Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596251 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.4 released!
« Reply #1920 on: February 27, 2014, 08:20:01 am »

Not to mention 'actual' roguelikes, which there really are a lot of I think? Unless you only count finished ones of course :P. Not sure if that ever happened~

Actually I consider dungeons of Dredmor to be a typical roguelike (Sort of). As well the typical roguelike strategy is to eventually just give up and consider the game finished.

Remember you're talking to Neonivek

Has... this become... a Meme? Or have I somehow developed a Catcher-phrase?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:57:56 am by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: February 27, 2014, 05:38:30 pm »

Has... this become... a Meme? Or have I somehow developed a Catcher-phrase?
It's just because you tend to come out of the left field a lot in conversations. And then sometimes not quite explain where you're coming from for six pages. And then continue to come from the left field once a certain amount of understanding between parties has been reached. I kind of expected a two page derail on the fundamental nature of a roguelike.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: February 27, 2014, 05:55:05 pm »

Naw more or less I like that Ultima Ratio Regum seems to be pushing the envelope and actually stands a chance of being completed along with easily being a platform for other games to copy and develop interesting similar gameplay.

Especially in a genre I feel needs the attention. Which I didn't really argue because it just fell to opinion: I feel like the genre is still somewhat stagnant while Dutchling considers the current selection to be proof that it isn't. We both have the same info but came to different conclusions.

I haven’t even begun to think about the scoring system yet, but it will be very clear how many of the nine dungeons have been cleared when a player completes the game.

One feature I've been very fond of is when Roguelikes actually keep track of how you are playing the game and actually comment. Such as if you managed to be a vegetarian.

It would be interesting when there is a scoring system that there are aspects of that.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:10:12 pm by Neonivek »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1923 on: March 01, 2014, 09:14:23 pm »

Once again thanks Ultima Ratio Regum for contributing to the small force of people managing to pull roguelikes out of their current state of stagnation.

Edit: That sounds wrong somehow. I'll edit it a bit.

Honestly Roguelikes have a lot of untapped potential and I am glad it is starting to get tapped.

Thanks for the amazing compliment :). Today's update is a day late (it'll be up tomorrow), but now development on 0.5 has resumed properly and I'm pushing ahead at a very solid speed.

I haven’t even begun to think about the scoring system yet, but it will be very clear how many of the nine dungeons have been cleared when a player completes the game.

One feature I've been very fond of is when Roguelikes actually keep track of how you are playing the game and actually comment. Such as if you managed to be a vegetarian.

It would be interesting when there is a scoring system that there are aspects of that.

I most definitely intend to have a scoring system, and possibly some kind of optional conduct system too - we'll have to see!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1924 on: March 02, 2014, 08:02:20 am »

Development resumes! Now that the first draft of my thesis is finished I’m back to working on the game properly for the next two months towards 0.5. The priority at the moment is finishing off families for each civilization. As mentioned in several previous posts, in URR you won’t be starting the game as a random peasant as in most RPGs set in a non-contemporary era, but rather you’ll be starting as part of a ruling house. This means from the start you’ll have access to a lot of things your character in other RPGs might not have, and also serves important plot reasons which will be more apparent later. The main thing I needed to finish this week was the way in which the game generates mottoes. I’ve created a system where the game has a list of adjectives, nouns etc appropriate to each icon – so as a rather obvious example, the “Gauntlet” symbol might be accompanied by “might”, “mighty”, “strength”, etc – and can then put together sentences appropriate to that shield. For shields which consist of a number of items it pools all the words into a database and then build a motto from a random selection. I don’t know how many mottoes are viable, but it’s a very large number. There are also some “special” mottoes which can be assigned to each shield which I’ve hand-written – sometimes you can tell which these are, but in some cases the motto generator is sufficiently good that even I have once or twice been unsure if a particular motto was one I wrote myself, or one the game generated!

