Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596291 times)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' (v 0.1.0 finally released)
« Reply #765 on: July 09, 2012, 02:57:56 pm »

Yeah, the only thing I have actually fought is cyclopes I have not seen any wolves, and I run like a little coward from dragons!
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 09, 2012, 03:12:42 pm »

Yeah, the only thing I have actually fought is cyclopes I have not seen any wolves, and I run like a little coward from dragons!
I've met all of them now.  Of course, I've never actually survived a fight, since dragons and cyclopes rip me limb from limb and wolves come in large packs.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 09, 2012, 04:03:57 pm »

Congratulations on your first release! Looking awesome indeed :)

Broke a wolf's leg, and then turned to try and get some distance.

It crashed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 09, 2012, 04:07:05 pm »

I managed to survive a fight with a Cyclops even though it managed to trick me by sneaking up on me and me and spending 3 turns getting hit looking for where that damned thing was (really need sound or some kind of awareness of a few squares behind you), luckily all it managed to do was bruise my armour and lightly damage my leg, then a bit of exploring and I find two wolves , kill one quite easily after poking out an eye and the other one kills me quite easily :(

Next game I get a message about a Cyclops climbing but I can't see it anywhere, then I find it (trying to sneak up on me again!) and hah I damage it, then it hits my head twice to kill me >.< ahh once I get my bow I will dedicate a character to just blinding every Cyclops I see and leave it stumbling about.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 09, 2012, 06:47:11 pm »

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:50:21 pm by redwallzyl »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 09, 2012, 06:49:48 pm »

it seems to close when you put it in 12 by 12 and fullscreen.

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 09, 2012, 07:19:08 pm »

Downloaded .1.1 and it doesn't work.  Specifically, I can load the first screen and see text like "new game, load game, quit, etc."  However, I can only scroll up and down the list.  I can't move to the next screen or even quit the game.  I'm forced to CTRL-ALT-DELETE to get out of game.

I'm running Windows 7 on a wide screen laptop 1366x768.  I wonder if the resolution is a problem, because I can't resize the screen either.  Can someone tell me what the "normal" key to select new game is?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 09, 2012, 07:34:04 pm »

Played 0.1.0 and during the "Saving/Loading chunks" (I think) message, the game started lagging a lot. My computer nearly crashed and I was unable to get task manager open. It took about 5 minutes for it to stop lagging and instead opted to not respond. I was able to close it then using task manager.
I was running from dragons who were destroying trees everywhere. In the middle of the lag, the game proceed to run for a moment to move me around a bit and open the menu. I tried to go to quit using the menu, since the X button didn't work. When attempting to quit, the game stopped responding and that was when I was able to close it.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #773 on: July 10, 2012, 05:10:37 am »

Two times has my game crashed one was when I decided to check out a small dormant volcanoe the other was when after I chopped off a Cyclop's leg and taking out the head when it crashed so I checked the log file.
Also I can't seem to be able to get it into fullscreen.

The attacklist error can be easily fixed; will be doing so today for 0.1.2. Do you have any more info about the volcano crash (a log would be perfect!)? And are you trying to fullscreen it in the options menu from the main screen, or in the options menu in-game? And are you adjusting any other options at the same time?

Crash as a dragon appeared.

i also had a crash in 1.0 where i examined the spear i picked up in my inventory.

I know exactly what causes both, and both will be dealt with today :).

Played it, quite fun. Was first killed by a cyclops with a naginata that snuck up behind me, and later got a crash checking informational about humans.
Spoiler: errorlog (click to show/hide)

Thanks; that's a new one - will check it out, and hopefully get it sorted today.

Congratulations on your first release! Looking awesome indeed :)

Broke a wolf's leg, and then turned to try and get some distance.

It crashed.

Thanks! Interesting; that should be quick to deal with. The move_towards section is pretty confusing at the moment, so I'm sure there's just a mix-up in the different methods creatures can use to pathfind...

I managed to survive a fight with a Cyclops even though it managed to trick me by sneaking up on me and me and spending 3 turns getting hit looking for where that damned thing was (really need sound or some kind of awareness of a few squares behind you), luckily all it managed to do was bruise my armour and lightly damage my leg, then a bit of exploring and I find two wolves , kill one quite easily after poking out an eye and the other one kills me quite easily :(

Next game I get a message about a Cyclops climbing but I can't see it anywhere, then I find it (trying to sneak up on me again!) and hah I damage it, then it hits my head twice to kill me >.< ahh once I get my bow I will dedicate a character to just blinding every Cyclops I see and leave it stumbling about.

That's a really good thought - I'll add a little marker that shows you what said you're being attacked on. Thanks for the idea! Haha; of course, at the moment you need to either a) sever a leg or b) attack them from higher up (try standing on a much higher position) for easy blinding potential :)

it seems to close when you put it in 12 by 12 and fullscreen.

Interesting - close with error, without? With an error log? Main menu or in-game? What settings were you on before?

Downloaded .1.1 and it doesn't work.  Specifically, I can load the first screen and see text like "new game, load game, quit, etc."  However, I can only scroll up and down the list.  I can't move to the next screen or even quit the game.  I'm forced to CTRL-ALT-DELETE to get out of game.

I'm running Windows 7 on a wide screen laptop 1366x768.  I wonder if the resolution is a problem, because I can't resize the screen either.  Can someone tell me what the "normal" key to select new game is?

