directions?

Yes it can,

Will there be an awareness attribute as to sense what is behind you?

no there isn't, but I am trying to figure out a way to introduce sound in some way,

How will we be able to see other creatures field of view?

no, but you can see what direction creatures are facing and extrapolate,

Haha - I'm afraid there are very few species in the 0.0.1 planned (currently 3, but maybe 4) and none of them are particularly adorable. Which is not to say bones can't be broken...
well, a wolf will do, for now...

and that's good news! :)

FlyingIcarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 03, 2012, 01:56:19 am »

I have recently found this (just now, in fact) and I am, suffice to say, extremely excited for this project.

I would like to ask, will you be able to command forces from a sort of overview map? It could help visualize where your forces will go and such.

Some1fromMKD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 03, 2012, 03:40:56 am »

I have recently found this (just now, in fact) and I am, suffice to say, extremely excited for this project.

I would like to ask, will you be able to command forces from a sort of overview map? It could help visualize where your forces will go and such.

I'd like to see this, but retaining the delay of sent or received messages. Not like all of the RTSs out there where your army magically knows where you want them to go.

Some1fromMKD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 03, 2012, 04:19:38 am »

Also, some questions and suggestions for the dev.

Will combat be just mauling somebody to death by hitting their arms/torso/whatever, or will there be some lethal blows and counterattacks? I would like to see some legendary fighter just plowing through the battlefield with two swords and killing everybody in one lethal hit. And some counterattacking. Something like this
-The swordsman slashes at your head
-You block and counterstrike
-You stab the swordsman through the forehead and into the brain
-The swordsman dies

And some mounted movement. My best idea is horses or other faster than man creatures would take less than a turn to move. Say a rider should take half a turn to move one square while you and other non-mounted people take one. Attacking would also take one turn. So now mounted people can move two squares and attack in two turns (or move one square, attack, and then move one more square), while people on foot can only move one square and attack. This half a turn movement eliminates the cavalry becoming separated from each other while charging. All in all if horsemen are moving slowly (walking) they would take one turn to move one square, and while charging they take half a turn. And now with facing certain directions you can eliminate cavalry from going to somebody, hitting them and then returning back without giving their opponent a chance to fight back if he manages to dodge the attack. You can make charging cavalry take one turn to start facing backwards before they start moving. If this was your idea also, then I am most pleased with this mechanic. If not, can you explain how it's going to work because I'm curious?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:58:22 am by Some1fromMKD »

Sennek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 03, 2012, 08:32:20 am »

no there isn't, but I am trying to figure out a way to introduce sound in some way
How about you do it in a similar way as it has been done in Catacylsm (the roguelike one)? When someone behind your back is making a noise, a "?" mark appears near the source. Or you could add a panel "Hearing" and make messages like "you hear a woman scream south-west" or something.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 03, 2012, 07:39:25 pm »

no there isn't, but I am trying to figure out a way to introduce sound in some way
How about you do it in a similar way as it has been done in Catacylsm (the roguelike one)? When someone behind your back is making a noise, a "?" mark appears near the source. Or you could add a panel "Hearing" and make messages like "you hear a woman scream south-west" or something.

I like the Cataclysm-like idea. Imagine what something like the Teutoburg Ambush would feel like. The ? would begin to cause more fear than a &, at least for me. With the panel though, I think we're going to be having to receive a good bit of information anyways. It's a fine idea, but I think things may start to get a bit cluttered (though I'm not sure how things look anyways, so there may very well be plenty of room for a hearing panel. If there is, that is definitely a solid idea in my opinion).

And adding on to the ? idea, there could be some way to differentiate between what you think may be friend and foe. It wouldn't be 100% accurate though. Maybe have it depend on what intel you have, your terrain, etc. Though I'm no programmer, so that may be a little too much work.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 03, 2012, 07:47:47 pm »

Are there any totally original races? It's always nice to have some kind of distinguishable race that people identify games with, or are just memorable, much like the Bronze colossus, fluffy wambler (and several cave creatures) of DF, or goombas and koopas of Mario, or various other things. They don't have to be completely off the rocker weird, just unique.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 221