To allow you to view the kind of in-game data, I’ve now begun work on the encyclopedia. This is distinct from the guidebook – the guidebook is designed to be a very basic guide (with a minimum of hand-holding) about core game mechanics and information, but without any information about your objectives, good strategies, etc. I’ll be adding several new sections to that for this release, and for each release until (funnily enough) it’s full. The encyclopedia, by contrast, will be unique to each game, and will be constructed via in-game information each time you play. It will start off relatively empty, but the more information you gain, the more will appear. The first page of the encyclopedia currently looks like this:

I think those are all the important categories, but a couple more might be added in time. You select a category, and you get a list of everything your character knows that fits into that category. I’ve been working on implementing the civs list in the encyclopedia, and now that’s working, I’ve been adding in the family list. For the sake of testing all families generated in game are visible (and with numerical placeholder names), so the family screen currently looks like this:

To the right of the coat of arms will be other relevant information like the civilization the family belongs to, the important people within it, whether it is a ruling family, their chief interests, etc. There may be two pages of information for each family or just one with the information tightly compressed. In the game, therefore, this screen will only start with information about the families within your chosen civilization – and any others your civ has close trade/military/diplomatic contact with – and will fill up as the game proceeds.

There have also been a few other developments. Nomadic and hunter-gatherer civilizations now show up on the world map when you look over them (the numerical names are naturally placeholders)…

…and each type of civilization is distinct on the map. Feudal civilizations are stripes in their flag colours (like the green/orange and the blue/cyan civs shown here), nomadic civilizations are given a zigzag pattern, while hunter-gatherer civilizations (with two-colour flags) are given solid blocks of colour, but they are generally small in size so easily identifiable without having to look over them and find out what they are. This week my objectives are to finish off everything to do with families – which means family trees, family status, and everything else that can be done in this release before I started generating cities, and therefore family dwellings, next release – and then move onto integrating religions into civilizations. I’ve been working on a generator for religions, and they are producing some very interesting names and beliefs, and with any luck I’ll be able to say more about that next week.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1925 on: March 03, 2014, 03:57:49 pm »

Solid day of coding - got religions generating names, their belief systems, pantheons of gods, then assigning them to civilizations (some larger religions are shared between multiple civs), and getting their religious symbols and names showing on the choose-a-civ page and in the in-game encyclopedia. Next up will be having the player choose whether or not to follow the dominant religion of their civ (if any), then starting to think about keeping track of what religions are represented (altars, churches, whatever) in towns and other settlements...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1926 on: March 07, 2014, 06:23:02 pm »

Today I have been working on starting city maps by splitting them into districts (which I'll be showing off tomorrow), some more work on religions, generating the names for hunter-gatherer settlements, and allowing you to choose whether to follow a dominant civ religion or not. And, since my schedule is messed up, I'm only half way through "today"...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1927 on: March 08, 2014, 09:51:28 am »

This week I’ve been working on two major things – religions and cities. I haven’t totally finished off religions yet so I’m going to leave those for next week’s update, and focus now instead on cities. For a couple of weeks cities have been generating names based on how their civilization likes to name cities (there’s a huge variety of possibilities in this regard – not all city names are just “X+Y” “Winterhome”, “Axehearth” style) but the cities have only appeared on the world map as outlines, produced by the city’s reasonably-organic growth after several centuries of simulated time.

Although generating the interiors of cities for the player to work around are going to happen in the release after the one I’m working on now (currently 0.5, city interiors will see the light of day in 0.6), I decided to work on generating the rough outline of those interiors so that I could begin to fill up the “Cities” section of the in-game encyclopedia with some meaningful information. Thus, cities are split into districts. I’ve done this for several reasons. Firstly it will aid the player in knowing approximately where in the city they want to go for a particular objective by splitting the city into distinct parts; secondly it is arguably more realistic when one considers the kinds of layout post-medieval cities had; thirdly it allows for various mechanics involving the player either being allowed into certain districts, or being able to sneak/fight your way in, rather than having the city as a single huge map; and, fourthly, it allows for some rather aesthetically pleasing city maps. There are currently a range of districts planned. Here’s an incomplete list of what will generate in each district:

