Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596217 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - strategy/roguelike/4x (v 0.2.0 released 26/11/2012!)
« Reply #1080 on: November 26, 2012, 04:54:09 pm »

Under tectonic activity:

"Mountains are difficult to pass through, but may therefore serve as a natural defense against hosSquare nations."

I think it's supposed to be "hostile" though nations that oppose me are indeed square.

Generating my world now. I hope to wander aimlessly for hours!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1081 on: November 26, 2012, 05:30:12 pm »

This different worlds with optional moons idea is AWESOME!

Will the moons have different effects somehow? A cult that worships the moon and stuff like that? I wish we had lycanthropy. The moon would work in an awesome way with lycanthropy.

BTW, main menu is really neat, like everything else. Game doesn't even feel like alpha because of the neatness of UI :D

Awesome! Glad you like it :) - yes, moons will affect cults and myths and religions, and the planetary system in general will actually have a big role to play in a lot of the tougher dungeon puzzles I have planned... but no more on that just yet. You'll see some moon/planet effects in religions come 1.0.0!

Under tectonic activity:

"Mountains are difficult to pass through, but may therefore serve as a natural defense against hosSquare nations."

I think it's supposed to be "hostile" though nations that oppose me are indeed square.

Generating my world now. I hope to wander aimlessly for hours!

Well spotted - I changed all "Tile" to "Square" but evidently didn't think about what else that might alter. Whoops. Anyway, enjoy!

Smashness

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:SLEEP:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 26, 2012, 06:04:35 pm »

I was wandering, and climbed a volcano (which was absolutely impossible to do in the last version), then noticed jumping 28 levels no longer grinds you into a fine mist. Thanks for changing that system.

A question about the plants, will they, in future releases be able to help you hide from enemies, like climbing into trees or hiding in particularly thick bushes? Also, is there any wildlife in this release?

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: November 26, 2012, 06:05:38 pm »

What's the other secret besides having a solar system?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1084 on: November 26, 2012, 06:26:08 pm »

I was wandering, and climbed a volcano (which was absolutely impossible to do in the last version), then noticed jumping 28 levels no longer grinds you into a fine mist. Thanks for changing that system.

A question about the plants, will they, in future releases be able to help you hide from enemies, like climbing into trees or hiding in particularly thick bushes? Also, is there any wildlife in this release?

Haha; fall damage will be returning, though in a rather more carefully done manner than before. Yes, I think so, re: hiding from foes; I am going to add plants and maybe bushes and things in some later release. There is no wildlife - you are the only creature on the planet at the moment!

What's the other secret besides having a solar system?

The generated art on the main menu!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1085 on: November 26, 2012, 07:30:59 pm »

Working on 0.2.1 now, aiming for this weekend; as well as fixing the odd small bug people have found, I hope to allow you to export maps to .png! In later versions there will be various text-based things you can export into .txt as well, but for now, you'll be able to export the three world map views, and what your surrounding area looks like.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:41:24 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: November 26, 2012, 08:09:55 pm »

Writing this as I play the new release:

Menu looks amazing. Already the best ASCII interface I've ever seen in a game. Shweet.

Since there are no enemies, I didn't mess around with the weapon tree just yet. Figure I'll test that later when there are things to stab.

Running and sprinting work great. I thought I was so cool that I'd totally sprint a mile on willpower - that didn't work at all. It's a good thing that willpower drains faster, though. If you're smart, I don't think you should ever TRY to rely upon willpower.

Traveled to a forest and saw some awesome looking trees (They. Look. So. Cool.). Also, climbed a bit, jumped off some 3 z-level cliffs. Didn't explode, so I was happy. It makes sense that my character can survive a fall about 3 of his own body lengths down, but I'm a bit worried - will the character be able to look and estimate the length of the fall before we decide to jump? I only ask because it's kind of difficult to tell how far down a cliff goes in a 2d top-down environment. Also, I will climbing trees be a feature as well? (Don't know if someone already asked that).
Transitions from high to low places and vice-versa look very nice too. Thought I should mention that.

All in all, pretty dang sweet. While I am definitely impatient to see the release the includes combat, I hope that you'll take as much time as you need to polish it and not rush the job. You've certainly done awesome work on what's there so far. Keep it up!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: November 27, 2012, 04:51:53 am »

This game have a potential to become my favorite... PTF
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: November 27, 2012, 05:02:43 am »

Follow, one presumes?  :)

The new version looks great, I am heartily impressed.

Some of the commands seem destined to follow the normal Roguelike design mantra of 'esoteric extended command lists are good' - Have you got any plans to have e.g. right-click context sensitive interfaces or other such things? A neat and compact interface would do wonders for the accessibility of the game in future, I feel, especially as it gets more and more complex.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: November 27, 2012, 05:10:28 am »

Yep, to follow

To not be entirely off topic

IMO, Planetary generation should give more moons to gas giants. Yes, I suspect that it will not affect gameplay in like several dozens of versions but still
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ikaruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: November 27, 2012, 06:41:46 am »

This game has a huge potential !

