Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596222 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' (v 0.1.0 finally released)
« Reply #780 on: July 10, 2012, 07:35:21 pm »

-snip-

Bluh; that's very strange. So chunks showed up; chunks went away; it was then lagging, and then do you mean it cut back to a really early menu suddenly? Did you press the X button and that brought up the early menu (I'm still unsure why that happens)? And by lagging, do you mean you were getting in very few moves per second, say, or that it was taking a while for your keypresses to have an effect? That's very interesting though; I'll try and figure out the cause. Could you let me know if it's ever happened again, or still happens with 0.1.2b?
Nope, the chunk messsage stayed for most of the lag. It started when the message appeared.
I didn't cut back to the early menu, it was sort of like the menu options overlayed the regular game. It was after I attempted mashing the X button so that I could get rid of it.
By lag, I meant the game was not reacting to anything I would do and my entire computer was slowing down to the point of near stopping.
It wasn't until I was able to hit quit in the menu that I was able to open task manager to kill it.

I would like to try, but this sort of lag is dangerous for my computer. My only way of shutting off my laptop if it freezes is pulling out it's battery and I don't exactly have a way to get it fixed if it breaks again. :(

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
  • I appear then disappear without a trace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 10, 2012, 09:53:30 pm »

Yeah Im on a laptop and the game actually goes off screen a bit so I cant see the newest messages within the game thats why I tried going into fullscreen in the first place(well I also like it too ;D) and there is no black screen it just disappers like it's about to go to the black screen then show the game but it just stays gone till I Start the game agian.
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #782 on: July 11, 2012, 05:18:20 am »

Nope, the chunk messsage stayed for most of the lag. It started when the message appeared.
I didn't cut back to the early menu, it was sort of like the menu options overlayed the regular game. It was after I attempted mashing the X button so that I could get rid of it.
By lag, I meant the game was not reacting to anything I would do and my entire computer was slowing down to the point of near stopping.
It wasn't until I was able to hit quit in the menu that I was able to open task manager to kill it.

I would like to try, but this sort of lag is dangerous for my computer. My only way of shutting off my laptop if it freezes is pulling out it's battery and I don't exactly have a way to get it fixed if it breaks again. :(

Interesting, and strange. I know what you mean about the menu thing, that needs fixing. Urgh. No, of course, don't try it again if that was the only way you could escape! I'll try and fix it and get back to you :)

Yeah Im on a laptop and the game actually goes off screen a bit so I cant see the newest messages within the game thats why I tried going into fullscreen in the first place(well I also like it too ;D) and there is no black screen it just disappers like it's about to go to the black screen then show the game but it just stays gone till I Start the game agian.

I think if you fullscreen, the current window needs to be less than your total screensize, so you could probably fullscreen on 10x10 or 8x8, maybe? For 0.2.0 I'll disable the possibility to fullscreen for a certain font size if your resolution is too low!

Finally, volcanoes still weren't working, but now I think they are. 0.1.2c, genuinely the last update for a few weeks!
http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/downloads/

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #783 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:43 am »

Managed to recreate the lag problem! I don't know how, but I just got it. Investigating...

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 11, 2012, 10:52:40 pm »

I've been following this pretty closely since you started the thread here, and I have to say you're off to an awesome start. I like the aesthetics of the travel mode, the fact that the world is not filling up the whole screen makes it feel like you're navigating a map.

Some UI things:

On the ground, it might be useful to let people know when they're approaching a loading area so they can avoid it if they wish. On the same note, the quotes that pop up are nice, but it obscures the view around your character. If you were in the middle of a fight, I might use that loading time to analyze the tactical situation.

For me personally, it is kind of awkward to use backspace as the "go back" key. I instinctively press "escape" if I want to exit something. You could always enable both.

In the skill select screen, you might want to allow people to hold shift + left/right arrows to increase/decrease skill points by 5 or 10 at a time. In general, the 1000 skill points to begin with is huge. I like that things could be fine tailored so much, but I need to sink a lot of time into customizing the character, and frankly the amount of options are overwhelming. The presets are a godsend though.

Anyway, congrats again on your first release.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 12, 2012, 12:16:10 am »

:o
Just downloaded this and got owned by Cyclops. UI is excellent, I can't say much else that hasn't already been said however. It's great to finally be able to play around with this, alpha or no. :)

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 12, 2012, 01:09:42 am »

I find it odd that I can slash an ogre's leg to the bone and he still can stand. I think the damage model is a little too generous to the injured. Then I broke his bone, and he still stood and attacked. It's pretty much necessary to break both legs before they fall.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #787 on: July 12, 2012, 05:36:15 am »

I've been following this pretty closely since you started the thread here, and I have to say you're off to an awesome start. I like the aesthetics of the travel mode, the fact that the world is not filling up the whole screen makes it feel like you're navigating a map.

Some UI things:

On the ground, it might be useful to let people know when they're approaching a loading area so they can avoid it if they wish. On the same note, the quotes that pop up are nice, but it obscures the view around your character. If you were in the middle of a fight, I might use that loading time to analyze the tactical situation.