Docks: Ships. (Blue ‘D’)
Market: All types of item shop. (Yellow ‘$’)
Recreational: Arenas, pubs, gambling. (Purple ‘R’)
Upper Class Housing: Noble houses. (White ’1′)
Middle Class Housing: Guilds? (Light Grey ’2′)
Lower Class Housing: Jails, keysmiths. (Grey ’3′)
Medical: Gardens, Apothecaries, Hospitals, Fountains, physicians. (Green ‘+’)
Military: Barracks, weapon/armour traders, smiths. (Red ‘[‘)
City Centre: Cathedrals (and equivalents), libraries, government, universities, courts, mints, etc. (Blue Diamond)
Castle: Dungeons, ruler (if Monarchy/Stratocracy), weapons/armour, treasury. (Grey ‘#’)
Religious: Many religious temples, smaller altars, etc. (Lilac ‘^’)

Once I’d settled on this, I needed to get the game generating the districts in sensible layouts. This took a bit of working out because there were a range of variables. Firstly there were some districts cities had to have – such as city centres, and castles, and so forth. Secondly I had to order additional districts, like military or medical districts, in an appropriate order and probability weighting to get them appearing at the kind of frequency I want; thirdly, and most trickily, I needed to make sure districts that could sometimes be viable – such as docks if near a cost, military districts if the civ isn’t pacifist, and religious districts if the civ allows freedom or religion – generated in the right cities, knew which districts they were “more important than”, and generally were integrated into the lists of the generic districts well. Once this was done, I then worked on getting the cities to show in a zoomed-in map the player will be able to view both in the encyclopedia, and when moving between districts. I’m very happy with how these have come out:

Castles and city centres are *generally* close to the middle of the city, but you can get significant variation if the city has grown in a strange shape, existed near a coast where it couldn’t necessarily spread out a lot, or simply if the 1/9 chance (I think) for a castle or city centre to not be at the geographical centre of the city comes to pass. I’m still deciding what other information the encyclopedia should display for cities, but this will be one key part. In later versions city districts will be unknown until the player either explores them for the first time or learns information about that district from some other source, but for now I’ve just got it showing all the districts. Next week I’ll be talking about religions, their icons/symbols, how they generate, what benefits/disadvantages they give you, and what agendas religions may want their followers to pursue.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: March 09, 2014, 06:58:37 pm »

fourthly, it allows for some rather aesthetically pleasing city maps.
You're not joking around about that. Goddamn, those are pretty.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1929 on: March 10, 2014, 02:12:18 pm »

Haha, thanks. Currently adding some stuff external to the walls, like graveyards and slums...

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 10, 2014, 02:18:50 pm »

Yes. You gotta stop making everything so pretty or we will not be able to play any other roguelikes anymore.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1931 on: March 10, 2014, 08:30:16 pm »

Yes. You gotta stop making everything so pretty or we will not be able to play any other roguelikes anymore.

I actually once entertained the idea of an April Fools release where I just reduce everything to atrocious ASCII scribbles, but in the end I decided it would be just too much work to convert it all to something uglier :(

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1932 on: March 11, 2014, 11:27:56 am »

Example of languages! The Hagiocracy of Bequo're was ruled by the family of Fequa'he (who controlled the Council of the Sacrosanct that passed legislation), and also contained the families of So'qurre and Fegga'pe. I think the linguistic similarities within a civ are coming out really nicely. Also got graveyards and slums appearing outside cities and farms near towns and cities. Family trees also now generate, highlighting any rulers, living/dead, marriages, and the player's location in family (if appropriate).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: March 11, 2014, 01:39:44 pm »

Sounds like things are shaping up nicely!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ikaruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: March 12, 2014, 04:45:50 am »

A question about the plot you talked about : will you be able to completely ignore it and travel around, talk to people, fight stuff, etc. ?
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 221