I played a bit with it and I so can't wait to play the "full game" !

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: November 27, 2012, 11:03:24 am »

Will you be able to get married? The reason why I am asking this is I want to see something along the line of 'dynasty' or 'lineage' from crusader kings 2.
You die, and your son, or even daughter inherits, and you get the option to continue playing.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1092 on: November 27, 2012, 12:07:59 pm »

Writing this as I play the new release:

Menu looks amazing. Already the best ASCII interface I've ever seen in a game. Shweet.

Since there are no enemies, I didn't mess around with the weapon tree just yet. Figure I'll test that later when there are things to stab.

Running and sprinting work great. I thought I was so cool that I'd totally sprint a mile on willpower - that didn't work at all. It's a good thing that willpower drains faster, though. If you're smart, I don't think you should ever TRY to rely upon willpower.

Traveled to a forest and saw some awesome looking trees (They. Look. So. Cool.). Also, climbed a bit, jumped off some 3 z-level cliffs. Didn't explode, so I was happy. It makes sense that my character can survive a fall about 3 of his own body lengths down, but I'm a bit worried - will the character be able to look and estimate the length of the fall before we decide to jump? I only ask because it's kind of difficult to tell how far down a cliff goes in a 2d top-down environment. Also, I will climbing trees be a feature as well? (Don't know if someone already asked that).
Transitions from high to low places and vice-versa look very nice too. Thought I should mention that.

All in all, pretty dang sweet. While I am definitely impatient to see the release the includes combat, I hope that you'll take as much time as you need to polish it and not rush the job. You've certainly done awesome work on what's there so far. Keep it up!

Re: menu - thank you! May I quote you on the "best interface" bit at some point :)? That makes sense; similarly, the trees are naturally up for alteration as/when combat mechanics get added. Glad you like the running/sprinting mechanics; whilst obviously the exact values for stamina and time will need tweaking and playtesting (and the extent to which things like armour/weight/strength/endurance affect them), I'm happy with the outline of the system I've got going at the moment. That's great to hear about the trees! Hopefully I can make buildings/ruins/caves as interesting!

Tree-climbing: yes, definitely, but I don't know when. Far from essential at the moment though, obviously, so probably not for a while. The messages about the strength of tree branches if you examine them is the first small component of that, though. Glad you like the transitions. As for viewing height, the only current way is to 'l'ook at the terrain below you, and it will tell you how far down it is. Combat is still a way off, though I might actually end up needing to implement it for some of the dungeon areas, or at least more abilities like jumping etc, but we'll see. Otherwise, it's going to have to come after history gen and dungeon gen.

Anyway, my thanks for the very detailed feedback - it's great to know what's working and what could be improved.

This game have a potential to become my favorite... PTF

Glad to hear it!

The new version looks great, I am heartily impressed.

Some of the commands seem destined to follow the normal Roguelike design mantra of 'esoteric extended command lists are good' - Have you got any plans to have e.g. right-click context sensitive interfaces or other such things? A neat and compact interface would do wonders for the accessibility of the game in future, I feel, especially as it gets more and more complex.

Thank you :). Sadly, yes, though that is not on purpose just to stick to the norm - simply because there are so damned many commands I'm going to need! I have no plans for mouse support, BUT I might add it for things like the look function at some later date. Uncertain.

To not be entirely off topic

IMO, Planetary generation should give more moons to gas giants. Yes, I suspect that it will not affect gameplay in like several dozens of versions but still

I think it does? Maybe it doesn't. I'll check. Indeed so - it will affect gameplay in 1.0.0 from religion/cult/myth generation, and as I say, it will have a big role in some of the dungeon "bosses" (which are mainly not physical combat), but I'm not saying more on that just yet.

This game has a huge potential !

I played a bit with it and I so can't wait to play the "full game" !

Thanks! The game will be rather more full come 1.0.0, but come 2.0.0, there will actually be places to explore, believe it or not, at which point the "gameplay" will finally start appearing :)

Will you be able to get married? The reason why I am asking this is I want to see something along the line of 'dynasty' or 'lineage' from crusader kings 2.
You die, and your son, or even daughter inherits, and you get the option to continue playing.

Absolutely - a similar idea I think I mentioned on my blog aaaaages ago, about dynastic and legacies and things. Families (with a capital F) are going to be a part of history generation, with coats of arms and everything, so that'll definitely be included.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: November 27, 2012, 12:26:09 pm »

So URR it seems like you inadvertingly with your three stamina bars... created the three qualities of zombies.

Zombies that get unlimited 1 bar, unlimited 2 bars, or unlimited 3 bars.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: November 27, 2012, 05:11:53 pm »

Real quick with Stamina and Falling: It's my opinion that you shouldn't regain Stamina during "flight". I figure Stam is usually regained when relaxing or not participating in much action. Hurtling towards the earth is far from relaxing, in my opinion. Maybe have Stam regen reduced while falling, or have stamina regenerate but have landing reduce stamina depending on the strength of the impact.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 221