For me personally, it is kind of awkward to use backspace as the "go back" key. I instinctively press "escape" if I want to exit something. You could always enable both.

In the skill select screen, you might want to allow people to hold shift + left/right arrows to increase/decrease skill points by 5 or 10 at a time. In general, the 1000 skill points to begin with is huge. I like that things could be fine tailored so much, but I need to sink a lot of time into customizing the character, and frankly the amount of options are overwhelming. The presets are a godsend though.

Anyway, congrats again on your first release.

Thanks, glad to hear it! Specifics: interesting point re: loading screens. I might move them to the very top of the screen instead. I'll add escape in happily. As for the skills screen, it's going to be completely changed for 0.2.0 and replaced with something much closer to a (madly complex) skill tree (I'm currently working on), which will have few initial options and be a much more gradual thing :). A few people have commented on the skills page, and that, combined with the fact that skills of that type have no choices between a or b, or better/worse routes, or specialities or anything else, makes it rather less interesting than the kind of skill tree I'm imagining.

:o
Just downloaded this and got owned by Cyclops. UI is excellent, I can't say much else that hasn't already been said however. It's great to finally be able to play around with this, alpha or no. :)

Awesome, glad you like the UI! In about a week I'll release a big fix with 0.1.3 so you'll be able to wander around a lot more, and creatures/items will be much, much more visible...

I find it odd that I can slash an ogre's leg to the bone and he still can stand. I think the damage model is a little too generous to the injured. Then I broke his bone, and he still stood and attacked. It's pretty much necessary to break both legs before they fall.

Yep, as I said on the download page, combat takes far too long at the moment. It's going to be significantly reworked for 0.2.0 both in terms of skills that affect combat, and in terms of mechanics, and it will be much quicker (though still equally brutal!). Oh, yes, and one broken leg will definitely knock people down.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 12, 2012, 05:59:41 am »

URRO-1-2c.zip gives me this error when I try to unzip it.
'The archive is either in unknown format or damaged'

I will try version b.

edit: Older version aren't downloadable apparently. I guess I'll just wait until you have a new version which hopefully works for me :).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:01:19 am by Dutchling »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 12, 2012, 06:48:33 am »

It sounds like you just have a bad download, try again maybe?

When approaching the sea I got the following message:
Code: [Select]
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Assertion Failed!

Program: [directory]\URR0-1-2c.exe
File: src/console_c.c
Line: 220

Expression: dat != ((void *)0 && (unsigned)(x) < (unsigned)dat->w &&
(unsigned)(y) < (unsigned)dat->h
The game then crashed when I selected "Retry".

Also, I can't get the options to save. Are they meant to?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 12, 2012, 08:02:47 am »

'Aha, as always i tend to find exploits ...

Go to your skill selection at char-gen.
Spend points.
Go back (backspace)
Spend more points
-Repeat.

So help says S for skills... but neither S nor s does anything... infact, I can't do much of anything at all besides [T]ravel and walk around, is the help just kind of presenting features to be added in the future?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:11:35 am by ThtblovesDF »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #791 on: July 12, 2012, 08:12:14 am »

URRO-1-2c.zip gives me this error when I try to unzip it.
'The archive is either in unknown format or damaged'

I will try version b.

edit: Older version aren't downloadable apparently. I guess I'll just wait until you have a new version which hopefully works for me :).

Urgh, sorry about that. From now on I'll put up zips and rars together!

It sounds like you just have a bad download, try again maybe?

When approaching the sea I got the following message:
Code: [Select]
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Assertion Failed!

Program: [directory]\URR0-1-2c.exe
File: src/console_c.c
Line: 220

Expression: dat != ((void *)0 && (unsigned)(x) < (unsigned)dat->w &&
(unsigned)(y) < (unsigned)dat->h
The game then crashed when I selected "Retry".

Also, I can't get the options to save. Are they meant to?

Common error; fixing it for 0.1.3 on Monday! They will in the future, but they don't just yet.

'Aha, as always i tend to find exploits ...

Go to your skill selection at char-gen.
Spend points.
Go back (backspace)
Spend more points
-Repeat.

Ha, well spotted. However, skills will be *totally* changed come 0.2.0, so that won't matter for too long!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 12, 2012, 09:52:00 am »

Hm, well I downloaded it and made a soldier character. Then a dragon came and I poked it until it died (it didn't attack), then I left the map and the game crashed when I tried to leave the current chunk (By heading east, not via "t"ravel.). No error log.

Edit: Tried again, started a warrior and got mauled by wolves.

I notice even with skill level 30 in heavy weapon aim I still kept attack their legs even though I was aiming at their heads.

Oh, this time I *did* get an error message when I pressed "J" to quit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:15:24 am by Blaze »

FlyingIcarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 12, 2012, 01:31:32 pm »

Any plans on a forum soon? We could definitely use a place to discuss the game and such.

Elshar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheekan.org
« Reply #794 on: July 12, 2012, 03:41:31 pm »

That'd be cool. Even better if Toady would let it live here.

Any plans on a forum soon? We could definitely use a place to discuss the game and such.
arr!
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 221