Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596230 times)

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #690 on: July 02, 2012, 08:08:02 pm »

I've been watching this since the beginning and I'm looking forward to the first alpha. However, the rivers are a bit of a mess in the cartography update. They really don't seem to travel to the coasts, and while rivers can indeed dry up before they reach the sea, the phenomenon seems far too prevalent here.

I'm more about the rogue-like combat, anyway. It's just an observation.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 02, 2012, 08:39:42 pm »

Dammit URR, I saw that you had posted and assumed it was the release! I'm very disappointed now.

On the other hand, continents looks cool, and I like the contrast with the DF top level maps.

FlyingIcarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 02, 2012, 09:17:22 pm »

Only 7 days, at max! I am incredibly excited now, needless to say.

Anyways, thoughts on technological progression? Could I, perhaps, be in a world where they only discovered stone tools and wood shacks? Or could I show up in a place full of steel armor and castles?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #693 on: July 04, 2012, 04:26:22 am »

I've been watching this since the beginning and I'm looking forward to the first alpha. However, the rivers are a bit of a mess in the cartography update. They really don't seem to travel to the coasts, and while rivers can indeed dry up before they reach the sea, the phenomenon seems far too prevalent here.

I'm more about the rogue-like combat, anyway. It's just an observation.

Interesting; do you mean those that terminate in open land, as it were, or those that reach another mountain or whatever then stop? A lot of rivers stop because they reach higher ground and cannot find a way around, though I suppose the maximum river length value could be upped for some climates. Also, for rivers to combine they need to meet a pretty specific set of conditions; in a later version I'd like to open those requirements up and get more combining, but that would require a lot more map generation work.

Dammit URR, I saw that you had posted and assumed it was the release! I'm very disappointed now.

On the other hand, continents looks cool, and I like the contrast with the DF top level maps.

Sorry! And splendid - I still need a way to show large mountains/volcanoes clearly, though, and I'm also (maybe for 0.1.1; the first release is now going to 0.1.0!) going to add in a few other terrain types like plateaus, maybe highlands, steppe, and (feature bloat for now, but in the future) I'd like to add a way to generate "natural wonders" that are unique/unusual...

Only 7 days, at max! I am incredibly excited now, needless to say.

Anyways, thoughts on technological progression? Could I, perhaps, be in a world where they only discovered stone tools and wood shacks? Or could I show up in a place full of steel armor and castles?

Thanks! It's funny you should mention that; I intend to have the 'human civilization' bar in world generation, which determines the age of human civilization on the planet, have an impact on technology... but more on this later :)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 04, 2012, 04:57:22 am »

I know you said earlier that other creatures can have opinions of you but is it possible to invite intrigue based on these opinions for various nefarious purposes? Say you are commanding a large army can you go all Roman Civil War style by using the loyalty of your soldiers to take over the current head of state and declare yourself dictator/imperator?

Or perhaps if you are in charge of a squad or maybe just friends with fellow soldiers that you can break away from a losing army and defect or become bandits?

I'm just wondering how much of a relationship you can have with other creatures, is it abstracted so it's based on general civ style (so all of a civ's creatures will react to you in the same way) or is it personal(or mixture) so you can cause civil wars and political intrigue or perhaps go Robin Hood style to befriend a village while raiding the empire it is part of?

Some1fromMKD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 05, 2012, 03:01:28 pm »

I've been meaning to ask this for a long time, but I kept forgetting. If we desert from the army we are serving in, will we be chased and executed like animals, or will all be forgiven. You could add a lot more depth to the game if you make it possible to chase deserters of your army and vice versa.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 06, 2012, 02:43:34 am »

However, the rivers really don't seem to travel to the coasts, and while rivers can indeed dry up before they reach the sea, the phenomenon seems far too prevalent here.

Interesting; do you mean those that terminate in open land, as it were, or those that reach another mountain or whatever then stop? A lot of rivers stop because they reach higher ground and cannot find a way around, though I suppose the maximum river length value could be upped for some climates. Also, for rivers to combine they need to meet a pretty specific set of conditions; in a later version I'd like to open those requirements up and get more combining, but that would require a lot more map generation work.

Well, when a river meets highland, it should pool into a lake, till the water can find a way down to the sea. Rivers stretching from one mountain to another look a little odd. You'd typically at least see an inland sea somewhere between the two river sources.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #697 on: July 07, 2012, 05:49:30 am »

I know you said earlier that other creatures can have opinions of you but is it possible to invite intrigue based on these opinions for various nefarious purposes? Say you are commanding a large army can you go all Roman Civil War style by using the loyalty of your soldiers to take over the current head of state and declare yourself dictator/imperator?