Odd; 'Enter' is the way forward. Let me know if that works! If not, that's very odd...

Played 0.1.0 and during the "Saving/Loading chunks" (I think) message, the game started lagging a lot. My computer nearly crashed and I was unable to get task manager open. It took about 5 minutes for it to stop lagging and instead opted to not respond. I was able to close it then using task manager.
I was running from dragons who were destroying trees everywhere. In the middle of the lag, the game proceed to run for a moment to move me around a bit and open the menu. I tried to go to quit using the menu, since the X button didn't work. When attempting to quit, the game stopped responding and that was when I was able to close it.

Urgh. Can you remember much else? Was it the first time with the chunks message? Did the message vanish before the lag, or did the lag start with the chunks message which stayed visible? Were you able to move again after the chunks message? Which menu did you try to get back to exit?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #774 on: July 10, 2012, 09:46:30 am »

Wow, I just realized I'd accidentally disabled river animations, and I spent a *long* time on that. Now back in for 0.1.2!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #775 on: July 10, 2012, 10:51:52 am »

Will damaging certain parts of an animal's body enable you to get at others?

Something like lopping off a Cyclops' leg, causing it to fall over so you can behead it, or slashing open something's chest to stab at it's heart/lungs or any other vital organs.

also, it had better have the ability to spill guts (Like DF) because I love spilling guts and having all my enemies chasing me with their intestines dangling out behind them.

As a matter of fact, it already does! A creature with either a severed leg, or too few non-broken legs to limp on, falls, and then you can attack any part :). Guts, well... guts might appear. Guts definitely might appear.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #776 on: July 10, 2012, 01:38:18 pm »

0.1.2!

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/downloads/

Many a bug fix (scroll the page for the full list)

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
  • I appear then disappear without a trace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 10, 2012, 02:54:24 pm »

Ok for the answers to your Questions Ultima
 1. No there was no log for that one the log I showed you was all of my logs after my screen crashed the second time maybe if I explain what happened it would help you find the problem. I was exploring the map for a few mins. When I pasted this kind of wierd looking symbol that looked alot like a volcanoe so I travel to it hit the button to go to the area map where it seemed it was good because it show me the map and all that stuff but before I could even try to move around the area my computer informed me that the game had stoped working and I needed to close it.

2. For the fullscreen thing I have just tried to go to fullscreen in the title menu and it disappers that makes me thing it's about to go into fullscreen when it never does ever it just disappers.

Note this is all in 0.1.0.
Also Wow I never type this much  :o
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:56:42 pm by WraithLord24 »
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 10, 2012, 03:04:46 pm »

-snip-

Urgh. Can you remember much else? Was it the first time with the chunks message? Did the message vanish before the lag, or did the lag start with the chunks message which stayed visible? Were you able to move again after the chunks message? Which menu did you try to get back to exit?
Yep. It was the second time I had encountered that chunk message, that session. I'm not sure when the lag appeared. The lag started when the message showed up. I kinda was able to move after the chunks message, but the game just repeated my panicked movement I did when I noticed it started lagging, then showed the menu you see when you press the "X" button. I was able to navigate to "Quit" and enter it. It gave an error when quitting and stopped responding. A minute or two later, task manager finally opened and I was able to end the process.

Spoiler: Quit error (click to show/hide)

I hope this information is good. :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #779 on: July 10, 2012, 06:57:39 pm »

Ok for the answers to your Questions Ultima
 1. No there was no log for that one the log I showed you was all of my logs after my screen crashed the second time maybe if I explain what happened it would help you find the problem. I was exploring the map for a few mins. When I pasted this kind of wierd looking symbol that looked alot like a volcanoe so I travel to it hit the button to go to the area map where it seemed it was good because it show me the map and all that stuff but before I could even try to move around the area my computer informed me that the game had stoped working and I needed to close it.

2. For the fullscreen thing I have just tried to go to fullscreen in the title menu and it disappers that makes me thing it's about to go into fullscreen when it never does ever it just disappers.

Note this is all in 0.1.0.
Also Wow I never type this much  :o

Thanks for both. 1) I think the volcano error is fixed; try the latest version, and I think volcanoes are now fixed. 2) Odd. Is your screen resolution smaller than the window, which is to say, does the entire *window* fit in your screen before you maximize? And does the black screen stay, or does the game reappear if you leave it a few seconds? :)

Yep. It was the second time I had encountered that chunk message, that session. I'm not sure when the lag appeared. The lag started when the message showed up. I kinda was able to move after the chunks message, but the game just repeated my panicked movement I did when I noticed it started lagging, then showed the menu you see when you press the "X" button. I was able to navigate to "Quit" and enter it. It gave an error when quitting and stopped responding. A minute or two later, task manager finally opened and I was able to end the process.

Spoiler: Quit error (click to show/hide)

I hope this information is good. :)

Bluh; that's very strange. So chunks showed up; chunks went away; it was then lagging, and then do you mean it cut back to a really early menu suddenly? Did you press the X button and that brought up the early menu (I'm still unsure why that happens)? And by lagging, do you mean you were getting in very few moves per second, say, or that it was taking a while for your keypresses to have an effect? That's very interesting though; I'll try and figure out the cause. Could you let me know if it's ever happened again, or still happens with 0.1.2b?

On that note, v0.1.2b is up with a few extra tiny fixes. Last release for a couple of weeks, unless something truly game-breaking emerges I just can't live without fixing.

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/downloads/
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 221