Or perhaps if you are in charge of a squad or maybe just friends with fellow soldiers that you can break away from a losing army and defect or become bandits?

I'm just wondering how much of a relationship you can have with other creatures, is it abstracted so it's based on general civ style (so all of a civ's creatures will react to you in the same way) or is it personal(or mixture) so you can cause civil wars and political intrigue or perhaps go Robin Hood style to befriend a village while raiding the empire it is part of?

I hope so; I want to make relationships with individuals, groups and civilizations related, obviously, but there can be variations. Even if you are at war with a civ, some people of that civ might be willing to look kindly upon you if you do something for them, etc. So hopefully a mixture!

I've been meaning to ask this for a long time, but I kept forgetting. If we desert from the army we are serving in, will we be chased and executed like animals, or will all be forgiven. You could add a lot more depth to the game if you make it possible to chase deserters of your army and vice versa.

Almost certainly chased, or at least, not actively chased but put on a Wanted list or similar. I've been doing quite a bit of thinking about systems for morale, loyalty and similar, and things like this could tie in very nicely...

Well, when a river meets highland, it should pool into a lake, till the water can find a way down to the sea. Rivers stretching from one mountain to another look a little odd. You'd typically at least see an inland sea somewhere between the two river sources.

Ah, I can explain what you're seeing. On the world map level, squares have a height of 0-5, and rivers can flow downwards to a square of lesser height, or flow into a square of one height greater, if not a mountain (in which case it carves out a nice valley). When rivers spawn near mountains, they can get near other mountains since those areas have a default height of 4 (only very mountainous regions merit 5). However, I see what you mean; I'll look into a way to reduce rivers coming next to mountains. I might just push mountains up a level, or make sure rivers can't come within a square of another mountain if they intend to terminate there, say. Also, lakes function similarly to inland seas at the moment, but again, at some point I might allow a number of close lakes to pool into a sea, or similar.

In other news, TWO DAYS! There will be some bugs (I have an existing list) but I've decided I'm going to release it on the 9th regardless. I'm going to try and hunt as many more bugs as possible today and tomorrow, then fire it out on the 9th.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 07, 2012, 07:28:02 am »

Looking foward to it! :D
I... Don't really have anything more constructive to say, sadly. I haven't been following the thread all that closely.
 (Seriously, so many posts!)
That means I'm not quite sure what's actually planned for the release, either, so I'll be in for some surprises. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #699 on: July 07, 2012, 08:32:42 pm »

Oh good I am taking a little mini-vacation and you are releasing it on a date where I can spend much time playing it, judging it, then judging you by it, oh yes, good times indeed. P.S. Wont really judge you based on a game you released.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 07, 2012, 08:42:35 pm »

release now and we will help you hunt =)
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #701 on: July 08, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »

Looking foward to it! :D
I... Don't really have anything more constructive to say, sadly. I haven't been following the thread all that closely.
 (Seriously, so many posts!)
That means I'm not quite sure what's actually planned for the release, either, so I'll be in for some surprises. :)

Thanks :). Hope it meets your expectations for a first alpha!

Oh good I am taking a little mini-vacation and you are releasing it on a date where I can spend much time playing it, judging it, then judging you by it, oh yes, good times indeed. P.S. Wont really judge you based on a game you released.

Haha; I wouldn't object if you did in a few year's time, but please withhold 0.1.0 judgement :)

release now and we will help you hunt =)

So close now! So close! Considering ditching combat from 0.1.0 as it's pretty patchy at the moment, and it might be better to focus on everything else in the interim, since it's in a far more basic state than the rest of the game in 0.1.0. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:24:04 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #702 on: July 08, 2012, 01:26:41 pm »

Cancel that; I'll leave them in, but just stress the 'ALPHA' part of the whole thing...

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 08, 2012, 01:30:56 pm »

It may only be the eighth but I keep refreshing the download page!
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #704 on: July 08, 2012, 01:43:56 pm »

It may only be the eighth but I keep refreshing the download page!

I have a big list of features waiting to upload on that page! It'll probably be around midday/early evening tomorrow (UK time) that it'll actually appear, and *hopefully* with Linux/Mac versions as well as Windows, assuming all the compiling goes well...
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 221